UKBouldering.com

WANTED: Mont Blanc Range Topo Guide Volume 1 - Michel Piola (Read 3446 times)

JR

• forum abuser
Does anyone have a copy of this I can take off their hands?  Its 1988 topo guide to mainly the bolted routes on the chamonix aiguilles, volume 1 the blue covered one, I have volume 2 the pink one.  Although its old the topos are awesome and really useful.  It went out of print a couple of years ago and is hard to find because no-one is really that interested in it so it hasn't become an ultra classic.

Publisher: Editions Equinoxe
Author: Michel Piola
Title: Mont Blanc Range Topo Guide Vol 1

Its halfway down the page here:
http://www.needlesports.com/acatalog/Mail_Order_France_116.html

Cheers

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
You want the english version, the french Version or not bothered?

I might be able to sort out a loaner for you, but not been in touch with the guy for a while.

JR

• forum abuser
either, ideally english but not too bothered as its the topos that are the important bit.  Was looking to buy/swap it rather than borrow if that's possible.

cheers

BenF

• forum hero
I've got an english version but I'm afraid I still use it because it's so clear and simple, so I won't be selling it (plus it has great sentimental value having been on so many trips with it since I was just a callow teenager on my first alpine summer). 

However, I can copy pages for you if you're desperate for a particular topo.  Last summer when I was in Chamonix there were copies for sale so you should be able to get one if you look hard enough.

JR

• forum abuser
Last summer when I was in Chamonix there were copies for sale so you should be able to get one if you look hard enough.

Really, i'm intrigued as to where.  I spend quite a lot of time there and have never seen it in the last few years.

BenF

• forum hero
Erm, maybe I was tripping when I wrote that the other day.  I'm sure I saw copies of it in the usual places (eg Snell) last year or at least I have a memory of being surprised at seeing it still for sale last year (which does not bode well).  So, as I cannot actually place where I saw it, it may be that I am getting confused and that I didn't actually see it last year but have a kind of false memory of seeing it that has formed through seeing it so many times in previous trips to Chamonix over the past fifteen years that I expected to see it last year and my mind simply constructed its own version of seeing it in the shops last year from memories of seeing it for sale previously. 

On the other hand, I may have seen in last year and have simply forgotten where.

I hope you find a copy because it really is awesome as you say.  The topos generally pretty good (with a few exception that have caused me much worry as I've gone way off route onto shitty rock, once because the topo missed a whole pitch out) and I like Piola's style in the guide.  I usually photocopy the topo pages that I will need and laminate them to take on the route in a handy pocket sized micro style.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal