UKBouldering.com

Leg shavers anonymous (Read 573395 times)

fatkid2000

• junky
#1650 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
November 06, 2008, 08:23:43 pm
I can lend the Norton my winter bike with guards & a really heavy wheel-set, but I think a fixed wheel sounds even better. We all know Norton loves to wear lycra, he just can't admit to it - hiding it under his baggies.

I used to ride speed play pedals - too much float for my liking, but loads of people really rate them.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#1651 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
November 06, 2008, 09:34:40 pm
too much float for me2, I now use basic Looks, set up by a quality LBS

Yossarian

• forum hero
#1652 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
November 06, 2008, 09:54:42 pm

also - who here knows how powerful a lumen is? i want a chart showing me distance and how far the lumens will light up?
will that one be good enough for a night time road ride on country lanes as well as making car drivers aware of my presence?

i rode london to brighton at night with fatdoc's light. that was great on medium, and the full beam was quite effective at dealing with blacked-out lincoln continentals in croydon. dunno how many lumens it is - maybe 900 on full?

i've recently rescued my light&motion arc. that's about 650 lumens.  i used to train at night with that on the road bike. sent the HR monitor a bit loopy though. and impressed an owl.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#1653 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
November 07, 2008, 07:32:38 am
720. this years are 920.

To be fully honest it's not as bright - or the light isnt as useful - as my old HID. this is for MTB mind... on the road it's the dogs...

i've seen 1 900+ lumen system in action: Norton's 4 led Hope light... it's a lot brighter than mine... technology is moving soo fast in this area that every year there are big differences in true visible light..

i cant find a comparision of watts / lumens either.... you really need to see what they look like to your eyes... people see differently...

i'm getting one of these

www.exposurelights.com/products/joystick_maxx_2_-_2009/index.php

for my helmet once the LBS has them in stock  ;D

fatkid2000

• junky
#1654 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
November 07, 2008, 12:11:40 pm
I'm thinking about a lupine light - as being really blind (well badly longsighted) I need as much light asa possible for night rides.

Has anybody else noticed how quiet Norton is being??? - Closet roadie me thinks.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1655 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
November 07, 2008, 12:16:43 pm
I'm thinking about a lupine light - as being really blind (well badly longsighted) I need as much light asa possible for night rides.

Has anybody else noticed how quiet Norton is being??? - Closet roadie me thinks.

What good are flowers going to be for riding at night?

squeek

• junky
#1656 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
November 07, 2008, 12:24:44 pm
also - who here knows how powerful a lumen is? i want a chart showing me distance and how far the lumens will light up?
will that one be good enough for a night time road ride on country lanes as well as making car drivers aware of my presence?

This web page has a good comparison for different lights:
http://www.mtbr.com/beamcomparisoncrx.aspx
They've MTB based, but should give reasonable examples of the difference between the lights.  I have the photon max LED, which is 800 lumens.  You can switch it from 12watts, 6 watts, 4 watts or blinking.  I can meet you after work if you want to see what it's like.

Dolly

• forum hero
#1657 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
November 07, 2008, 12:31:28 pm
Has anybody else noticed how quiet Norton is being??? - Closet roadie me thinks

He's in Font, walking around in the rain I should imagine.

I'll wager a lot of beer that Norton will never get on a road bike.  - I'd love to see it mind

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#1658 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
November 10, 2008, 09:14:41 am
well, a little 38km jaunt through the sleet and wind yesterday morning has really brought it home to me how much work i need to do for the Cat  :'(  And that's just to make it round, never mind do OK.

As the MTB trails are now soaking and generally more than a bit scetchy, and the sportives for 2009 are coming on line I'm taking the liberty of the *calling of the road*

I'll be getting perc and fatkid to drag me about the peak in an attempt to get the fitness  :(

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#1659 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
November 10, 2008, 11:07:00 am
Calling of the road? You've got it all topsy-turvy, FD!

There's no road sessions for me unless we get a few dry crispy early morning rides in (ie: dry roads - I'm not ruining a decent bike on wet winter roads, although it is a good way of justifying buying a new groupset next spring!)

I'd like to announce the calling of the hardcore turbo session in my garage, coupled with a load of boggy XC mileage. That should see me through the next few months!

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
#1660 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
November 10, 2008, 01:11:39 pm
The only time anybody takes any notice of me is when I'm away! :kiss2:

So I'm off again now, ta ra ....

fatkid2000

• junky
#1661 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
November 10, 2008, 02:23:09 pm
Maybe the Wednesday XC saddles sniffers club, should become an after work turbo session - should build abit of team spirit etc for the cat.

Percy - I think a winter of XC will do far more damage to your hardtail than abit of winter road mileage.

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#1662 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
November 10, 2008, 05:17:04 pm
True, but my MTB is worth 5 times less than my road bike, so I'm far more inclined to try and break my MTB this winter than my Lightspeed!

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#1663 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
November 10, 2008, 07:48:39 pm
it's breaking yourself that should be more important dude  ;)

Joepicalli

• forum abuser
#1664 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
November 12, 2008, 02:54:20 pm
Apropos of absolutely nothing, I did the Col de Vance on Monday as part of a 100ker with a blindingly fit French bloke and a German with huge thighs. At least the French guy had the good grace to be on a seriously sexy carbon Look with a col killing compact on. The German was on a an ancient steel thing with a drive which wouldn't look out of place in a windmill and a back block that would have fitted happily into a ladies swiss watch. Needless to say they both dropped me like they were riding in a parallel dimension: one visible to the one I was in but with really quite noticeably less gravity. Anyway I got round and it was really really purrty.

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
#1665 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
November 12, 2008, 06:32:04 pm
 :)

I bet the bloody sun was shining though?

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#1666 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
November 12, 2008, 10:05:53 pm
Apropos of absolutely nothing, I did the Col de Vance on Monday as part of a 100ker with a blindingly fit French bloke and a German with huge thighs. At least the French guy had the good grace to be on a seriously sexy carbon Look with a col killing compact on. The German was on a an ancient steel thing with a drive which wouldn't look out of place in a windmill and a back block that would have fitted happily into a ladies swiss watch. Needless to say they both dropped me like they were riding in a parallel dimension: one visible to the one I was in but with really quite noticeably less gravity. Anyway I got round and it was really really purrty.

that's you killing me when you get back to sheff mate, respect  :great:

Joepicalli

• forum abuser
#1667 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
November 13, 2008, 04:58:21 pm
:)

I bet the bloody sun was shining though?
Yeah, with snow covered mountains in distance, and little French villages with fountains and boulangeries and everything. Actually I'm getting misty eyed for it and I'm still here. It has been a bit mingy today though.
Anyway Fatdoc up for a bit of road and or mountain bike action when I get back? (Next wed) pm me if y'are.

chappers

• forum hero
#1668 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
November 21, 2008, 08:02:32 pm

i just bought this...

Joepicalli

• forum abuser
#1669 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
November 24, 2008, 12:35:15 am

i just bought this...
How expensive are stickers with 531 on them?

fatkid2000

• junky
#1670 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
November 24, 2008, 05:06:53 pm
20 p - unless fatdoc is purchasing in which case who knows.

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#1671 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
November 24, 2008, 05:17:48 pm
In Fatdoc's case, the 531 sticker would be the price tag.

Seriously though, Chappers, WTF have you frittered your hard earned away on now?

And on an even different note, I'm currently reading 'A dog in a hat', by former pro, Joe Parkin. Very gritty read, and a very clear illustration of how prevalent drug taking was in Belgian and Dutch cycling in the 80's. Recommended.

fatkid2000

• junky
#1672 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
November 24, 2008, 09:26:02 pm

And on an even different note, I'm currently reading 'A dog in a hat', by former pro, Joe Parkin. Very gritty read, and a very clear illustration of how prevalent drug taking was in Belgian and Dutch cycling in the 80's. Recommended.

Mate of mine was first amateur to finish in the world Ironman championship, about 10 years aso - ended up training with some pro-tour teams. He moaned to the team doctor about the fact he couldn't recover as quick as the other riders - anyway he got offered all sorts.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#1673 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
November 25, 2008, 01:16:44 pm
that last post explains alot about your hill climbing times mate

:-[

chappers

• forum hero
#1674 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
November 25, 2008, 01:32:49 pm
Seriously though, Chappers, WTF have you frittered your hard earned away on now?

ha ha, i now own a vintage handbuilt terry dolan track frame. what i will do with it i have no idea. seriously it was a bargain!?!?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal