UKBouldering.com

A hypothetical question about opening a new wall (Read 2130 times)

matthew

• menacing presence
For example; a soon to be graduate of the university of sheffield in an attempt to avoid getting a real job was toying with the idea of moving back to his home city (across the peak district and closer to roaches/churnet) and opening a climbing wall. However, his degree is in geography, and he has no business experience. Would this be a problem? Which would be better a bouldering wall or full on climbing wall? Has anyone had experience of this sort of real world work avoidance?

Cheers,
Matt

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks
Opening a climbing wall is NOT work avoidance  ;)

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
He speaks the truth. More work than you'll ever want awaits those fool-hardy enough. I started at eight thirty this morning, and will be finished at ten thirty tonight. Mind you, I have got a nice big wall to look after, so its not all bad. If you want to avoid work, just stop working. Check out the other thread on here - "Giving up work..." Don't, for the love of God, open a climbing wall if you want to enjoy an easy life - it ain't going to happen!

AndiT

• forum abuser
The problem is finding a suitable building. This side of the Peak has been crying out for one for years. There have been lots of people who have seriously looked into it but got no-where. Let me know if you've got any plans.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
im thinking about opening a wall in my hometown, but first i have to find a job, cos for sure i wont get any money from running the wall.
and this summer i think ill put up a woodie at home, so if i find a job i can train when i want without having to drive more than one hour.

matthew

• menacing presence
The problem is finding a suitable building.

But surely there are loads of factories in stoke which could accomodate a wall? Maybe not a fully fledged lead wall like the foundry/edge but maybe something along the lines of climbing works (maybe not as big)/boulderuk. Just a dedicated bouldering wall, I reckon there would be enough demand for it

Percy, how high is the building the climbing works is in and whats the floor area?

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
Height at lowest point is 4.5 metres, 8 metres at its highest, and the floor area is 10050 square feet. Excuse the mixture of metric and imperial - can't be arsed to try an metricize the square footage!

AndiT

• forum abuser

But surely there are loads of factories in stoke which could accomodate a wall?

Yeah, you'd think so, but alas few and far between. They are all side-lined for other develpoment. The old church in Hanley was always of interest, it eventually turned out that a loop hole stated that if the building was bought then the bells would have to be renovated and rang daily at a cost greater than the value of the building.

You also need to consider whether Stoke would actually provide enough dedicated bouderers to warrant a boulder wall, I still believe a lead wall would be required in order to bring in the much needed corporate sector in order to make it a viable business.

matthew

• menacing presence
You may have a point there, but there are 2 universities to tap into neither of which have a wall (i know keele does but really...). Whats needed here is market research, however it's time for finals which would be useful to pass.
Assuming a building could be found, I'm not sure a lead wall would be 100% neccesary. It would probably involve a bit more elbow work selling it to the corporate sector but there are definate success stories and case studies to work with as examples. Maybe incorporating yoga classes etc could help, i guess part of it is selling the idea that climbing will help your life/loves etc. mmm... that may be abit to cynical.

Its all about the demographics.

lorentz

• obsessive maniac
Build the wall and they will come...

(Or some other mystical sounding, paraphrasation of Kevin Costner's 'Field of Dreams' and whatnot.

matthew

• menacing presence
I'd have been more inspired by a waynes world mysitcal sounding paraphrasation.... but i appreciate the sentiment ;D

lorentz

• obsessive maniac
I will put on a concert in aurora. Oh yes. I will put on a concert in aurora.

She will be mine. Oh yes. She will be mine.

If she was a president, she'd be call baberaham lincoln.

Etc etc.

matthew

• menacing presence

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal