UKBouldering.com

The Shucks Lair (Read 8834 times)

Nigel

• forum hero
#25 Re: The Shucks Lair
May 27, 2007, 07:59:11 pm
I can testify as to the quality of this new crag, I visited today. Its fucking well good. Lovely rock and lovely moves. I don't think I pulled a static move all day - very slappy on smashing slopers. Get yourselves down.  :great:

P.S. Adam, went to see the orchid. Rarest flowering plant in Britain anyone? Get in...  :dance1:

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#26 Re: The Shucks Lair
May 28, 2007, 05:40:42 pm
 Did you see the guy in the tent?

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#27 Re: The Shucks Lair
May 28, 2007, 06:36:24 pm
Not me dude.

What's a shuck?

Paul B

• forum hero

Greg C

• forum hero
#29 Re: The Shucks Lair
May 28, 2007, 06:44:39 pm
Did you see the guy in the tent?

Yes. I'd have to say the flower itself was really cool and the mystery around its age and origins is really interesting, and all on my doorstep! :great: Thanks JB a good tick to get.

Greg C

• forum hero

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#31 Re: The Shucks Lair
May 28, 2007, 08:53:43 pm
yeh, nothings better than being caught by darkness while trying a boulder problem and facing one of these on the way home...

"hey honey, you know? today i sent my project, but a horrible beast bit off my left leg."

besides, that little crag seems very nice!!!
its very inspiring how you guys keep on finding new rock in uk!!! i wish i was so dedicated.
 :thumbsup:

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#32 Re: The Shucks Lair
May 28, 2007, 11:13:50 pm
I'm liking Paul B's explanation best.  Obvious now I cum to think of it.

Greg C

• forum hero
#33 Re: The Shucks Lair
May 29, 2007, 04:53:30 pm
Topo update: http://www.lakesbloc.co.uk/sei/s/1284/f97.pdf (Better map and a few problem updates)

Greg C

• forum hero
#34 Re: The Shucks Lair
June 01, 2007, 01:44:12 pm
Just been for a run up Fairy Steps and happened to swing by the Shuck's Lair. To my annoyance some bozo had left two heaped piles of chalk and a whopping great sock under the buttress, HOW DO YOU FORGET YOUR SOCK AT A VENUE THATS 30ft WIDE! As pointed out in the topo...

As with all the crags at Fairy Steps the Shuck’s Lair is on SSSI (Site of Special Scientific
Interest) land, so please make sure you stick to the tracks, respect your surroundings and
keep the noise to a minimum.

... this crag is on a Site of Special Scientific Interest thus we should, regardless of the access implications, want to keep the place as near to its natural state as possible. So please:

* Don't fill your chalk bag/bucket to the point where its overflowing every time you put your hand in it (that includes you Moo!)
* Take all bits of tape litter etc. home
* Brush off any tick-marks before you leave the crag
* Keep the noise down - the place is teeming with wildlife
* Stick to tracks on the approach
* Don't damage any living planet life or pick flowers etc. (You can be fined up to £10,000 for doing this on SSSI land)
* Before you leave do a quick optical sweep of the area to check you haven't left anything

Sheesh, I can't believe you have to remind people about these simple rules.

PS: This applies to most other venues in the south Lakes, as most are on SSSI/National Trust land.

Nigel

• forum hero
#35 Re: The Shucks Lair
June 01, 2007, 02:14:02 pm
Quite right Greg, I thought it was common habit to have a quick lookover to see if you've left anything precious (car keys, wallet, you know the sketch), and in so doing spot any litter/socks you've left. Fair play if you're doing a Font circuit you might forget putting a brush down halfway through, but this crag is tiny - you could check it over and have a staring contest facing away from the crag at the same time.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#36 Re: The Shucks Lair
June 01, 2007, 02:37:43 pm
... this crag is on a Site of Special Scientific Interest thus we should, regardless of the access implications, want to keep the place as near to its natural state as possible. So please:

* Don't fill your chalk bag/bucket to the point where its overflowing every time you put your hand in it (that includes you Moo!)
* Take all bits of tape litter etc. home
* Brush off any tick-marks before you leave the crag
* Keep the noise down - the place is teeming with wildlife
* Stick to tracks on the approach
* Don't damage any living planet life or pick flowers etc. (You can be fined up to £10,000 for doing this on SSSI land)
* Before you leave do a quick optical sweep of the area to check you haven't left anything

You left out

* Please keep all personal items of foot related undergarments with you at all times, you moron

Unbefrikkinlievable.

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
#37 Re: The Shucks Lair
June 01, 2007, 03:29:14 pm
 :whistle:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal