UKBouldering.com

Leg shavers anonymous (Read 573406 times)

cowboyhat

• forum hero
#2100 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
December 14, 2009, 05:22:34 pm
GReat.

Not after tubs though. I take it you sold the K SL's?

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#2101 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
December 14, 2009, 05:52:42 pm
Yep.

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#2102 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
December 14, 2009, 05:55:31 pm
You can get some superlight clincher rims for not very much, and you'll have a way bigger choice of holes, etc. Its the hubs that'll cost you.

Scraggadoo

• addict
#2103 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
December 14, 2009, 07:44:45 pm
Not to put a downer on anything, but here's an idea...  Get all the latest and lightest stuff etc...  But don't use them.  At least not for a few months.

Intentionally make your bike heavy and ride it through the winter / training to get some miles under your belt.  Come pre-season (Feb or March time) you'll be laughing with all the light stuff on the bike...

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#2104 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
December 14, 2009, 08:36:57 pm
I do! Mudguards, training wheels, lights, etc all ruin a nice lightweight bike, but make you fitter for the one nice day we'll have next July when you can ride your bike in the sun (without a horrific headwind....)  :thumbsup:

Scraggadoo

• addict
#2105 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
December 14, 2009, 08:45:50 pm
Nah save it for beating your (and others) Frogatt hill times...  Also on a day when it's sunny and no winds  ;)

Which reminds me I really must do it one of the few times I'm in Sheffield...

chappers

• forum hero
#2106 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
December 15, 2009, 11:50:15 am
preston is a good location for getting wheels built.
paul hewitt in leyland has some serious good reviews, but i think percy was on bout someone else? i cant think of a name, but he wrote a book on building wheels and is often considered "the expert".
ill try and remember his name...

chappers

• forum hero
#2107 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
December 15, 2009, 11:54:11 am
roger musson?   :shrug:

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#2108 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
December 15, 2009, 12:46:01 pm
I think it was Paul Hewitt who built mine - the name rings a bell!

chappers

• forum hero
#2109 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
December 15, 2009, 10:19:36 pm
well ill give a shout for how good Paul's shop is, maybe the best collection of bike pr0n in the UK??
also that fella Gethen Butler (google to find out his waddage status) works there, always nice to chat with him about his latest adventure (you wanna try running training with the guy - suicide).

i got my Kuota there, very happy with it/them. his wheels are supposed to be the bomb - maybe ill save up to get some too!

bigphil

• menacing presence
#2110 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
December 15, 2009, 10:55:40 pm
I'm looking for suggestions and advice on partaking in the Cycle to Work scheme that has just started.  I'm keen to replace my aged Claud Butler with something more fitting and shiney for my commute from Walkley to West Street but would like to canvas thoughts on:

a) whether its worth it
b) what I should get
c) thoughts on this http://www.evanscycles.com/products/trek/district-2010-single-speed-hybrid-bike-ec016811?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=froogle (sorry, rubbish at links) and...
d) are there alternatives? 

I guess what I'm after is a robust bike that isn't as delicate as my road bike for commuting but which has 700c wheels and which is light weight, fast and most of all looks pretty good.  Any thoughts?

soapy

• junky
    • maskon
#2111 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
December 16, 2009, 01:00:41 pm

oh that's just purty as a picture and i think they do orange tassles to match

bigphil

• menacing presence
#2112 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
December 16, 2009, 10:31:08 pm

oh that's just purty as a picture and i think they do orange tassles to match

That's why I asked. I'm liking the belt drive, the light weight, leather grips and saddle but not the OTT colour scheme. Twat, is what would jump out at me if I saw someone riding down the road on it.  What I'd like to know is are there alternatives that can be bought as a complete bike on C2W? Otherwise I might just be that twat riding down the road.

fatkid2000

• junky
#2113 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
December 17, 2009, 08:34:30 am
I'm not sure about the technicalities of where you can buy a bike from on C2W.
If I wanted a flat bar town bike I'd look at a cannondale bad boy.

soapy

• junky
    • maskon
#2114 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
December 17, 2009, 09:51:07 am
the soho, at least it doesn't shout "steal me!"

they're both pretty expensive for expendible commuters

DubDom

• menacing presence
#2115 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
December 17, 2009, 09:53:52 am

chappers

• forum hero
#2116 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
December 17, 2009, 02:31:47 pm
what is wrong with you people.  :shrug:

CANNONDALE BAD BOY!!!

charge bikes are good, but i feel they have become confused in their direction and have produced a series of badly thought out. the mixer is good, but all these fashionable "track" bikes....

soapy

• junky
    • maskon
#2117 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
December 17, 2009, 02:37:43 pm
the cannondale has a sinister fork though, bleurgh

this is excellent for £350, size large
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 02:52:53 pm by soapy »

chappers

• forum hero
#2118 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
December 17, 2009, 05:27:44 pm
fuck, i remember seeing that pompy on lfgss a while back and wanting it. please someone buy it!!

Scraggadoo

• addict
#2119 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
December 18, 2009, 02:46:23 pm
Giordana Jacket

Bought a windproof jacket for those colder days - I'm not a fan of those boil in the bags and wanted a softshell.  Got this earlier this week and managed to get out there this morning.  Boy was it cold when I set off!  Went into the Lakes (Coniston) so it would have been a little cold there too, at least 0 - 1 degrees.  No snow here though  :P but had to get off twice because of ice...

Anyway was toasty in this jacket (and 1x base layer only) and its a good fit too.  Might be buying some more giordana stuff methinks...  Italian, does the job, whats not to like?  :bounce: :)

Yossarian

• forum hero
#2120 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
December 28, 2009, 06:52:09 pm
Percy - how are your wheels holding up?  What tyres have you got on them?  I am still intrigued by the idea of using tubs as training wheels.  I seem to have some imaginary puncture nightmare aversion to the whole thing.

I quite fancy buying some fancy wheels in the new year (those Tune Olympic Gold ones on the la bicicleta website look nice) and clinchers (for all their practicality) don't really do it for me.

I read this - http://www.roadcyclinguk.com/bike-reviews/lew-carbon-rims-on-tune-hubs/3594.html - a while back, although I can't find anyone selling the Lew rims.  I just want a really fast set of wheels for the odd time trial and some sportives and stuff...

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#2121 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
December 29, 2009, 11:00:54 am
The new wheels are still as true as the day got them, and are beautiful to ride on. At the moment I've got Tufo S3 Lite tubs on ( http://www.planet-x-warehouse.co.uk/acatalog/info_TBTUS3BK.html ) and these have been excellent. Nice and light, no punctures in a lot of miles (I'm on my second set and still haven't had a puncture, he says frantically touching wood and rubbing the lucky rabbits foot!)! The Tufos or Conti's have been very good - I've not gone for anything more exotic yet, but the summer might be the time to treat the bike to some new boots....

I used to use tubs on a pair of carbon wheels for time trials, etc. and train on clinchers, but I basically like riding tubs too much so now I have two sets of wheels which run tubs - the hand-builts ones for pretty much every sort of riding I can think of, and the carbon ones for time trials, etc.

The Lew rims on Tune hubs look amazing - way better than a pair of Zipps but for the same money. Looks like the dude in the article bought his rims direct from Lew in the States, so you might want to check the exchange rate and buy direct from their website. 950 grams for a pair of wheels sounds like they should be pretty quick - some good reveiws of Lew stuff here - http://www.rouesartisanales.over-blog.com/

Yossarian

• forum hero
#2122 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
December 29, 2009, 05:09:43 pm
Ah ha...  What's the deal with the puncture stuff for them?  It sounds a bit messy... Do you carry a tube with you?

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#2123 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
December 29, 2009, 09:26:21 pm
Apparently no mess - I haven't ever used one (fondles four-leaf clover, crosses fingers, etc.) but you just pop the valve core out using a little spanner (I have a 1p coin with the correct sized slot cut in it!) squirt in the sealant, put the valve core back in, spin the wheel and pump it back up. On long rides and/or in the winter I do carry a spare tub - strapped on under the saddle with an old toe-strap.

Yossarian

• forum hero
#2124 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
December 30, 2009, 12:21:37 pm
Interesting...

On another note (or quite a few notes probably), I think I've decided on Cervelo over Wilier.  I did the math, and reckon I can get an S2 for around the same price as the special deal Wilier Imperiale.  If I pick the components sensibly.  If and when it's all finished I will have to stick some pics up.

Has anyone entered any events for 2010 yet?

I'm down for the Dragon Ride in June, plus the MucOff enduro in April.  Want to do some more MTB enduros, a bit of XC and maybe a Euro sportive of some sort.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal