UKBouldering.com

Bouldr - Improvements (Read 2019 times)

Bouldr Matt

• Bouldr
Bouldr - Improvements
May 14, 2007, 04:52:30 pm
Hello, all!

I know that a whole bunch of people from this forum took a look at Bouldr back when I posted at the end of January, and I also know that many of you were frustrated with the navigation. Well we've sorted it out now, so I'd really appreciate it if you would take another look.

There is a new location browser at the top of the explorer that allows you to drop down to different locations rather than having to drag and zoom the map - take a look, and let me know if it sucks / is kinda cool / is missing something or whatever! If any locations are missing, feel free to add them as you see fit, and we'll build a fantastic tool that lets climbers from all over the world find bouldering problems and routes anywhere they go!  :)

Also, we're adding sets to Bouldr, which will allow you to group climbs together (Winter Ticklist, Climbs in Font, etc...) so that you can then do a whole bunch of (to be announced) ace things with them.

Ta,

Matt

andy_e

• forum hero
#1 Re: Bouldr - Improvements
May 14, 2007, 04:59:12 pm
Seems easier to use! Good effort. Although not having USa as default would be nice.

Bouldr Matt

• Bouldr
#2 Re: Bouldr - Improvements
May 14, 2007, 09:18:50 pm
The USA thing you saw was a bug - fixed now!

Resonate

• addict
#3 Re: Bouldr - Improvements
May 18, 2007, 04:54:57 pm
I really don't get the point of this... Are you honestly expecting to compile a cataloge of all the boulder problems in... welll... the world? It's not even nearly comprehensive for any areas you've started on.

Don't get me wrong, what you've done is incredible, the detail and time that have gone in to this are obvious, and the navigation, though still a bit sticky, is good.

Is it just a bit of a spare-time project to update as you go over the next few years?

Bouldr Matt

• Bouldr
#4 Re: Bouldr - Improvements
May 18, 2007, 05:15:39 pm
Thanks for the comments, Resonate.

We're going to be releasing another set of improvements to the navigation over the next couple of weeks, so hopefully some of the poorer elements will see a noticeable improvement.

Bouldr is intended to allow any climber to be able to find and share problems, routes and beta on any climb no matter where it is in the world.

Bouldr is a tool that merely acts as a platform for this to happen - we're not personally trekking out to every crag in the world to collect this data!

The Website is only one aspect of our service; we're still very much in the early stages, and our plans for Bouldr are far reaching indeed, though the details of our other developments are best saved for another day.

I appreciate that our current coverage isn't amazing, but there is a way for you to help the situation: Join in, and add your climbs and problems to the site; Help us grow, and we'll be able to provide a much more comprehensive system for everyone to benefit from!

All the best,

Matt

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#5 Re: Bouldr - Improvements
May 18, 2007, 10:28:36 pm
I'm impressed that you have taken on this project and that you are listening carefully to your audience.

I think the architecture of your system needs a little work. Would it not make far more sense to have an indexical system that could be accessed at a glance rather than searching by crag name or zooming in on a map? Further, would it also not make sense to list these crags by region? Personally speaking, this would make me far more likely to pay frequent visits to the site.

I really do have to say that's the main issue for me.

Just to reiterate, thanks and please keep up the good work.

Bouldr Matt

• Bouldr
#6 Re: Bouldr - Improvements
May 21, 2007, 11:10:32 pm
Thanks, Monolith.

I'd be interested to know if anyone else would prefer / also appreciate a list-based view of the climbs on Bouldr. I reckon that it would be useful, but if other people would use Bouldr more if it had one, then I can bump it up on the list of things to do.

I don't think that it'd take too long to do, but we have so many other things on our todo list that it's quite difficult to know where to put it!

Hope to see you on there soon!

Matt

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal