UKBouldering.com

One armism (Read 27457 times)

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#50 Re: One armism
June 08, 2007, 10:50:51 am
Reading this thread is reminiscent of watching "Clash of the Titans" or "Jason and the Argonauts" etc - any of those films where the mighty gods on mighty Mount Olympus have mighty arguments about the precise extent of their mightiness

... although I suspect the participants in this discussion aren't overweight or wearing togas ::)    ;D 

account_inactive

• forum hero
#51 Re: One armism
June 08, 2007, 11:21:43 am
I think you will find I am indeed overweight and wearing a toga, thank you.

I can indeed (normally) do a one armer, but not from a straight locked out position.  I've only ever tried doing them from a slight bend.  I find that trying them (or locking) on small holds/campus rungs to be better for climbing specific training and on a bar for showing off.

Caveat:  I can also do 1-4-7 easily but am still a pretty shit climber.  Make of that what you will

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#52 Re: One armism
June 08, 2007, 12:30:47 pm
I think you will find I am indeed overweight and wearing a toga, thank you.

You want to look like some sort of freak? Muumuu not good enough for you?

a dense loner

• forum hero
#53 Re: One armism
June 08, 2007, 12:32:33 pm
Every man and his dog should be deadhanging long before they're worrying about doin one armers
now you're talking arnold

webbo

• forum hero
#54 Re: One armism
June 08, 2007, 02:51:47 pm
Every man and his dog should be deadhanging long before they're worrying about doin one armers
now you're talking arnold

by deadhanging do you mean auto erotic deviancy i.e.ribboning gone wrong.

a dense loner

• forum hero
#55 Re: One armism
June 08, 2007, 02:55:50 pm
worked for hutchence, well not technically him but everyone else

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#56 Re: One armism
June 08, 2007, 03:13:09 pm
as cowboyhat told me last swiss trip, training is all about achieving goals.
Doing a one armer is a good and acheivable goal for everone. all depends how much time and effort you put in.
A full one armer from straight arm is really hard to do.
Nigel and Keith - look at us!

Nigel

• forum hero
#57 Re: One armism
June 08, 2007, 04:45:35 pm
Yes Jim it is hard although obviously it feels fine when you do it. I found the key to be sorting out the section breaking the lock from a straight arm, which requires a lot of back strength to keep the shoulder in the right place. Benching, overhead presses (military presses I think the're called), and weighted press-ups for three weeks and I had it cracked. I think this is a very important aspect of arm strength which is often neglected in favour of endless sets of 4/5 assissted one arms with too much assistance, i.e. .10kg, which don't do much in terms of strength gains.

Sorry to stop the fun but I thought it might be useful for anyone out there close to a one arm.  :shrug:

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#58 Re: One armism
June 08, 2007, 05:50:20 pm
Quote from: 'Nigel'
I recently did a one arm from full extension. Does that make me a training fanatic?

I found the key to be sorting out the section breaking the lock from a straight arm, which requires a lot of back strength to keep the shoulder in the right place. Benching, overhead presses (military presses I think the're called), and weighted press-ups for three weeks and I had it cracked.

Do you need me to sum that up in a word?

cofe

• forum hero
#59 Re: One armism
June 08, 2007, 05:58:36 pm
 ;D

go on nige.

Paul B

• forum hero
#60 Re: One armism
June 08, 2007, 06:42:10 pm
I recently did a one arm from full extension. Does that make me a training fanatic?

I found the key to be sorting out the section breaking the lock from a straight arm, which requires a lot of back strength to keep the shoulder in the right place. Benching, overhead presses (military presses I think the're called), and weighted press-ups for three weeks and I had it cracked.

Just because someone trains it does NOT make them a fanatic...

I don't know where yours and AndiT's non training mindset comes from, its obvious from history that its beneficial:

MOFFAT
MOON
SMITH

Now tell me that any of these three couldn't one arm or didn't train? or that the power gained by one arming or training didn't allow them to climb at a higher level? or name someone with better credentials that didn't train?

saltbeef

• forum hero
#61 Re: One armism
June 08, 2007, 07:04:46 pm
there's no excuse for a weak body, big muscles can take more hammer. weak fingers yes, there's a large genetic component to where you start and can go.

my excuse for being weak? i work more than you.
my other excuse, genetically i should go running. i have an extra muscle in my calf that 10% of the population  have, and lack a particular forearm muscle that holds the flexor sheath in place . nevermind, i can still do one armers, and front levers.

Nigel

• forum hero
#62 Re: One armism
June 11, 2007, 02:14:32 pm

Go on then. Or a mime. Or a top ten chart hit, by you, feat. Chakademus 'n' Pliers.

AndiT

• forum abuser
#63 Re: One armism
June 11, 2007, 06:57:43 pm

I don't know where yours and AndiT's non training mindset comes from, its obvious from history that its beneficial:

MOFFAT
MOON
SMITH

Now tell me that any of these three couldn't one arm or didn't train? or that the power gained by one arming or training didn't allow them to climb at a higher level? or name someone with better credentials that didn't train?

I suppose, after all is said and done, it depends what you're training for. I certainly wouldn't agree that I have a non-training mindset, just a different one to you, which doesn't involve the type of indoor training that you guys do. I still think if I'm not fit I need to go running and get climbing mileage in, and if I'm lacking oomph then I need to boulder and do familiar circuits on local rock; this is still training. The difference being at the end of it all I rate the success of my 'training' in how well my climbing flows, how confident I feel, how well my jams slot in, not whether I'm any closer to a one armer.

Historically there are many climbers who didn't train as such, but of course the power monsters you have listed train very hard and very effectively and I've no doubt were great at doing one armers (I seem to remember Jerry doing 7 before 7 on the big breakfast once), I do doubt however that they trained purely to be able to do them i.e '6 weeks of military back bench rotator cuffs mixed with lateral dorsi syimultion and a pure lentil diet and I was cranking one armers left, right and in the middle'

Like I said before, I'd like to be able to do them, to show off, but nothing else, after all, no amount of one armers wil ever actually get you up a route. Each to their own, I suppose.

abarro81

• forum hero
#64 Re: One armism
June 11, 2007, 08:17:55 pm
anyone know if dawes could do a one armer? just out of interest..

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#65 Re: One armism
June 11, 2007, 09:05:11 pm
Well if he did I daresay it would be flicked allmighty, and therefore would be scorned by those that decree these things.

Can I just point out, as no one else seems to have, that Saltbeef declared himself 'weak' above.

AndiT

• forum abuser
#66 Re: One armism
June 11, 2007, 09:21:15 pm
Mark King from Level 42 can do one just on his thumb.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#67 Re: One armism
June 11, 2007, 09:26:48 pm
Well it is the strongest digit after all.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#68 Re: One armism
June 12, 2007, 07:51:19 am
i have an extra muscle in my calf that 10% of the population  have, and lack a particular forearm muscle that holds the flexor sheath in place .

Freak!!

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#69 Re: One armism
June 13, 2007, 12:20:44 pm
Made a pulley system at the weights session yesterday and managed 2 longarms with 12kg on the system. On the left arm, the second rep wan't quite complete. Presumably spend a few weeks on 12kg descending down the spectrum over time to the unassisted point?

Nigel

• forum hero
#70 Re: One armism
June 13, 2007, 03:00:27 pm
Sounds like a good plan. That's probably the ideal way to progress, its very specific (i.e. its exactly the same exercise, as opposed to say weighted two arm pull-ups), and it sounds like you're keeping the reps low which is best for strength. Work up to doing three reps OK on each arm at 12kg then reduce the weight. Other handy hints:

- Don't overdo it. If you feel tired and can't match your last session then rest. It means that your muscles haven't recovered yet and you will do yourself NO GOOD keep flogging it. Often ignored! But very important.
- At the weak points in the motion (probably at the bottom) feel for where you are straining. A lot of the required strength is in the back and shoulders, and triceps. I felt like my triceps were straining at the bottom, then like I said 3 weeks of pressing exercises and I'd done a proper one arm. Generally, keep your antagonists up to speed.
- Mix it up - what you're doing is ideal but have the odd session of weighted pull-ups and unassisted negatives to keep a bit of spice.

Monolith

• forum hero
#71 Re: One armism
June 13, 2007, 04:31:47 pm
Nice one, cheers Nigel. It's funny how much joy you derive in the slighest increase in angle of the pull.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#72 Re: One armism
June 14, 2007, 10:47:00 pm
You're all gay

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#73 Re: One armism
June 14, 2007, 11:45:36 pm
join us and our long line of tents

Monolith

• forum hero
#74 Re: One armism
June 15, 2007, 08:31:22 am
Sounds like Bonjoy's been hacked. But yes, on occasion there's nothing wrong with giving a hearty blowjob to your deserving climbing peer.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal