UKBouldering.com

Living in the past (Read 10478 times)

andy popp

• forum hero
Living in the past
May 01, 2007, 09:33:10 am
Just got the new Dinosaur Jr album and they're as gloriously, mindlessly noisy as ever. Its probably not cool but see if I care.

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#1 Re: Living in the past
May 01, 2007, 09:43:10 am
Well VICE magazine gave it 5/10, so that makes you half cool Andy  ;)

Good call and you've inadvertantly reminded me to revist Mudhoney thanks!

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#2 Re: Living in the past
May 01, 2007, 09:46:33 am
Ah, Mudhoney.  A little later but Fudgetunnel were class too.  (Spot the link logic?)

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#3 Re: Living in the past
May 01, 2007, 04:04:03 pm
Wow Andy that was quick - I thought it was only released today. I asked my wife to get it for my birthday, but she came back with Ray Lamontagne and Arcade Fire's latest. This of course is a well known ruse whereby you give your partner records or cds that you want yourself. Actually I'm being a little ungracious as I did want the Arcade Fire album.

Anyway, the tracks I've heard from the new Dinosaur Jr album sound as strong as they did in their prime. Can't wait to get hold of it. 5 out of 10 in Vice magazine?! - what do they know about the price of potatoes? Nothing, I tell you, absolutely nothing! ::)

andy popp

• forum hero
#4 Re: Living in the past
May 01, 2007, 04:15:21 pm
Was released yesterday. I preordered on Amazon on Sat and it arrived in the post this morning. It is absolutely prime Dinosaur Jr. Absolutely no change at all, like the last twenty years never happened. With a lot of bands that would be disappointing and retrograde but somehow seems appropriate to them. It does exactly what you want a Dinosaur Jr album to do.

Dr T

• forum hero
#5 Re: Living in the past
May 01, 2007, 04:21:11 pm
the whole album's being streamed on their myspace site

I feel like a teenager again  :lol:

dontfollowme

• Trusted Users
  • junky
#6 Re: Living in the past
May 01, 2007, 06:25:17 pm
It got album of the week in the Sunday Times  :thumbsup:

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#7 Re: Living in the past
May 02, 2007, 08:01:51 am
I asked my wife to get it for my birthday, but she came back with Ray Lamontagne and Arcade Fire's latest. This of course is a well known ruse whereby you give your partner records or cds that you want yourself. Actually I'm being a little ungracious as I did want the Arcade Fire album.

I notice you didn't mention wanting the Ray Lamontagne.

Slow on the uptake, I am in the process of dicovering The Shins first two albums. Only a bit late.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#8 Re: Living in the past
May 02, 2007, 08:25:11 am
Anyone got the Andrew Bird album yet?

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#9 Re: Living in the past
May 02, 2007, 10:04:05 am
listening to it now. sound promising

Dr T

• forum hero
#10 Re: Living in the past
June 22, 2007, 04:36:46 pm
kinda related... was listening to the mighty swervedriver on the interweb yesterday, must get that retrospective CD, lost all the tapes I once had back when.....

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#11 Re: Living in the past
June 22, 2007, 05:33:23 pm
Also related..

Sonic Youth are about to release a re-mastered and 'extras' version of Daydream Nation _and_ subsequently tour to play the whole album live in a re-run of that fantastic tour in 1988.

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest to see Dinosaur Jr on the bill and hundreds of middle aged guys with shaved heads and glasses in the audience...

andy popp

• forum hero
#12 Re: Living in the past
June 22, 2007, 05:44:42 pm
See you there then!

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#13 Re: Living in the past
June 24, 2007, 04:38:28 pm
This might be my album of 2007...

The Sea and Cake - Everybody.

http://www.theseaandcake.com/

It's been on permanent rotation in the car for the last couple of weeks and it's absolutely fantastic.  The Sea and Cake are a a part-time outfit from Chicago featuring Tortoise' John McIntyre on Drums, Sam Prekop and Archer Prewitt handling guitar and vox and Eric Clardidge on Bass. 

The album is almost the perfect Summery pop/rock album akin to The Shins/Wilco/Malkmus and recalls the best moments of The Chameleons, Scritti Politti (sp?) and stuff like The Kinks...

Popp, Panto, JB, Underground, Bonjoy, SA Chris and others who I should mention.. you will like.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#14 Re: Living in the past
June 25, 2007, 08:04:45 am
Will proceed as per orders come lunchtime. Fopp is too close for comfort these days, like a magnet for the credit card.

andy popp

• forum hero
#15 Re: Living in the past
June 25, 2007, 11:57:29 am
I too have succumbed but will have to wait for Amazon. FD's post, with its various references, got me thinking. Would a 'what if I like' thread be good, e.g. 'If I like (for example) 'The Great Destroyer' by Low or 'Mingus Live at Antibes' what else can anyone recommend?' Might be a good way of tracking down the inobvious and could turn into a sort of chain of influences.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#16 Re: Living in the past
June 25, 2007, 12:22:51 pm
Amazon is good for info, but you can often find better prices and faster delivery at this handy comparison site; www.find-cd.co.uk

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#17 Re: Living in the past
June 25, 2007, 12:24:57 pm
SeaCake sound good, anywhere I can download a sample track.

Not enough references to The Chameleons on UKB, hats off to FD for that.

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
#18 Re: Living in the past
June 25, 2007, 12:27:05 pm
Myspace are always good for checking out new stuff, even if you can't download -

http://www.myspace.com/seaandcake

andy popp

• forum hero
#19 Re: Living in the past
June 26, 2007, 10:05:52 am
Appreciate there are these other sources of info but thought it might be nice to get personal recommendations from people we (kind of) know. Will have to pursue the Wilco-Malkmus connection now.

Pantontino

• forum hero
#20 Re: Living in the past
June 26, 2007, 03:00:20 pm
Good rec FD, and to Mr Popp, how about some of this:

http://www.myspace.com/thenational

andy popp

• forum hero
#21 Re: Living in the past
July 03, 2007, 07:08:07 pm
Keep forgetting to post that the Sea and the Cake album is indeed very good, very mellow - more so than expected - and now also installed in my car. Will try and get round to checking The National and coming up with some recommendations of my own.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#22 Re: Living in the past
July 04, 2007, 07:58:46 am
Indeed it is. Was on short rotation on weekend drive to West Coast. Is the back catalogue worth exploring?

For a true case of living in the past, got my hands on a copy of the recent Police compilation. It must be close to 15 years since I listened to them (when was Synchronicity?), and appreciation has changed somewhat; great simple songs and some quality bass playing.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 08:04:22 am by SA Chris »

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#23 Re: Living in the past
July 05, 2007, 08:49:54 am
I just noticed this thread again... glad that you all liked the Sea and Cake album. 

This thread is in danger of turning into another Funky Fresh Beats but for old people who aren't big fans of ear-bleed techno.

Pantontino - The National MySpace page is playing as I type and it sounds good so far...

andy popp

• forum hero
#24 Re: Living in the past
July 05, 2007, 11:09:36 am

This thread is in danger of turning into another Funky Fresh Beats but for old people who aren't big fans of ear-bleed techno.

And why not.

BenF

• forum hero
#25 Re: Living in the past
July 06, 2007, 12:24:03 pm

Yeah, but it won't last.  I doubt the music on this thread has the longevity that comes with quality bleeps produced by computers. ;)  The best music should always make you feel like you're about to sh*t yerself.  ::)

Pantontino

• forum hero
#26 Re: Living in the past
July 06, 2007, 01:36:20 pm
Going back to The National again, can I just recommend Lit Up and Mr November off the Alligator album. You can hear 30 second snippets here:

http://www.last.fm/music/The+National/Alligator

...but frustratingly will miss the incredible crescendos that occur elsewhere on the tracks. I promise you, music doesn't get any better than this.

Unless of course it is made by Guided By Voices:

http://www.last.fm/music/Guided+by+Voices?q=Guided+by+Voices

SA Chris

• forum hero
#27 Re: Living in the past
July 06, 2007, 03:16:41 pm
Bastard Bastard Bastards. I was fully intent on not spending any money on CDs for a while. Will be down One Up next week.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#28 Re: Living in the past
August 20, 2007, 04:30:38 pm
Just got the new Caribou album, Andorra. A bit more melodic than Milk of Human Kindness, goes back a bit to the old Manitoba stuff in places, which is no bad thing. Check it out if you are after somethnig different.

Also got Air Traffic - Fractured Life. Some of the tracks are a bit like a few other bands (Hard Fi, Kooks) but some great tracks; check out Shooting Star and No More Running Away.

andy popp

• forum hero
#29 Re: Living in the past
August 26, 2007, 04:18:22 pm
Was at the Green Man festival last weekend and saw excellent sets from Euros Childs, Gruff Rhys, The Earlies, Broken Family Band, Rachel Unthank, Robert Plant (yes, that one), My Brightest Diamond and good/interesting ones from Clinic, Beep Seals Soft Hearted Scientists and more. Yet more had to be missed. Question, what's the best Gorky's/Euros Childs album to start with?

andy popp

• forum hero
#30 Re: Living in the past
June 22, 2009, 02:42:29 pm
They've only gone and done it again.

soapy

• junky
    • maskon
#31 Re: Living in the past
June 22, 2009, 03:21:25 pm
..admitting to a britney habit, that's a big step..

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks
#32 Re: Living in the past
June 22, 2009, 08:10:42 pm
Does going to see Kraftwerk count as living in the past. Off to see them next week - assume its Liverpool or Manc but don't know where yet, my bro got the tickets  ;)

andy popp

• forum hero
#33 Re: Living in the past
June 22, 2009, 08:27:24 pm

Seems like I'm in good company.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 08:34:19 pm by andy popp »

underground

• forum hero
#34 Re: Living in the past
June 23, 2009, 12:46:36 pm
Was at the Green Man festival last weekend and saw excellent sets from Euros Childs, Gruff Rhys, The Earlies, Broken Family Band, Rachel Unthank, Robert Plant (yes, that one), My Brightest Diamond and good/interesting ones from Clinic, Beep Seals Soft Hearted Scientists and more. Yet more had to be missed. Question, what's the best Gorky's/Euros Childs album to start with?

I haven't kept up to date with Euros stuff although have heard some lovely stuff on Last.fm lately. I really love Richard James' (ex-GZM bass player) solo work and heartily recommend checking any of it.

GZM wise, Barafundle and Spanish Dance Troupe have some gems on them - but a lot of GZM albums have some stuff that isn't to my taste too. In the end I just made my own compilation of all the good stuff.

The exception is 'The Blue Trees' - which is beautiful from start to finish - EP length really but rates in my top 5 favourite albums.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal