UKBouldering.com

Finnish Bouldering (Read 6320 times)

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
Finnish Bouldering
April 21, 2006, 01:07:25 pm
I did use the search function - but found little of interest.

Has anyone bouldered on the Finnish mainland?

I'm off @ the start of May, I have a good guide (the human variety, a local activist) so won't need directions.  But I'd still be interested to hear from anyone that has bouldered and enjoyed themselves here; must do's/don'ts etc..

(I'd love to post the pix my guide has been tempting me with but Photobucket isn't co-operating right now.  Maybe later.)

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#1 Re: Finnish Bouldering
April 21, 2006, 01:47:18 pm
Use the UKB gallery if you need a host.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#2 Re: Finnish Bouldering
April 21, 2006, 02:23:43 pm
Finnish rock is beautiful:

« Last Edit: April 21, 2006, 02:26:56 pm by Houdini »

Palomides

• forum abuser
#3 Re: Finnish Bouldering
April 21, 2006, 02:25:01 pm
One of the UKClimbing regulars lives in Finland, maybe contact him?

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/profile.php?id=527

(unless he's already your local guide)

jonas

• regular
  • gajin
    • Tusen tranor
#4 Re: Finnish Bouldering
April 21, 2006, 02:30:17 pm
Shame on me, the only place I've been to is Hiidenkirnut in Rovaniemi, which is far north. It was nice but not overly so. There is apparently a better area somewhere else in Rovaniemi but the name escapes me.

Anyway, from what I've been told, the best bouldering in Finland is found in Vaasa. Ã…land is also good but is not on mainland and has some access problems.

Lots of info in english at http://www.slouppi.net

Direct link to info about Vaasa: http://www.slouppi.net/cliff.phtml?cliff=Vaasa

Two pics from Rovaniemi, where rich people with little sense go to visit santa claus:

Termintaorii, 6C+

Some other problem.

jonas

• regular
  • gajin
    • Tusen tranor
#5 Re: Finnish Bouldering
April 21, 2006, 02:34:11 pm
By the way, Palomides-san, why is your avatar speaking japanese?  :P

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#6 Re: Finnish Bouldering
April 21, 2006, 02:40:07 pm
No - he's not my guide.

I can neither read, pronounce or spell my guides name.  Thanks for the tip.

I've seen most of the Finnish films (apart from the Lofoten Ilands film) on the net.  Vaasa looks every bit as on-the-map as Küge' in Sweden.  No-one been?

Thanks for the Slouppi link.  I've been all over this site for weeks.  Rovaneimi is on the list.

jonas

• regular
  • gajin
    • Tusen tranor
#7 Re: Finnish Bouldering
April 21, 2006, 02:49:34 pm
I've search my memory an think  the new area in Rovaniemi might be called Inari, and is supposedly really good. Janni Lunnas would be a good local guide for Rovaniemi.

I should also mention that while I thought that Hidenkiirnut was so so, others are really excited about it. Some friends of mine drove the 400 km to Hidenkiirunt from Luleå, Sweden, several weekends in a row.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#8 Re: Finnish Bouldering
April 22, 2006, 10:44:52 am
Thanks for the pertinent info, youth.

I'm trying to get my guide to sign up to this forum and spill the beans for everyone.

I'd definitely go and see a band called "Hiddencunt", sorry, "Hidenkiirunt"...

I was confused about the Lofoten Islands (they're Norwegian, not Finnish.  Oops).

Oh - one more thing - am I correct in thinking that it's all granite?  Or do you know of other rock types?

jonas

• regular
  • gajin
    • Tusen tranor
#9 Re: Finnish Bouldering
April 22, 2006, 11:39:24 am
The bouldering in Vaasa is on granite as far as I been told.

Hiidenkirnut (Devils churn, or so I've been told, (cunt is vittu)) has some sort of semi-soft rock, to use advanced geological termiology, and this rock has been eroded away by smaller rocks of  some harder type after the last ice age, resulting in truly bisarre shapes, lots of knobs and pockets. Some boulders look like heavely pocketed limestone but has even better friction than granite!

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#10 Re: Finnish Bouldering
April 22, 2006, 07:30:14 pm
There must be other rock-types.  I'm wracking my brain to find one country that has just one rock-type.  There has to be some limestone (Eetu!  Sign-up & tell me there is no limestone in Finland!).

I knew the vittu thang - I make it a priority to learn as many foul words in other languages as possible.

The last granite I touched you could fry eggs on.  Conditions in the Arctic Circle must be Top.

Nietzsche was right.

Eetvartti

#11 Re: Finnish Bouldering
April 25, 2006, 08:48:20 pm
 Here you go... some knowledge of finnish rock.

Most of finlands rock-formations have developed during the last ice-age, about 10 000 years ago. Some of it is amongst the oldest rock you can find on surface of  planet earth. For example the area we might go with you. Rock type is mostly granite but it is partly heavily mixed with others, gneis for example. For your disappointment there is no limestone in finland, at least it hasn't been found.
 Quality between different types of granites varies a lot. Some of it is sharp and loose and shitty in many means on the other hand some of it is sandstone-like round-shaped, smooth and with good friction and completely solid.There is a few sandstone blocks here too, but they are very rear.
 And as I am used to climbing on granite boulders, i think it is excellent. The hottest weeks of summer, are sometimes pretty hot, but even then climbing ion the evenings is possible, though there might be one or two moskitos in the bushes...
 I think this is enough for a while with my miserable spelling.. quite an effort... :) Ask if you'd like to know more.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#12 Re: Finnish Bouldering
April 26, 2006, 07:37:53 am
  I think this is enough for a while with my miserable spelling.. quite an effort... :) Ask if you'd like to know more.

It's considerably better than my Finnish Spelling. I'm not even sure how to spell hurdygurdyhurdygurdy.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#13 Re: Finnish Bouldering
May 16, 2006, 05:14:25 pm
Errr!

Errr!

I've gone on holiday by mistake!

I'm not from London y'know...

Actually I've been bouldering on Finnish sandstone today.  No quartzite in sight!

And he's right about Finland having some of the oldest rock on the planet. Most of what I've touched looks like it's been to Hell and back - thrice.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2006, 05:16:41 pm by Houdini »

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#14 Re: Finnish Bouldering
May 19, 2006, 09:37:57 am
OK - here's what I know about the few areas we had the time and inclination to visit.

(Sorry:  I can't tell you jack about Vaasa or Rovaneimi.  Both were too far away for us to visit; which is a shame as Vaasa is clearly the place to go if actual climbing is what you are looking for - what I mean is, Vaasa has a high concentration of quality problems fairly close together.  This seems to be atypical of Finnish rock.  Finland also has very few crags - and I've been told that these are up to 50m in height, so, not much for the mountaineer.)

The picture I posted earlier is from a young (far from worked out) area known as Mikkeli or Mikkelli (?).  It is an adventure boulderer's paradise.  Hell - I wanted to 'get some in', as they say - I had no idea that in a two week trip I would do more gardening and cleaning than Hilda Ogdens' and Percy Throwers' love-child!

In mikkelli, sometimes (but rarely) most of the potential lines will require little more than a surface-scrub.  Mostly, you'll need to be prepared to 'go to town' on it's ass.  There are a fair number of established lines upto V11 or 8a+ (the Finns use the Font' system; I found this strange as there is very very little sandstone in Finland.  The overwealming majority of boulders are granite - I think the V's would be more appropriate here).

Cast your mind back to that amusing little bouldering supplement to (I think it was) Climber:  Remember that ridiculous list of what a boulderer needs?  Fancy-pants this and that?  Well, it won't be adequate here.   

1 - Forget the binoculars:  mostly, you won't be able to see the boulders for the trees.  You would be better off with some decent walking boots and the magnetic route-finding ability of a pigeon.  The forests are denser than Dense:  finding boulders appears to be more of a case of educated guessing  ("In the woods, no-one can hear you scream: Where the fuck is the rock!").

2 - Yes, do take a good selection of soft brushes.  But first, visit a local hardware store, cast your eyes along the selection of wire brushes available.  When you see the one that makes you say, in your finest Cockney, "Fackin' 'ell!  Wouldn't want one of them swimmin' up yer 'arris, wudja?"  You'll have found your baby.  Buy a few, you'll need them.  There may be 10" thick lichen to remove and reveal the rock hiding beneath it.

3 - As I said earlier - the rock here is truly ancient, and since it's not unusual for the temperatures to drop below -40°C in winter, and upto 30-odd°C in summer, the rock can be somewhat distressed.  New router's will need at least one stout jemmy.  I'd recommend a selection.  There's often a beautiful problem crying out to be released from the crust.  This is quite normal amongst the locals here.  You won't need to be a total Rock Terrorist, but some of the flakes here are just plain dangerous, and need to be removed.  With care and good judgement.

4 - Some of the boulders I saw were fucking massive.  Real manly hunky-chunks.  Locals often stash a selection of nails at the boulders so then can fashion wooden ladders to help in the er, business of exfoliation.  And often as a way down from the boulder itself.

5 - Often, a saw may be needed.  Not just to fashion ladders from the wood lying around, but also to remove trees that prevent access to the rock.  most of the trees here are commercial, fast growing Spruce or Silver Birch.  And they are ubiquitous.  More common than the flies and biters that will bug the fuck out of you in summer.  The Horse Fly is a genuine problem in summer.  Man, do they hurt - and they don't say please!

6 - You'll need strong bug spray (see above).

7 - Oh yeah - and the patience of fucking Job.   I've never worked so hard to prepare boulders ready to climb.

8 - Make friends with a local.  You'll need that knowledge.

9 - And mind were you ash your rollies.   These forests can be like tinder.  I was surprised to learn that forest fires can actually spread UNDERGROUND.  It hadn't rained for one month when I visited - she was bone dry.   And this is Logging Country - somebody owns and sells these trees.  Careful now!   (nb.  In Finland, one requires a license to make fires in the woods - plus permission from the landowner.)

In Mikkeli (and other areas) it is crucial to mind where you step.   The plant shown below is extremely rare.  So rare that people are asked to report any findings to some governmental unit.  Local climbers have taken it on themselves not to do that (so as not to jeapardise access).  If you go here, don't fuck it up for the locals by being a dunce and crushing these beauties.   Spruce and Birch are ten to the penny here, these flowers are not:

One of the prettier aretes that can be found here (I'm such a sucker for aretes):

One of the beefier hones that can be found here on a line that remains a project - and looks soooo much better in the flesh (the line, not the youth!)

This is a shot of my pal, the Bastard Strong Jussi Ramonen (The Beast From The East), on a chunk of extremely rare sandstone in an area (also in the south) known as Lahti. 

The horrendous 2' tick marks were not ours!

R2 on the same bloc as above:

« Last Edit: May 24, 2006, 07:08:33 pm by Houdini »

ska

ska

#16 Re: Finnish Bouldering
November 26, 2006, 10:48:23 am
shit! :wank:
i did somethink wrong
try www.kiipeilykerhokiila.awardspace.com and klick galleria or forget the whole thing :alky:

silentstorm

#17 Re: Finnish Bouldering
December 21, 2006, 10:13:36 am
In Lapland there is basically
Hiidenkirnut, Rovaniemi , read above...

Luppioberget, across the river from Aavasaksa (on the border of finland/sweden, mainly faces and vertical/slightly overhanging, very technical climbing and lots of projects left,Lot of brilliant highballs.

Inari, the great unknown. Lot of blocks, so far usually 2-3 at the same place, haven't discovered any huge area yet.
Usually good quality rock. some times crappy. Scenery is unbelievable.  Fun place to climb, because you'll never know what's on the otherside of the next hill..   Inari area is so huge that it will take us at least 20 years to find all the blocks since there has been only climbers from rovaniemi as far as I know. 

You can check overall images of these places from Ridni.  Theres also few more from Inari and Luppio in upcoming Playground-movie.   

If there's something you want to know more I can tell you... been in most of places in finland

ska

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#19 Re: Finnish Bouldering
May 29, 2007, 09:14:16 am
Ah, good to see pics of Eetu & Jussi. Tell me Ska, are they still lovers?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal