UKBouldering.com

Leg shavers anonymous (Read 573612 times)

webbo

• forum hero
#1900 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
July 15, 2009, 04:39:37 pm
Quote from: BikeRadar review
The Cube's Scape saddle looks like the Fizik Arione with its long, flat top, but that's where the similarity ends: it's far too soft and lacks adequate support for all but the very lightest rider

nabbed from their website.

Could this be the culprit?  Gonna have a chat down the LBS tomorrow...
before you start splashing out on a new expensive saddle.consider this last year having not done as much riding as usual i felt the bum bone pain i was getting was due to my saddle being knackered i.e 10 years old.so i bought one those fancy things with hole in it.i got my arse measured and all that.still my arse hurt but i put it down to just getting used to the new shape.
this year i started getting out and i could barely ride for 2 hours without being in serious pain and the next day i couldn't ride for the pain.so i switched back to old saddle which was  slightly better and gritted my teeth and got on with it.7 weeks later i can manage 5 hours with my legs and back causing me the grief rather than my arse bones.
for the last 10 years i've averaged once or twice aweek but this year i've had 6 weeks when i didn't ride at all so i reckon whilst my legs are fine to ride for 2 hours from nothing my backside needs a gentle reintroduction.

Scraggadoo

• addict
#1901 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
July 15, 2009, 09:08:18 pm
Thanks all for your kind input, different words of wisdom offered here and there.

I tried out a few saddles at my LBS - I know that to be definite you need to have a demo of the saddle before you can say anything about it.  But I tried a few and didn't get on at all (it was strange explaining my arse symptoms to a bloke, think that will be the last time!) until I had a sit down on a Fizik Aliante...  Aaahh...  This was without padded shorts but this felt easily the best by some margin.

I'm picking the bike up tomorrow afternoon (it's in for its first service) and will have a bit of a try out again there with some padded shorts.  Hoping that I will get on with this much better.  It seems that it may be nearly new (no packaging) but they're offering it at £50 which is very reasonable considering I was thinking around 75 - 100 quid would be necessary!

No idea of what other saddles may be of a similar shape though, and although they had a fair few in stock, only 3 fiziks or so and the rest were specialized / bontragers etc

Plattsy

• forum hero
#1902 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
July 23, 2009, 11:19:36 am

Palomides

• forum abuser
#1903 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
July 23, 2009, 12:36:55 pm

Real butterflies... I don't know whether to be shocked, impressed, horrified or all three.

Actually I'm impressed that a bike decoration can have that effect on me, which i suspect is partly the point.

bigphil

• menacing presence
#1904 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
July 26, 2009, 10:14:46 am
Damian Hirsts Trek.  :-\

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/stages/hirst/

As if it wasn't ugly enough in Livestrong yellow and black, its been Damien Hirsted with dead butterflies.

Yossarian

• forum hero
#1905 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
July 30, 2009, 09:12:59 am
http://www.wilier.it/

Now that's tasty...

fatkid2000

• junky
#1906 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
July 30, 2009, 02:31:06 pm
I need that bike - yes honestly I do.

I'm off for a bit of road action in Spain in September where my Dad lives near Denia. Anyway I am somewhat worried as the people who have offered to take me out for a local spin - sound rather good. One is a friend of Mr Contador - the kind of chap who used to train with him when they were Juniors in Spain - anyway he's told me not to worry as he is now 15Kg heavier, well that will make him about 75 Kg - & still be a mountain goat. One of the others has finished in le tour top 10 on few occasions - he's got a website as well all in Spanish - Eduardo Choraz.
www.echozas.com

Oh and the regional XC MTB Champion rides with them. Should be a bundle of laughs. I expect to die.

Anyone else here the rumour that Campag have been sold - to a Japanese company?

fatkid2000

• junky
#1907 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
July 30, 2009, 02:37:47 pm
OH look he even has a wikipedia page. 6th overal in 1990!!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eduardo_Chozas

Palomides

• forum abuser
#1908 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
July 30, 2009, 02:51:09 pm
If you're going riding with Spanish ex-pros, you probably need a bike with electric motors in the wheels, never mind the derailleurs!

Look at the size of his legs!

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#1909 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
July 30, 2009, 03:04:21 pm
I need that bike - yes honestly I do.

I'm off for a bit of road action in Spain in September where my Dad lives near Denia. Anyway I am somewhat worried as the people who have offered to take me out for a local spin - sound rather good. One is a friend of Mr Contador - the kind of chap who used to train with him when they were Juniors in Spain - anyway he's told me not to worry as he is now 15Kg heavier, well that will make him about 75 Kg - & still be a mountain goat. One of the others has finished in le tour top 10 on few occasions - he's got a website as well all in Spanish - Eduardo Choraz.
www.echozas.com

Oh and the regional XC MTB Champion rides with them. Should be a bundle of laughs. I expect to die.

Anyone else here the rumour that Campag have been sold - to a Japanese company?

from the first 2 lines I was about to get jealous... now I'm thankful I cant get the time off anyway.. when you're there get some info on any uplift services in that area.. apart from our previous operator I'm not getting very far.. and i doubt they'll have us back  :P

fatkid2000

• junky
#1910 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
August 02, 2009, 07:15:12 pm
Managed 60Km round the peak this morning - but boy my power output has vanished, 8 weeks out plus an operation and I struggled on hills I normally find piss. 16:30 up Froggart mind - so can't be that bad.

SteveM

• stalker
  • I feel the need for speed
    • bad-altitude
#1911 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
August 02, 2009, 08:24:41 pm
Finished the longest ride I've ever done on saturday. C2c in a day solo which added up to 152 miles for the whole day with the extras on either end.

Finished with food left too - wtf?

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#1912 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
August 02, 2009, 08:32:00 pm
16:30 up Froggart mind - so can't be that bad.
You still can't spell Froggatt though ;)

Anyway, I think your time is on shaky ground, given the tail wind helping you out today....! Managed to get out myself - maybe the fourth time in 2 months I've had a couple of hours not filled with work, family, climbing or illness. I was crap, but it won't take long for the old 'magic' to return (I hope). The new wheels are a delight to ride on. Some new bits of road in the Peak have been resurfaced (badly) and are now rideable again - in particular Long Line on the way out of Sheff on the A625 has got some new tarmac, as has the long and lovely hill out of Dore village that joins the A625 just before Blackamoor woods. About time too!

chappers

• forum hero
#1913 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
August 03, 2009, 04:19:34 pm
well done steve - having done that myself i know how hard it is, and i was in a group!

SteveM

• stalker
  • I feel the need for speed
    • bad-altitude
#1914 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
August 03, 2009, 06:02:49 pm
Thanks chappers. The hard bit was the driving rain first thing in the morning - it didn't stop falling until well past Penrith. I think I prefered being alone, it just allowed me to press on at my own pace. Less peer pressure support though like you say

;)

fatkid2000

• junky
#1915 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
August 03, 2009, 09:17:41 pm
16:30 up Froggart mind - so can't be that bad.
You still can't spell Froggatt though ;)

I'm blaming the spell checker.

Anyway, I think your time is on shaky ground, given the tail wind helping you out today....!

I was not looking to set any records merely to get some miles in my legs - having been confined to the sofa for 8 weeks due to surgery on my spack knee.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#1916 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
August 03, 2009, 10:35:49 pm
dont get too pissed...
thats what i can do at best... and I'm happy ( i.e: not the slowest git on the block / peak sportive), however give it a month and then you'll be eating into those times.. not that you'll be having too much time..

because more importantly..

when will you be announcing your change in direction with regard to your NEW bike..

go on, tell em...

or you know I will...

go on, let me stroke it....

Hmmmmmm

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#1917 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
August 03, 2009, 10:47:22 pm
Good point well made - any bike that is 'reduced by £1500' must be pretty expensive by anyones measure.... Come on, what you packing? From Fatdoc's post, please don't tell me you've frittered cash away on anything other than a road bike...please!

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#1918 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
August 03, 2009, 10:57:15 pm
203mm travel, she's a beauty.

come on Percy...

get with it...

uplifts, fear and ultimate satisfaction when going back to work on the monday.. we can all keep fit enough to stay off cardiovascular disease by the commute to work...

the dark side is calling you...

just cast your mind back.. you are 10 yrs old.. and you've jumped over 5 mates / your local stream in the park.. relive the freedom.. the highs are even bigger now...

this is fun, an escape, a reason to put up with the weekly grind.

you must at least be curious...?

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#1919 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
August 03, 2009, 11:06:30 pm
There are some activities that I know I will love, but I also know that I am a bit too 'enthusiastic' for. My body is fucked up enough without letting me loose on a downhill bike. A bit of XC and beng a roadie is enough for me. I'm way too stupid to be allowed a downhill bike!

fatkid2000

• junky
#1920 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
August 04, 2009, 08:26:46 am
It's a bmx - well with a huge spring in the back and a big fork at the front. It looks a beaut right now - but once its been ridden it won't.

Fatdoc - keep your grubby hands off.

Hopefully it will keep me sane in the next 6 months - as my weekly grind is more like 7 days of hell - with 2 days off every now and then, when all my mates are at work. Oh well at least Wharners will be quiet when I get to go .

Then a trip (not holiday) to Spain awaits.

Percy you know you need one of these bikes - it can't be anymore dangerous than riding on the road, I almost got taken off by a lorry going down to Baslow on Sunday.  FD have you seen the new version of your Giant?

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#1921 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
August 04, 2009, 09:02:07 pm
YES!

full outing of fatkid as a a wannabe DHer on the roadie thread :thumbsup:

Perc, I have a *spare DH rig* whenever you wanna have a go, it's not that hard.. (and a spare full facer an all), what it is, is not cycling as you know it.. anaerobic fitness specific, not aerobic. great release after a hard week at work though..

to this day I simply dont get why boulderers dont DH MTB, very similar mind set and personal feelings of achievement.

The new giant, yep looks good. My Totems will be back with me by the end of the week (2 weeks in wooler await it) and I'll be upgrading the Hopes to the new levers combined with 6 pots asap.

Joepicalli

• forum abuser
#1922 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
August 04, 2009, 09:54:05 pm
There are some activities that I know I will love, but I also know that I am a bit too 'enthusiastic' for. My body is fucked up enough without letting me loose on a downhill bike. A bit of XC and beng a roadie is enough for me. I'm way too stupid to be allowed a downhill bike!
I sooo relate- the same reasoning lead me to never, never get a motorbike.
I'd be dead, you would all be desolate, I couldn't inflict that on you.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#1923 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
August 04, 2009, 10:00:33 pm
Damian Hirsts Trek.  :-\

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/stages/hirst/

"Lance is an inspiration to many people on many levels. Bono first approached me about the bike and described Lance to me as 'the greatest sportsman the world has ever known after Ali!'

Haha what a pair of utter fucking scum cunt dreck.  Fuck off!

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#1924 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
August 04, 2009, 10:29:07 pm
I sooo relate- the same reasoning lead me to never, never get a motorbike.
I'd be dead, you would all be desolate, I couldn't inflict that on you.

i have to say that to is where I draw my personal line in the sand... it's like road bikes, but more in the lap of the gods (aka.. *i just didnt see you mate*) there are very few activities I'd not support my kids to do.. a motorbike is one such activity. I've seen some bad shit with regards to them there machines.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal