UKBouldering.com

Relocation to cambridge :( (Read 6022 times)

Banana finger

• addict
  • daft lad
Relocation to cambridge :(
May 08, 2007, 11:48:03 am
 Because of my darn PhD im going to have to leave the harrowed land of the peaks n all it's rocky delights to go on a 3 month placement down in the rolling flats of cambidge  :( Does anyone know of any climbing to be had down there? I went about 4 years ago n found a small wall in a sports centre (wasn't too impressed)think it was called kelsey kerage or something. Are there any other walls? Has this one improved? :shrug: Any advice/councelling would be much appreciated..............failing that anyone know of any good boozers down there?  ;)
Cheers,
           Banana

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#1 Re: Relocation to cambridge :(
May 08, 2007, 11:53:59 am
I've just built a climbing wall in the area.  Problem is: it's on a RAF base and you'd have to join up to gain access!  Ha ha ha!  You're fucked!

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#2 Re: Relocation to cambridge :(
May 08, 2007, 12:11:13 pm
I've just built a climbing wall in the area.  Problem is: it's on a RAF base and you'd have to join up to gain access!  Ha ha ha!  You're fucked!
:lol:  That made my morning!!!

Ena

• addict
    • cadreweb
#3 Re: Relocation to cambridge :(
May 08, 2007, 12:15:15 pm
Three months in the off season? You'll be fine. My advice would be to enjoy what the place DOES have to offer and not worry about climbing. The KK is still shit (in an interesting way), but no other local walls (apart from the BridGeS). It's only a few hours to the peak though when you do get desperate. Loads of great little pubs, just avoid the beer halls and 'clubs'. I've got a map of the boozers if you want it. Have fun!

Paz

• junky
#4 Re: Relocation to cambridge :(
May 08, 2007, 12:36:22 pm
You might want to go anyway or have sponsors or something, but just for the record: you don't -have- to do anything for your PhD (apart from write up etc.), you're your own boss.  It's your project/ thesis.  I wouldn't go to Cambridge or anywhere else miles from climbing for neither love nor money. 

Your other options are Long Road and Fen Ditton railway bridges for brick edge traversing and bouldering (there's a project roof if you can be bothered to bolt it), Chalk pits for dry tooling, and `Nick's Wall' which is a woody.  And a grand buildering/ night climbing/ bridge hoppping tradition. 

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#5 Re: Relocation to cambridge :(
May 08, 2007, 12:46:06 pm
har·rowed, har·row·ing, har·rows
1. To break up and level (soil or land) with a harrow.
2. To inflict great distress or torment on.
Do you mean hallowed? Off to do a PhD at Cambridge was it.... ;)

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#6 Re: Relocation to cambridge :(
May 08, 2007, 02:08:06 pm
do a few hours a day of deadhangs and lockoffs for three months, and be back on grit as a true monster.

abarro81

• forum hero
#7 Re: Relocation to cambridge :(
May 08, 2007, 02:29:58 pm
I wouldn't go to Cambridge or anywhere else miles from climbing for neither love nor money. 

well if you didnt get love or money then what did you mange to get out of them to get you there! (you did do your degree there didnt you?)

Paz

• junky
#8 Re: Relocation to cambridge :(
May 08, 2007, 03:23:39 pm
I didn't realise at the time (at least not until near the end) that it wasn't a great idea for your climbing to go miles from it, and unlike you I wasn't clever enough to think of quitting Oxbridge after a year and going somewhere else. 

Banana finger

• addict
  • daft lad
#9 Re: Relocation to cambridge :(
May 08, 2007, 04:41:51 pm
har·rowed, har·row·ing, har·rows
1. To break up and level (soil or land) with a harrow.
2. To inflict great distress or torment on.
Do you mean hallowed? Off to do a PhD at Cambridge was it.... ;)

Hehe well spotted  :-[ Needless to say my degree's not in english language!!

Banana finger

• addict
  • daft lad
#10 Re: Relocation to cambridge :(
May 08, 2007, 04:45:45 pm

Very helpfull......n im afraid i DO  have to go to cambridge because its sponsored by a company down there

Banana finger

• addict
  • daft lad
#11 Re: Relocation to cambridge :(
May 08, 2007, 04:51:20 pm

Your other options are Long Road and Fen Ditton railway bridges for brick edge traversing and bouldering (there's a project roof if you can be bothered to bolt it), Chalk pits for dry tooling, and `Nick's Wall' which is a woody.  And a grand buildering/ night climbing/ bridge hoppping tradition. 
[/quote]
 Hmm sounds interesting, i've heard some rumours that theres a font 8a on a bridge somewhere...have you heard about this too?

Paz

• junky
#12 Re: Relocation to cambridge :(
May 08, 2007, 05:17:38 pm
It was ages ago, that I think Ru said a roof would be at least French 8a, but none did it.  I'd be surprised if there was a Font 8a as you've only got vertical walls, but it's possible.

Banana finger

• addict
  • daft lad
#13 Re: Relocation to cambridge :(
May 08, 2007, 05:38:04 pm
It was ages ago, that I think Ru said a roof would be at least French 8a, but none did it.  I'd be surprised if there was a Font 8a as you've only got vertical walls, but it's possible.

Oh fair enough i could imagine that an 8a on a vertical wall would be nigh on impossible for a man of my portly stature anyway. As for the french 8a not sure if i have the motivation to bolt a roof.....but desperate times.....

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#14 Re: Relocation to cambridge :(
May 08, 2007, 10:00:11 pm
Theres a wall in Peterborough, not sure how good it is, but close enough for an evening. (40min?)

http://www.peterboroughmc.org.uk/ClimbingWall.aspx

KK looks to have improved at some point, still small though.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#15 Re: Relocation to cambridge :(
May 08, 2007, 10:03:39 pm

I can just imagine the comments:
Do you know there's a ladder to the top, mate?

grimer

• forum hero
#16 Re: Relocation to cambridge :(
May 08, 2007, 10:09:10 pm
That Peterborough wall rings a visual bell. Is it a Livingstone. I'm sure I built that, stayed with some Clive dude with a Gold Wing, drank 8% beer in a pub, boiled a negg in an electric kettle for dinner by taping the switch down, boiled the negg hard, broke the kettle and cut off the top of my thumb with a cheese plane.

Ru

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#17 Re: Relocation to cambridge :(
May 08, 2007, 10:17:03 pm
That Peterborough wall rings a visual bell. Is it a Livingstone. I'm sure I built that, stayed with some Clive dude with a Gold Wing, drank 8% beer in a pub, boiled a negg in an electric kettle for dinner by taping the switch down, boiled the negg hard, broke the kettle and cut off the top of my thumb with a cheese plane.

That's a good night out in Peterborough.

Cambridge is crap for climbing. Just heard over the weekend that Jesus (college) has given permission to build a systems board in their gym, I reckon I'd climb two grades harder if we'd had that. I'd just try and enjoy the place for a few weeks and not worry about your climbing. Have the odd evening at KK or Long Road to keep your hand in, and go punting or something.

p10jkle

#18 Re: Relocation to cambridge :(
January 08, 2011, 02:36:24 pm
KK just built a new bouldering wall and its amazing...

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#19 Re: Relocation to cambridge :(
January 08, 2011, 06:07:35 pm
He's right you know...looks like a vast, vast improvement on the toss that was there before!

http://www.kelseykerridge.co.uk/index.php?pageid=4017

Ena

• addict
    • cadreweb
#20 Re: Relocation to cambridge :)
January 21, 2011, 04:00:44 pm
It's not really "amazing" but is pretty damn good, and seems set about right for the use it'll get. The Works it isn't but makes best use of the space and cash available. Bit of a schoolboy error with the campus board: it was fixed too low as they didn't allow for the matting. I think that's going to be rectified later and you could still try for a 2-6-10.

You'll all be sorry to hear that the Beastmaker is only a 1000...

Having said all that it is a quantum leap forward in facilities, and has even got me to get my shoes out again. For us locals - and any stranded types - it finally gives a proper training facility with some steep bits. And new mats. I like the Core holds. I've been using the old KK wall for 30 years now, so reckon my entry fees will have paid for this new one and they should give me a free pass. I'll mention that next time.

Not seen Rich Simpson there yet, but the official opening is next week with Steve McClure down to do the honours.

dm

• regular
#21 Re: Relocation to cambridge :(
January 22, 2011, 04:14:26 am
Dear god, 30 years on that atrocity?  I was in Cambridge for 3 months and that too much.

TomWJEvans

#22 Re: Relocation to cambridge :(
January 24, 2011, 12:09:07 pm
 i know this threads old, but yeah niall you did the welding there (pboro). clive remembers you well. :-)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal