UKBouldering.com

Leg shavers anonymous (Read 573400 times)

fatkid2000

• junky

chappers

• forum hero
#1776 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 10, 2009, 09:26:01 pm
what a let down.

shame that cav didn't take the stage today i really want him to win everything so everyone that says to me "he is such a tosser, loudmouth"etc... i can turn around and say he has a right to be!!

cowboyhat

• forum hero
#1777 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 11, 2009, 11:25:49 am
Cav's reaction was amazing; as he came over the line in second place he had the same look as Didier Drogba last wednesday. Get the impression he won't let it happen again.

tlr

• forum abuser
  • tim-russon.myportfolio Instagram tim_russon
    • Myportfolio
#1778 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 11, 2009, 09:43:21 pm
Second attempt at the Fred Whitton on Sunday. Weather wasn't as good as last year, but wasn't too bad (no wind, mild) until the top of Hardknott Pass when the heavens opened and dumped freezing hail and rain on everybody, leaving a nice film of slush on the descents off Hardknott and Wrynose. A few cases of near hypothermia at the finish.

Managed to beat last years time by 24 minutes, mainly by eating less at the feed stations I think rather than pedaling faster! And managed somehow not to walk at all.

Enjoyed my steak and beer afterwards.

Shy Yorkshireman

• regular
    • climblox
#1779 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 11, 2009, 10:53:21 pm
Nice one Tim. 24mins is a lot. Reckon it could have been more if the last ten miles weren't death.
I couldn't feel my hands or see the road on the last descent. Got pipped by a certain Basher by 4 mins as well.

After trying to sell my bike at the finish, i now can't wait for next year. roll on.

tlr

• forum abuser
    • Myportfolio
#1780 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 12, 2009, 09:17:00 am
Bloody hell, 6.50 is a hell of a time for first attempt, well done. Beat me by 22 minutes despite all my training.

Have a wad.

Basher had trained like a beast to get that time to, so don't feel too bad about it!

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#1781 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 12, 2009, 09:37:46 am
Its in his genes.

He'll have to do a lot better to impress me. I see you were still over an hour behind your bro Aidy you punter!!!

chappers

• forum hero
#1782 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 12, 2009, 11:10:13 am
good effort boys.

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#1783 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 12, 2009, 11:11:33 am
Its all a matter of perspective, Tim! Well done on knocking 24 mins off last years time - 24 mins is a big difference on the road - maybe 7 or 8 miles even on lakeland roads.
By comparison, the Shy Yorkshireman will probably be the focus of some sibling ribbing at the next family get-together, letting the family name down like that. Slow-coach! Over 6 hours, and beaten by Basher too....the disgrace

;)

cowboyhat

• forum hero
#1784 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 12, 2009, 05:04:42 pm
Sounds fun, sort off.

In contrast I got pretty bad sunburn riding to Brighton on Sunday...

fatkid2000

• junky
#1785 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 12, 2009, 09:19:02 pm
This is a bit of an advert - for la bicicletta on Greystones Road. I've just had my winter trainer / commuting bike serviced there and its come back in perfect riding condition. The headset has been replaced, new bottom bracket bearings, installed Gore cables (which I provided) along with general tweaking and sorting out. The total cost was £120 which considering the hope headset is £60 I think is pretty good value. The turn round was 4 days and my bike didn't get lost - as I'm informed another local bike shop is good at. I think if Alex keeps up the good work he could get over loaded with work from local riders.

Shy Yorkshireman

• regular
    • climblox
#1786 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 12, 2009, 10:30:52 pm
By comparison, the Shy Yorkshireman will probably be the focus of some sibling ribbing at the next family get-together, letting the family name down like that. Slow-coach! Over 6 hours, and beaten by Basher too....the disgrace

;)

I'm OK, i didn't do no walking, he said he'd dissown me if i did. But, he then sold me a standard double front ring. Bastard.
We once had an argument about who would sit at the head of the table for Christmas dinner, Rob suggested a ride round the block to settle it but soon shut up when i suggested a few hours on the rock down the glen afterwards. he can only manage the one pull up. I reckon the hour in the whitton will take some making up though. That said throwing laps on the Barron don't come over night.

Scraggadoo

• addict
#1787 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 13, 2009, 07:57:46 pm
I may well be posting in this thread a little after my latest acquisition...

My first foray into road biking  8)

I did set a budget of 600 and overspent just a little.   :oops: 

Life is for living after all.  I did try other bikes such as the Trek 1.7 (close to a grand!) and 1.5 and this one felt much better than either of those despite the weight penalty so went for this.  After all it is my first road bike, didn't want it to cripple me!  What do you guys reckon?

If I get serious about it, I'll do either of these options

1)  Upgrade to compact (I reckon this has waaaaay too many gears) and upgrade wheels

or

2)  Get a new bike altogether and keep this as a commuting / winter training bike...

First I have to walk cycle well before I can run be hardcore.  That said, I am never shaving my legs ever!

Duma

• forum hero
#1788 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 13, 2009, 08:34:31 pm
Looks good. Like you say, once you've made sure you're not going to just leave it to gather dust, ditch the triple, then think about upgrading the wheels, those fulcrums ain't the lightest thing out there, and I think I remember someone on here (percy?) moaning about them in the past. Too nice to be a commuter though, and no clearance for guards.

Scraggadoo

• addict
#1789 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 13, 2009, 08:44:12 pm
Hmmm, too nice to be a commuter - I was actually buying it for that reason but as you say it is just too nice to slowly destroy it bit by bit (does it matter I cycle on country roads to work which is only in a small town??) - it would get put into secure lockup as well so no worries on that front (and getting on site is a problem as it is a defence business).

I am contemplating buying a second hand bike for commuting but I don't want a crap bike for commuting either...  Currently trawling the (e)bay but with my lack of experience I'm not too sure which ones would be a good buy.

Duma

• forum hero
#1790 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 13, 2009, 09:12:00 pm
If it's secure and undercover at work then that's my main concern out of the way, you'll be fine. Only other things would be that guards are nice for wet days, and it's a fat tubed alu frame so isn't likely to be too forgiving if you'll be loaded with much kit on your commute. Don't worry about "slowly destroying it bit by bit" - that's what it's for! If your bike dies through sheer miles ridden, that's a good result!

chappers

• forum hero
#1791 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 13, 2009, 09:18:21 pm
those racing 7 wheels are ok but  a little heavy. perfect for training a putting in loads of miles!  :thumbsup:
i have a pair of expensive campag wheels too for "best".

nice one. welcome to the club!

Scraggadoo

• addict
#1792 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 13, 2009, 09:26:09 pm
Sweet, thanks guys.  Probably be looking to do some serious mileage first and getting some air in the lungs before shelling out on any upgrades (which will replace the hopefully worn parts).

Living in the Lakes, I'm probably going to kill myself riding though on some of the steep hills round here.  Oh well, what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger.

I do have some misgivings though despite the secureness of the storage - people from outside the company wouldn't be able to get anywhere near it (even if they could see it anyway) but the bike would have to be parked with all the other commuters bikes and I'm worried they might inflict damage upon it just out of pure jealousy (lets be honest, they would) or sheer carelessness.

In addition to that, I probably would be getting changed at work so all I would need would be water, keys/phone/wallet?  Not too cumbersome.  That said I've a mate who's really into BMX and MTB ing who lives right next to work so he might be sympathetic to my cause...

Any good insurance companies for cycling that you can recommend fellas?

Cheers

fatkid2000

• junky
#1793 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 13, 2009, 09:49:13 pm
Those racing 7 wheels may be heavy but they will run for ages. I've put over 3000 miles into mine and they still run true and have taken all sorts of hits on the shitty roads of Sheffield. 

Mind you I'm looking at getting some royce hubbed wheels built up for commuting.

As for insurance - look at your house insurance. My bikes are insured on our house insurance which is M&S and they will cover a bike up to £4K anywhere in the world. Some commuters have public liability insurance in case they damage another person or their possessions - I don't have it, but am thinking of getting some.

Don't worry about riding an expensive bike for commuting. FD uses a full carbon Wilier for his cycling to work and my commuter is a titanium Sunday. I know one chap who rides a Cervelo to work!!

Scraggadoo

• addict
#1794 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 13, 2009, 10:10:47 pm
Reassuring that my wheels will take some abuse.

Insurance - will take a look at that, thanks for the knowledge on house insurance, will check it out!

I suppose if anything happens with the bike you could claim it off the insurance...  Or use it as an excuse for new parts  ::)

Scraggadoo

• addict
#1795 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 19, 2009, 09:46:47 pm
Hmmm...  I was just thinking about going for rides when I get my new bike (currently being built at shop) and in the Lakes / Peak, there's loads of cattle grids.  Now being a complete newbie to road biking, I'm not entirely sure you can ride over cattle grids?!  Or better to get off and back on??  I think you can though...

This might be the dumbest question ever asked!  I make no apologies however, my new bike is going to be my pride and joy...

tlr

• forum abuser
    • Myportfolio
#1796 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 19, 2009, 09:53:49 pm
You have to perfect a technique whereby as you come up to the cattle grid you skid sideways, flip over, roll across the cattle grid with your back to the floor and the bike in the air with the wheels just touching the tarmac as you come to the other side. You are buggered if the cattle grid is longer than expected however. Its the best bit of the Tour de France.

According to Radio 4 last night sheep have learnt to cross cattle grids in a similar manner. Without the skidding bit.

Just ride over them, just make sure you are going in a straight line! From my experience the ones in the Peak are much harsher than the nice ones in the Lakes.

Scraggadoo

• addict
#1797 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 19, 2009, 10:46:12 pm
 :lol: I had to ask didn't I  ;)

Fine technique there if you ask me, split my sides laughing when I read it!

I have found some of my local cattle grids to be quite harsh, such that when I go on my runs, I have to slow down to slower than a normal walking pace to cross the grids safely (you'd think they were human grids).  I have to agree though that elsewhere in the Lakes, the ones I have encountered have been nowhere like this one!  Didn't think the ones in the Peak were too bad either, but then again there's a few places in the Peak I haven't encountered yet.

Oh dear, talking about cattle grids.  Sad state of affairs.  I'll shut up now!   :spank:

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1798 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 20, 2009, 08:27:48 am
When running don't slow down, speed up, and clear it in a single jump. Make sure that someone is videoing you so that it can go on You've Been Framed to pay for hospital bills.

chappers

• forum hero
#1799 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 20, 2009, 05:49:44 pm
cav again!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal