UKBouldering.com

Rowtor Rocks - Sensitive (ish) Access (Read 24115 times)

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
Carvings made by folk a long time ago. Very hard to date, but thought to be Bronze age circa 2-3000 BC. Cup marks are the most common, a simple circular depression. Sometimes, as here, these are surrounded by a ring, then there are a host of more complex types, google newgrange for some examples.

Idol eyes

• junky
The reason I called this problem Ring of Eternity, is becuase of the noise I heard whilst asendi.... not really, I found a 15th century gold ring underneath the roof, (pats roof, not the name i called it). It has a figure of eight mounting,
the queen asked for it back, but the rock wants me to find a bride to fit it...

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
...I found a 15th century gold ring underneath the roof...

My Precious!!!!

Jacqusie

• stalker
ummm...

not sure - and a tad scared!

:-\

Jacqusie

• stalker
Got some info for the guide...
does the Druids own this place?
the name of my problem here is, Ring Of Eternity

Can you email me please fella.?

simon.jacques@btinternet.com

ta v much

si

Jacqusie

• stalker

account_inactive

• forum hero
Just been to Rowtor today and have been accosted by a woman from the nearby house.  She was pretty pissed off that we had been climbing and said "you've been their all day", which we hadn't so informed her that there were several parties at the crag.  This was met with disgust and she informed me that the land was owned by Stanton Estates and that climbing would get banned a la Eagle Tor because "climbers were ruining the place".  Not wanting to inflame the situation we thanked her for the information and said we would pass it on to the powers that be.......... This all left a bad taste in the mouth. 

Just wondered what the state of affairs is and if this is actually the case or not (re: landowners)

dave

Might have been the same chick that pat king pissed off a few months back?

yorkshireman

• obsessive maniac
  • dont knock the rock if you're shaky at the grade
not bouldered around that neck of the woods for ages,has eagle tor been fully banned to climbers now?i always though rowtor was on public land,or atleast a public right of way

T_B

• forum hero
I've trawled back through this thread and still can't establish who owns Rowter Rocks. It says it's unknown on the BMC RAD:

http://www.thebmc.co.uk/bmccrag/ViewCrag.aspx?id=888

Surely for such an important bouldering spot, someone must have definitive info about the access rights?

account_inactive

• forum hero
I had to bite my tongue whilst speaking to her.  She was under the impression that it was climbers wrecking the place not the idiots leaving cans of beer and BBQs.

I've done a search for 'Stanton Estate' but all that came up was Peak District info.  I also found this thread via  :google:

Paul B

• forum hero
not bouldered around that neck of the woods for ages,has eagle tor been fully banned to climbers now?

Yes its now banned (and I think this one was due to climbers).

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
not bouldered around that neck of the woods for ages,has eagle tor been fully banned to climbers now?

Yes its now banned (and I think this one was due to climbers).

Yes - very sadly.

IIRC people were shitting in the woods, leaving litter...do I recall something about her dog getting pretty hyper around bouldering mats? Think it had a go at me once back when access was OK.

yorkshireman

• obsessive maniac
  • dont knock the rock if you're shaky at the grade
once again the few spoil it for the many  :chair:

Nigel

• forum hero
Just been to Rowtor today and have been accosted by a woman from the nearby house.  She was pretty pissed off that we had been climbing and said "you've been their all day", which we hadn't so informed her that there were several parties at the crag.  This was met with disgust and she informed me that the land was owned by Stanton Estates and that climbing would get banned a la Eagle Tor because "climbers were ruining the place".  Not wanting to inflame the situation we thanked her for the information and said we would pass it on to the powers that be.......... This all left a bad taste in the mouth. 

Just wondered what the state of affairs is and if this is actually the case or not (re: landowners)

A carbon copy of our experience. Despite looking the part i.e. elderly, well to do, countrified, she appeared to be a raving Daily Mail lunatic - she started off shouting us down and escalated from there, flying full bore into the face of calm reason (well OK, Pat King's reason!). Frankly I think she's probably wrong and out of order. Does she own the land (if not then why has she started a vegetable plot on it?!)? Does she represent the landowner in some way?  If she did it would be good if she articulated this instead of bawling.

account_inactive

• forum hero
Did Pat borrow her hoe and not bring it back?

This must be the same woman.  It would be good to get an official line of this, possible BMC bod?

webbo

• forum hero
Last time I went(some time last year) we were accosted by some women.This was on the day someone had fallen off whilst they were walking their dog.At the time she insisted it was climbers who had fallen off and we shouldn't be climbing there anyhow.
As there was a rescue going on we went to Cratcliffe to avoid upsetting her futher.

c.j.d.

• forum abuser
  • Great.
I was up here last Wednesday, and all seemed fine.  I approached the lower problems from the top, but didn't see any signs of paths being blocked.  Damn fine area and really interesting, so worth being careful I reckon.

Also I went up to Eagle Tor (wasn't sure if this was banned or not).  I saw the farmer fixing walls on my way down - he seemed pretty chipper, so I waved and sloped of rapidly off to the right and bailed.   Was back there the next day - no issues, but just kept myself quiet.  By the way, 'Feel Good' feels very good.  In my books, if you don't act like a bunch of cnuts, and respect the people who live close to any area around and about, be polite and all (stop for a chat?) - you should be fine.

Paul B

• forum hero
Also I went up to Eagle Tor (wasn't sure if this was banned or not). 

It is.

account_inactive

• forum hero
I was up here last Wednesday, and all seemed fine.  I approached the lower problems from the top, but didn't see any signs of paths being blocked.  Damn fine area and really interesting, so worth being careful I reckon.

Also I went up to Eagle Tor (wasn't sure if this was banned or not).  I saw the farmer fixing walls on my way down - he seemed pretty chipper, so I waved and sloped of rapidly off to the right and bailed.   Was back there the next day - no issues, but just kept myself quiet.  By the way, 'Feel Good' feels very good.  In my books, if you don't act like a bunch of cnuts, and respect the people who live close to any area around and about, be polite and all (stop for a chat?) - you should be fine.

I was wife the wife and were respectful and polite.  In fact it was I who said hello which opened up the discussion in the first place.  I think it's important to speak with people in a shared outdoor environment rather than being elitist and unapproachable. So in this case we weren't behaving like a bunch of cnuts!

c.j.d.

• forum abuser
  • Great.
Also, I spoke with an old rambler type, who spends most weekends walking along these parts i.e. Eagle Tor.  As far as he knew, there where no official access issues.  Sloper, what's the deal here?

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
eagle tor is banned becuse the people who own the land have requested that there is no climbing or access

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#47 Re: Rowtor Rocks - Sensitive (ish) Access
February 24, 2012, 11:23:05 am
Update on this one....

The local lady with the chicken run has been active again this season, claiming climbing is banned. The BMC have been in touch with the National Park and the landowner (A Mr Thornhill of Stanton Estates) and clarified things.

At present climbing is permitted, however complaints have been received and the situation remains sensitive. So best behaviour please - big groups and noise around the Short Sean's area seem to attract the most attention from the lady with the allotment, though most recently I and Nick B the only folk there and were asked to leave as soon as we tried Domes. We managed a polite conversation but I know things have degenerated in the past.

It seems there have been problems with litter and fires/ fire pits. I doubt these are due to boulderers but as the most visible users of the Tor we are understandably under suspicion. So any effort you can make to minimise chalk use and pick up any litter would be good. There may be an organised tidy-up at some point to demonstrate good will. Be good to get to the nub of the objections, I suspect it is just the presence of noisy groups of lads, but if it is litter etc we can sort that out.

So to reiterate - avoid big groups, noise and excessive chalking, especially in the Short Seans - Domes area. Be nice and civil if questioned, feel free to mention access has been checked with the National Park and the landowner.

cofe

• forum hero
#48 Re: Rowtor Rocks - Sensitive (ish) Access
February 24, 2012, 11:43:53 am
Good update word, thanks.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#49 Re: Rowtor Rocks - Sensitive (ish) Access
January 12, 2013, 05:01:06 pm
Be interested to hear if anyone has had any confrontations at Rowtor recently, our favourite local resident has clearly not been satisfied by the response from the National park and is busily writing to MPs etc...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal