UKBouldering.com

Best Job? (Read 2823 times)

uptown

• junky
Best Job?
May 17, 2007, 09:14:00 pm
Today I went to look at a new job we've got coming up  - a new hospital almost directly under the crag at tremadog - how's that for location...  :thumbsup:
What and where were your best jobs?
If you're a poor deskbound jobber where would you dream of working?

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#1 Re: Best Job?
May 17, 2007, 09:18:10 pm
I think my best jobs were:

- as a windsurfing instructor/deckchair monkey in Abersoch when I was teenager in the 80's.
- as a gardener for the summer, again in Abersoch when I was 19.
- my current job.. its very demanding but very rewarding and well paid..

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#2 Re: Best Job?
May 17, 2007, 09:59:03 pm
my best job was the one i was paid for.
four years without a salary now...
thats why i said f*** off to the last one.

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#3 Re: Best Job?
May 17, 2007, 10:32:55 pm
I enjoy being a non-fixed hours climbing instructor and working the kids in kids club to death. It's very satisfying to see them improve so much after 2 hours coaching and competition.

Also worked for the Press Association for two years whilst at uni in Leeds. Took live copy from Saturday afternoon football matches from across the country. Paid amazing and a good company to work for.

Working as a magnesium/brass die CNC'er and MAC operator could have been OK if I wouldn't have been working within the Nazi party in a room with no windows. Still, I learnt to CNC things via CAM - a priceless skill for building well weapon architectural models.

AndyR

• forum hero
#4 Re: Best Job?
May 18, 2007, 01:22:46 am
Well, I nicked off work early yesterday and went climbing on the Chief - seems pretty good to me  :)

BenF

• forum hero
#5 Re: Best Job?
May 18, 2007, 08:34:24 am
Two choices:

-Part time working in a climbing shop in Christchurch NZ.  Loads of time to climb and run up hills, plus a chilled out job working alongside and having a non-stop laugh with people that were basically my mates and climbing partners.

Or

-My current job teaching in a special school.  Pretty hard work with a huge emotional involvement, but lots of fun and with some wonderful people (both pupils and staff alike).  Plus you get great holidays and can usually get out of school before four twice a week and thus get to climb plenty.

To be honest, my current job wins hands down.  Although I loved being a bit of a slacker in NZ, teaching at my current school is truly wonderful, plus you get a really good salary for what sometimes feels like doing stand-up comedy (although the flipside is the hard work and sensitivity required when dealing with the huge issues and difficulties that many of our pupils have). 

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#6 Re: Best Job?
May 18, 2007, 08:49:06 am
Fair play to you Ben, and to all the other teaching crew. I bet it is totally rewarding, and well worth it.  :great:

I'm afraid to say I have never really had a job I all out love, my current one is probably the best but I'm sure it could change with time. I've done nothing but work in outdoor shops or pubs in Keswick! I know work as the manager of a fashion shop, I work with a small team (5 staff including me) so we have a really good laugh and its very "family" like in the shop. I also get paid a really good wage, get around £1000 worth of uniform each year which takes care of ever having to buy clothes again and my key consumer is in essence yummy mums! So day to day life is good, and I reckon there is room to advance in the company as well.

It'll do for now though  ::)

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#7 Re: Best Job?
May 18, 2007, 08:50:30 am
 Had to price 20 old rail structures on the Tissington and High Peak trail last year. Two pleasant spring days wandering the dales looking at old bridges. Last structure of the day was the tunnel above WCJ Cornice, 10mins later I was down at the crag on a route.
 Generally I dislike work and find it hard to imagine ever finding a job I enjoyed which did not require a degree of commitment and effort which compromised my climbing.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#8 Re: Best Job?
May 18, 2007, 09:14:40 am
Generally I dislike work and find it hard to imagine ever finding a job I enjoyed which did not require a degree of commitment and effort which compromised my climbing.
I have to agree with lovejoy here, work blows.
The best thing about my job is that I work less than half a year which ain't so bad

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#9 Re: Best Job?
May 18, 2007, 09:22:05 am
The best thing about my job is that I work less than half a year which ain't so bad

SWEET!

nik at work

• forum hero
#10 Re: Best Job?
May 18, 2007, 09:22:56 am
My current job is pretty good, self employed power tool play wither. Pretty good money and I do have the freedom to sack it off and go climbing etc. The trouble is the more sack off's the less money. Not such a problem when the missus was working but now she's on maternity and spending the GDP of Belgium on organo-bio-degrado-recyclo-nappies and what-not the pinch has set in.
I don't think Bonjoy goes quite far enough, almost all aspects of life have conspired to seriously reduce my climbing standard over the last several years....

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#11 Re: Best Job?
May 18, 2007, 09:32:13 am
Had to price 20 old rail structures on the Tissington and High Peak trail last year.

Are you a civil engineer or such like Bonjoy?

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#12 Re: Best Job?
May 18, 2007, 09:45:44 am
Roped access operations manager. But am taking seven months off to go climbing in Europe in a couple of weeks time, so can't really complain too much  :thumbsup:

Just remembered a fine job I had once. Doing roped access on appartments above a surf beach in Sydney. I don't surf, but it was great to watch people out on this infamous break (Shark Point I think it was called, in Cranulla) when the waves were big, not to mention the dolphins and even a pair of whales once.

BenF

• forum hero
#13 Re: Best Job?
May 18, 2007, 10:43:27 am

That I think is a given for pretty much everyone.  When I say that I love my job, I am being honest, but would give work up or reduce my hours at the drop of a hat.  Work messes your life up (like Sammo, just say NO) for exactly the reasons you gave above - there's just too much of it in the average week/month.  The happiest times of my life have been those periods of time when I've taken months and months off to climb and travel.  But it's hard to take more than a few months off at a time and in reality, working a good job for a few years and then taking time off is proabably the best solution (and something that many people on here clearly do).  Living without working is not something that many of us can actually do for long. 

I did work three days a week at my school before the Head persuaded me to go full-time and those months of getting out for three or four full days a week, whilst earning a bit of money were brilliant.  I think I visited more crags in that period than any other time whilst living in the UK.  However, it didn't last and I ended up full-time again.  However, I've been back in the UK for three years now, so it's getting towards that time that we need to write some resignation letters!

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#14 Re: Best Job?
May 18, 2007, 10:55:22 am
Liftie at ski resort was best job I had. work 4 days a week, get 3 days off. Always got some skiing in, even if it was just a run or two, and on quiet days taking ski breaks and getting paid. often got first tracks before the lifts opened. Plenty of time to shoot the shit, and have a laugh with/at the punters. No stress, just occasional periods of boredom and trying to stat awake through crippling hangovers.
Outside all day in gorgeous scenery. Not a long term career though, especailly with visa hassles.

Also worked at the boating lake at Sun city on school holidays. Cruising in Patrol Boat, working lifeguard duty, and spotter for skiers and parasailing. Then blowing pay on fruit machines and trying to get into the nightclub with fake IDs.

galpinos

• forum hero
#15 Re: Best Job?
May 18, 2007, 11:24:38 am

Mine was a barman in a ski resort. Earlist shift started at 4 and  we shut at 1. 2 days off a week. Skiing everyday. Boss didn't mind us drinking behind the bar as long as we could still do our job so the night s were pretty fun too.

The main down side was turning into a ball of lard. Drinking loads and living od a diet od tartiflette and fondue does that.

Hmmm, tartiflette.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#16 Re: Best Job?
May 18, 2007, 11:31:49 am

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#17 Re: Best Job?
May 18, 2007, 12:12:12 pm
ahh, the joy of pulling hard in baltic conditions in font, and then give yourself a treat of tartiflette!!!
 :thumbsup:

Yossarian

• forum hero
#18 Re: Best Job?
May 18, 2007, 08:11:00 pm
i used to get paid to eat out and go to vodka tastings.

the catch was that i had to write about it afterwards. still, everyone was very jealous.

except my bank manager and my liver.

i now get paid to eat out and go to wine tastings. (and occasionally choose pretty bits of fabric and look at furniture)

i don't have to write about it, but i still have to use my imagination. especially when it comes to jotting down my expenses...

the downside is a diary that looks like the handwritten manuscript of war and peace.

uptown

• junky
#19 Re: Best Job?
May 18, 2007, 09:03:26 pm
Roped access operations manager. But am taking seven months off to go climbing in Europe in a couple of weeks time, so can't really complain too much  :thumbsup:
You have a great time bj - keep us posted on ukb with your eu exploits. You coming back to the same job or using the break to try something new on return?

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#20 Re: Best Job?
May 19, 2007, 02:48:44 pm
 They have said there is a job for me when I come back. if I take it or not is another matter.
 Willl post on here when I can and stick some pics on blog. Let me know if you have any autumn/winter bouldering plans on the continent and we might be able to arrange a meet-up. I reckon we might end up in Albarcin in Oct and font at xmas.

saltbeef

• forum hero
#21 Re: Best Job?
May 19, 2007, 11:35:29 pm
i had an amazing job in cardiology at the northern around christmas, learned loads, had lots of responsibility, made a difference to peoples lives etc etc. Now I'm in surgery in worksop, I'm a cannulation machinne, get ignored, don't learn anything, FUCK I hate my job. Roll on august. At least my wages aren't bad.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal