UKBouldering.com

Climbing Walls and Gyms. Rules that drive you nuts or make you leave. (Read 3215 times)

thunderbeest

• regular
I truly think that when people started climbing in shorts is when it all went down hill with climbing.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
"The path of the righteous boulderer is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the rules and the tyranny of wall owners. Blessed is He who in the name of friction and good performance shepherds the weak out of the gym, for He is truly his brother's spotter and the finder of lost cellphones. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison my session and destroy my brothers' ankles. And you will know My name is the Lord when I land my feet upon your chest cavity."
Fiend, 25.04.24.

Tattooed across your chest.

SA Chris

• forum hero
[.... and it finally hit me. OTE 78

Doubt I still have that one!

SamT

• forum hero
"The path of the righteous boulderer is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the rules and the tyranny of wall owners. Blessed is He who in the name of friction and good performance shepherds the weak out of the gym, for He is truly his brother's spotter and the finder of lost cellphones. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison my session and destroy my brothers' ankles. And you will know My name is the Lord when I land my feet upon your chest cavity."
Fiend, 25.04.24.

Tattooed across your chest.

Pass me my chalk bag please... its the one with Bad Motherfucker written on it...  :lol:

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
No bouldering wall in Toulouse and more or less no bouldering wall in Barcelona allow for loose chalk. They all require liquid chalk. Which is horrible and doesn't really work, or work temporarly because there is resin in the mix, cakeing the holds in a miserable slop. (Please don't use these products outside!) However, many of the walls tacitly allow loose chalk, if hidden discretely, at the training boards (as those cannot be cleaned regularly and imagine the state of those if people were using resin!). I avoid any gym not having a board were surreptitiously use of chalk is allowed.

Tops on is not a huge deal for me, super light weight vests exist for exactly this reason. Belay tests are fine if I don't have to pay for them. (I can pretend to tie in with a figure of eight for a day. I can even belay with an ATC for a day if my partner promise not to fall or hang.)

The biggest dealbreaker for me is bad or too unvaried setting in my grade range. Just leave and don't come back until reliable sources inform that the setting has gotten better.

I hate when I have to give up my phone number for membership. I do not trust gyms not to loose this data or have an employee sell it on (took about one week of having a new number in Spain until someone had sold it on to spammers/scammers). I should really have a fake number memorised for all such inquires. I have a fake email memorised that I always use if I have to give it up.

« Last Edit: Yesterday at 11:54:50 am by jwi »

Tom de Gay

• menacing presence
Silently changing the policy of who can climb there.

At the sprog’s insistence, we made a long trip to a certain London bouldering wall designed with kids and beginners in mind. We were barred from entering at 4pm on a Saturday, as it turned out they had changed their policy a couple of weeks earlier and kids were no longer allowed in after 4pm. No announcement of this by email, in their monthly newsletter, on insta/twitter. 

I did not lose my shit, but the 4 year-old – seeing adults and older kids climbing in a decidedly unbusy wall – felt unfairly excluded had a major meltdown on the way home. It has taken him about a year to rekindle enthusiasm for climbing. But we won't be going back there.

Fair enough if a policy needs to change, but maybe tell your customers first.

galpinos

• forum hero
[.... and it finally hit me. OTE 78

Doubt I still have that one!

Always in easy reach of my home office desk…..

SA Chris

• forum hero

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal