UKBouldering.com

One for the runners (Read 159154 times)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#675 Re: One for the runners
Today at 11:26:02 am
That's interesting Chris, I wonder if it was just coincidence or it really works like that. Father in law got a ballot place first time by selecting the 'agree to donate your entry fee and get a better chance / free training top' option, though perhaps has a less common postcode too.

I'm in no hurry - I run quite a few long trail races and am not really motivated by a road marathon, but would like to do London just the once. I'll keep entering the ballot and when it eventually happens, that'll be the year and I'll put in a decent training effort.

Who knows? A friend in an even more obscure postcode has applied to the ballot every year for 10 years and not got in, maybe it's number of people living in that post code vs applications (speculating wildly). I was never really that keen either, and if it hadn't fallen on the day of my 50th i probably wouldn't have bothered, but partner said give it a go, you never know. I put in a block of fairly hard training, enough to be walking a fine line of being injured (ITB was really painful for last 3km), but it was a wonderful experience to do, and recommended. Never had the desire since to do another marathon though (might do another ultra though, a lot less stressful).

chriss

• obsessive maniac
#676 Re: One for the runners
Today at 05:52:00 pm
I think the ballot thing is pretty random. I live in the South East & know diehards that have never got in & people who enter for the craic & shit themselves because they get in. I think the way to go with London if you are determined is to find an obscure charity that's not after £1000000000000.....

Many of my friends, proper runner's and charity chugger love it as a race or 'bucket list event' I've done a few marathons, the biggest being Brighton twice, but never fancied it.

T_B

• forum hero
#677 Re: One for the runners
Today at 06:53:11 pm
I got in on my first attempt via the ballot.

Not sure whether I’d ever do another road mara but I get why people want to do London. It’s a pretty incredible experience.

I also suspect there are ways to get a charity place without necessarily raising tons of cash.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal