UKBouldering.com

Leg shavers anonymous (Read 573694 times)

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#2225 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
April 26, 2010, 09:15:56 pm
Isn't it Blind Melon?
It might be.  :-[  Melon, Lemon, either way it still cheered me up no end.

chappers

• forum hero
#2226 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
April 27, 2010, 09:31:45 am
cheers chappers, id envisaged getting to the cat via styal, wilsmlow, alderly edge. Good low teaffic way out of the city. Goyt back?

in brief:
 ride out through cheadle and cheadle hulme, out to adlington (on the road that goes past adlington hall), up and over that hill to Pot Shrigley. From there, take the "brickworks" a climb up through the old rickworks industrial estate (nicer than it sounds), then drop down to kettleshulme (turn right there onto side end lane).

Up the road underneath windgather rocks to the top. turn right down into the Goyt. from there you can ride up to the cat and fiddle, and either to macc and home or over to buxton and back over long hill etc...

if you want, ill ride out there with you just give me a shout - always keen to go on a bike ride, even after work would be fine now!

manchester wheelers ride on bank holiday monday....come along!

clm

• forum hero
#2227 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
April 27, 2010, 05:50:50 pm
im away this bank holiday. Seaside. Ill try and do a wheelers sunday ride sometime in may.
Velodrome taster booked for 8th may though. :bounce:

chappers

• forum hero
#2228 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
April 28, 2010, 01:30:18 pm
cheers chappers, id envisaged getting to the cat via styal, wilsmlow, alderly edge. Good low teaffic way out of the city. Goyt back?

in brief:
 ride out through cheadle and cheadle hulme, out to adlington (on the road that goes past adlington hall), up and over that hill to Pot Shrigley. From there, take the "brickworks" a climb up through the old rickworks industrial estate (nicer than it sounds), then drop down to kettleshulme (turn right there onto side end lane).

Up the road underneath windgather rocks to the top. turn LEFTdown into the Goyt. from there you can ride up to the cat and fiddle, and either to macc and home or over to buxton and back over long hill etc... i wrote right before!

if you want, ill ride out there with you just give me a shout - always keen to go on a bike ride, even after work would be fine now!

manchester wheelers ride on bank holiday monday....come along!

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#2229 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 01, 2010, 08:37:23 pm
It is finished...... This morning I finished building my new bike - I'll post a picture if I can ever be arsed to work out how to do it, but for those in the know here's the spec.

Look 586 frame and forks, full Dura Ace except for a Rotor Agilis chainset, hand built wheels (Ambrosio Chrono rims on Tune hubs). It looks fairly innocuous (mostly black) but it is so light and so quick it doesn't need to look flash. Now I just need to get fit enough to justify such a beautiful bike.......this is the really tricky bit!

Duma

• forum hero
#2230 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 01, 2010, 10:06:23 pm
Oh lord, that is an awesome build. Please work out how to post a pic, sure slackers'll sort any questions.

tlr

• forum abuser
  • tim-russon.myportfolio Instagram tim_russon
    • Myportfolio
#2231 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 02, 2010, 12:42:50 pm
Sounds lovely - you can join me on my mid life crisis bike for potters round the Peak at suitably genteel pace.

Not sure that a 586 is ever going to look innocuous though....

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#2232 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 02, 2010, 02:55:47 pm

You might be right.... May be we should start a 'The results of my mid-life crisis' thread?!
Anyway, back to the bike...its all done apart from the fact that I haven't cut the steering tube down yet 'cos I'm waiting for the cap to come from Look. I have had a quick spin on it though, and it is an amazing ride  ;D
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 03:20:52 pm by Percy B »

Yossarian

• forum hero
#2233 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 02, 2010, 03:36:05 pm
Those cranks look nice.  I've got a set of "proper" Rotor cranks - i.e. the one that cam back and forth to avoid the dead spot - they're nice to ride but really heavy... Those look cool, and a nicely engineered alternative to silly money carbon ones.

chappers

• forum hero
#2234 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 02, 2010, 08:01:32 pm
mother of god. good effort percy. that looks like it will shift. i love the wheels.
loads of nice bike on here now!

well done. enjoy.

bigphil

• menacing presence
#2235 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 02, 2010, 08:11:40 pm
Liking that red detail on the chainset and hubs.  Great looking bike Percy and I bet its awesome to ride.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#2236 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 02, 2010, 08:38:32 pm
 8)

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#2237 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 04, 2010, 09:38:19 pm
So, a quick update... Been out for a couple of quick jollies - have done 100kms over the last 2 days and all was going swimmingly until I snapped my chain coming home today! Admittedly I was at the top of Twentywell Lane where it hits 15%, and I was trying quite hard, but it still came as quite a shock! Careful with those brand new Dura Ace chains, children... Luckily no harm done to me or the bike, although the walk home was uncomfortable to say the least.

I would add that it is by far the most amazing bike I have ever ridden, and worth every penny and hour spent in the garage getting stressed about hacking carbon tubes down with a saw. It must be good if I managed to get so enthused that I broke the chain on it 8)

fatkid2000

• junky
#2238 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 04, 2010, 10:01:38 pm
Wipperman Chain is what you need Percy.

Nice bike BTW - one to add to my shortlist for my next stead.

mr__j5

• menacing presence
  • Peter J
  • tall, bendy and weak
#2239 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 05, 2010, 09:22:03 am
I was shocked at how bad the Dura Ace chain was when I put one on my bike last year and snapped it twice in 3 months.

I haven't snapped a chain on or off road for about 10 years before that. Back to SRAM for me.

soapy

• junky
    • maskon
#2240 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 05, 2010, 03:33:06 pm
looks a lovely bike percy, just one query: when are you going to replace those tufos with proper tyres?!

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#2241 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 05, 2010, 09:20:53 pm
Well, the Tufo's are better than the Conti tubs I had on before IMO for general use. Still not punctured one and I'm on my second set (touching wood...)

However, I take your point that some really nice tubs made by a Gauloise smoking artisan from Brittany would also be nice.

Palomides

• forum abuser
#2242 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 07, 2010, 08:42:35 am
That is a fabulous bike, especially how the hubs match the middle of the chainset.

A couple of weeks ago a friend rocked up on his 586 to do a local cyclosportive. I put his bike in the garage and I was really impressed with the finish of the frame - the carbon weave peeking out, and with the shape of the tubes; the slight angularity of the top tube that increases as it approaches the headtube looks great. Especially from above, which is how the rider sees it!

I was also shocked at how light it was. He had his Zipp 303 race wheels on, and when I picked it up I honestly had to check that they hadn't fallen off...

soapy

• junky
    • maskon
#2243 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 07, 2010, 10:31:06 am
well, what do i know about tyres anyway. last week i had a very slim wolber 18 record go on me on the track when riding in a vintage pursuit. result - dislocated left hip :( - the pain supernova of having it popped back in was exquisite. suffice to say that pretty much all physical activity (apart from pull-ups, but what's the point..) is off limits with the exception of tentative physiotherapy. now i have to have a check up or two for avascular necrosis. a crumbling femoral head wasn't what i was looking forward to just yet.

of the commonly available tubs for training, veloflex crit is a good tyre as is the vittoria corsa evo cx 320, they both roll beautifully and have extra material for a little puncture resistance. dugast and fmb offer very nice silks for competition. dugast stocked by pbk. i've heard about challenge and zipp tangente but have no experience

Yossarian

• forum hero
#2244 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 07, 2010, 10:45:18 am
Ben Ingham (of Rapha photography fame) is making a film about Dario Pegoretti.  Brief clip here - http://www.nowness.com/day/2010/5/5/601/frame-of-mind

Going to feature at the Rapha Cycle Club / pop-up shop which is on in Clerkenwell over the next few weeks.

(Nice bike Percy)

Duma

• forum hero
#2245 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 09, 2010, 04:50:42 am
Wiggo wins the maglia rosa - gets rather exited...

Mark Lloyd

• menacing presence
#2246 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 09, 2010, 08:43:36 pm
I snapped my chain coming home today!

I abandoned my mountain bike once due to a snapped chain and had the long walk home, always carry a chain tool nowdays.

fatkid2000

• junky
#2247 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 09, 2010, 10:42:45 pm
Must have been the day for mechanicals!

I managed to shear the rear mech from the hanger on my wilier.

Not really inspected the damage but luckily I was going slowly and it did not fly into the rear spokes.

Managed to cobble the chain into a dodgy single speed to get home - which was thankfully mainly downhill from owler bar.

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#2248 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 09, 2010, 11:07:05 pm
Nevermind mechanical problems - today's Giro stage was all about crashing! If you've ever pondered the following questions I can now enlighten you.

1) What do roadies wear under their shorts?

2) When you shave your legs, do you stop where your shorts start, or do you do the job lot?

chappers

• forum hero
#2249 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 17, 2010, 01:14:24 pm

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal