UKBouldering.com

summer plans!!! (Read 4325 times)

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
summer plans!!!
May 13, 2007, 09:16:24 pm
im very happy cos i found alot of info about two bouldering areas suitable for this summer (if my shoulder doesnt fall apart...) that ive never visited, that are the san gottardo area, and another one in the dolomites thats called lagundo, so im very very psyched!!!
plus, ive got to make it even with magic wood, after a strange and mixed first and only trip two years ago!!!

here we go.

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#1 Re: summer plans!!!
May 13, 2007, 09:20:18 pm
Sounds good mr Nibs.

My summer will be good as well, spending time chasing after the little one and getting her used to the Bowderstone!!! Combined with a summer holiday to Ireland to see the brother and family. Cant wait!

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#2 Re: summer plans!!!
May 13, 2007, 10:13:31 pm
I'm keen for checking out gottardo and another magic wood trip this year as well.
hopefully be able to get both in

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#3 Re: summer plans!!!
May 13, 2007, 10:29:44 pm

Going on some form of bender to Norway and/or Sweden. PSYCHED!

I want to get to Italy so bad also.

dave

#4 Re: summer plans!!!
May 13, 2007, 10:31:02 pm
I'm keen for a bit of traveling to check out exotic locations like dovedale.

Somebody's Fool

• forum hero
#5 Re: summer plans!!!
May 13, 2007, 10:48:33 pm
I too had high expectations of my holiday to Dovedale last year.  However, after getting Malaria jabs and all the other palaver associated with tropical travel, imagine my dismay upon arriving in a modestly proportioned river valley near Ashbourne.  What a fucking gip.

Save your pennies and go somewhere genuinely exotic.  Tantastic is supposed to be beautiful around the end of May/early June.

Mike C

#6 Re: summer plans!!!
May 14, 2007, 12:17:30 pm
Heading to the states next month with a trip to the Ozarks planned, never been but cant wait to check it out, god i hope its not to warm over there, being scottish me and and the heat dont get on.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#7 Re: summer plans!!!
May 14, 2007, 12:50:38 pm
Unless you go high, i expect you will fry.

This summer I will be mostly employing Midge Avoidance Tactics. The buggers appear to have woken up early due to mild weather.

a dense loner

• forum hero
#8 Re: summer plans!!!
May 14, 2007, 01:10:13 pm
jim have you been doing research on your own? what is a gottardo?

zemike

• regular
#9 Re: summer plans!!!
May 14, 2007, 01:48:31 pm
hi nibile, you will roast in lagundo in summer... same elevation as merano (down in the valley), some shade but s-exposed. was there around easter: conditions were tolerable then. there should be better stuff higher up (except citta) like falzarego or schwarzbachalm...
you have any details on gottardo? sounds like a pretty extensive area - or are there some hot spots?

Blunk

• obsessive maniac
#10 Re: summer plans!!!
May 14, 2007, 05:24:30 pm
Heading to the states next month with a trip to the Ozarks planned, never been but cant wait to check it out, god i hope its not to warm over there, being scottish me and and the heat dont get on.

Mike, the Ozarks are going to be grim. As in hot and humid. Expect 80-90+ temps and humidity both. Climb early in the mornings perhaps?

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
#11 Re: summer plans!!!
May 14, 2007, 10:31:10 pm
gottardo guide book is available in the tourist info in san berdino. Its further up the valley from chironico, at about 2000 meters altitude  I think.
Dave grahams lock ness (maybe still) project is up there. I don't know anyone thats been yet tho, I know that James tried to go (armed with my guide book) on his last swiss trip but the road was closed due to snow. probably a summer only venue

saltbeef

• forum hero
#12 Re: summer plans!!!
May 14, 2007, 10:40:17 pm
jim have you been doing research on your own? what is a gottardo?
its a cross between a gazebo and a goitre.

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#13 Re: summer plans!!!
May 15, 2007, 12:39:28 pm
dunno anything about gottardo, except that its quite close, closer than magic wood, and its easier to get there: no tunnels etc, just a few miles north of chironico. i think its good, the guy who did the chironico and cresciano guide did also chironico one, with like 1300 problems listed.
plus, you can always have a late evening pulling in chironico if you miss the place like i do.

sorry to hear about lagundo in summer, didnt know its down the valley. anyway theres still unfinished business for me at città dei sassi!!! i just cant wait, i hope ill go on being very careful with the shoulder, training wisely and with some intelligence, mostly trying to stay in (top) form or even improve a little bit while recovering properly.

ps what would my life be without climbing? what would i think about all day? mistery.

Mike C

#14 Re: summer plans!!!
May 15, 2007, 01:44:14 pm

Mike, the Ozarks are going to be grim. As in hot and humid. Expect 80-90+ temps and humidity both. Climb early in the mornings perhaps?

Yeah, totally. Been over for a few summers to the states now, it never gets any cooler and it will be tornado season as well.

erm, sam

• forum hero
#15 Re: summer plans!!!
May 15, 2007, 01:45:24 pm
Isn't the phrase "improve a bit while recovering properly" one of those totally unrealistic ideals that just helps one to keep injured or even get worse? If you have a dicky shoulder then surely the only way to improve it is to reduce training load and then build it back up.. This cannot be compatable with getting better.. Or am I missing something?

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#16 Re: summer plans!!!
May 15, 2007, 01:58:32 pm
it can be tricky, but not impossible. right now im skipping everything bouncy and too dynamic, for deadhangs and 90° lockoffs. it has to be said that only a few movements are dangerous for my shoulder now, especially deep lockoffs and underclings. ive got an inflammation to the long head of the bicep.
anyway...
SOUND ADVICE.
ill take even more care.
 ;)

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
#17 Re: summer plans!!!
May 15, 2007, 08:18:08 pm
ps what would my life be without climbing? what would i think about all day? mistery.

I was thinking about giving up climbing not so long ago, and then I thought "what the fuck would I do instead?"
so here I am still climbing

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#18 Re: summer plans!!!
May 15, 2007, 08:57:31 pm
Jim you're a genius :lol:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal