UKBouldering.com

Leg shavers anonymous (Read 573474 times)

chappers

• forum hero
#1625 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
November 02, 2008, 08:02:52 pm

dont know where to put this - its what one of my bikes looks like now...

chappers

• forum hero
#1626 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
November 02, 2008, 08:11:30 pm
tried to find entry to the cheshire cat on line - anyone got a link?

fatkid2000

• junky
#1627 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
November 02, 2008, 08:47:28 pm
Nice bike chappers any details?

http://www.kilotogo.com/cheshire%20cat.html

chappers

• forum hero
#1628 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
November 03, 2008, 10:12:11 am
frame - dolan track with carbon itm (cheap) fork.
wheels - rear blue Velocity deep V rim laced to velocity hub. front gold campagnolo.
drive - sugino cranks, on-one sprocket, durace lock ring. KMC chain. (48 x 18)
bars - nitto risers cut down, track grips.

this week (birthday) adding classic black and gold rolls seat and the ultimate brake - paul comp e-lever. (also want a black seat post).

cheers for the cat details, waiting for a mate to get back to me then we will sign up!

chappers

• forum hero
#1629 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
November 03, 2008, 10:10:55 pm
102 mile event entered.
roll up roll up BUK road cycling team.

tlr

• forum abuser
  • tim-russon.myportfolio Instagram tim_russon
    • Myportfolio
#1630 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
November 05, 2008, 03:03:37 pm
I was thinking of the Cheshire Cat as a nice sportive to start the season off with. Not sure about the 102 mile version though.

Anybody want to join me on the 67 mile girls version? I think Fatdoc did this last year so he should be persuadable...

chappers

• forum hero
#1631 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
November 05, 2008, 06:54:03 pm
i would like to make a rant about the shitty state of britain's shitty fucking roads.
i managed to put a hip sized hole in a pair of assos shorts this morning due to the road being awash with petrol. i also now have a hip sized patch of road rash all over my hip.

on another note im buying more lights - i felt really exposed out there today, any ideas?
i think i will have a few more flashers on the back, on the front i want a powerful bastard to line up next to my flasher, 50 - 60 quids to spend - ideally i want one of them ones with a separate battery pack so most of the bulk isnt on my bars.
cheers

fatkid2000

• junky
#1632 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
November 05, 2008, 07:52:51 pm
The roads are f***ing awful - got to agree there, and the councils are suppose to be encouraging cycling - not sure where you live chappers but I was cycling down Rustlings road and on to Eccie Road the other day and there was a line of oil / diesel all the way down it. It was bloody lethal. Anyway I got up the source of this - a 20 year old bus puffing ou all manner of toxic fumes. I told the driver, who informed me it wasn't his problem.

Light wise. On the rear get one of these:
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Blackburn_Mars_40_Safety_Rear_Light/5360037937/ Amazingly bright.

or
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Cateye_TL_LD610_Rear_Light/5360031618/

Up front spend a bit more than £50 if you can, I rate these exposures - fatdoc thinks his doesn't hold the charge so well after a years use, but mine seem fine - and I used mine to commute through the winter last year. I have a small one for the helmet and a big one on the bar - the weight doesn't effect handling and they are seriously bright. Cars actually stop at junctions and don't pull out. They are good enough for off-road night riding as well. The new Hope lights are also good apparently.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/m/Cycle/7/Exposure/

Or this cateye is good.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Cateye_EL610_Single_Shot_Plus_Front_Light/5360031622/

Also wear a light on your bag or shirt and get some little ones for the back of your helmet.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Electron_Backupz_Seatpost_5_LED_Rear_Light/5360020255/

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#1633 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
November 06, 2008, 01:41:56 pm
I was thinking of the Cheshire Cat as a nice sportive to start the season off with. Not sure about the 102 mile version though.

Anybody want to join me on the 67 mile girls version? I think Fatdoc did this last year so he should be persuadable...

yah..

i'm on for the lickle one...  you'll piss it Tim. honest. I'd be surprised if you get out of the big ring.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#1634 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
November 06, 2008, 01:49:22 pm
OMG

i just saw the route map (fatkid entered me whilst I was abroad last week) for the 67 cat, it's got the killer hill in it and it's much much harder than last years jaunt.

i'm bricking it.

oh god.....  :'(

squeek

• junky
#1635 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
November 06, 2008, 01:52:49 pm
i would like to make a rant about the shitty state of britain's shitty fucking roads.
i managed to put a hip sized hole in a pair of assos shorts this morning due to the road being awash with petrol. i also now have a hip sized patch of road rash all over my hip.

on another note im buying more lights - i felt really exposed out there today, any ideas?
i think i will have a few more flashers on the back, on the front i want a powerful bastard to line up next to my flasher, 50 - 60 quids to spend - ideally i want one of them ones with a separate battery pack so most of the bulk isnt on my bars.
cheers

But if the road is covered in petrol you probably want the surface less smooth so you have less chance of your wheels slipping?

My new front light is good, very bright, I can give you a demo if you want, but I got it more for MTBing so it may be a bit overkill for only a road bike.  It was £160 though.

If you promise to go slow, ie my fastest pace, we could go out for a night ride if you wanted sometime?

tlr

• forum abuser
    • Myportfolio
#1636 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
November 06, 2008, 02:43:04 pm
OMG

i just saw the route map (fatkid entered me whilst I was abroad last week) for the 67 cat, it's got the killer hill in it and it's much much harder than last years jaunt.

i'm bricking it.

Just signed up for this then, something to keep the miles going over the winter.

The website mentions a Peak Sportive on 24th October.

fatkid2000

• junky
#1637 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
November 06, 2008, 03:54:52 pm
OMG

i'm bricking it.

Woops - forgot to mention that bit.  :lol:

fatkid2000

• junky
#1638 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
November 06, 2008, 03:59:37 pm
I'm also going to buy one of them Garmin 705 bike / sat nav things so I can't get lost again. Knowing my luck it'll probably break and I'll still get lost on the way.

Yossarian

• forum hero
#1639 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
November 06, 2008, 05:15:20 pm
i just discovered them. well, last night. that's my xmas present sorted then.

and the power meter compatability is amazing! i've been holding off for something that does everything.

now the question is powertap or cinqo....

fatkid2000

• junky
#1640 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
November 06, 2008, 05:19:55 pm
Yossarian have you seen one in action - the reviews seem mixed & it seems a huge out-lay for something you know will be bettered in 6 months time. I know that's the thing with technology but its over £400 to get the all singing dancing one.

Yossarian

• forum hero
#1641 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
November 06, 2008, 05:26:58 pm
erm no.

i've held off buying anything like this because (a) i already have a venerable polar computer (b) vaguely wanted a power meter, but am not really good enough to justify it, and they don't do a lot besides power (c) thought that one day something would come out that would be really good.

this looks like that thing.  the reviews i've read sound pretty good. apart from battery life (15hrs?) and a crap manual (who reads the manual?) what's not to like? apart from the price.

the navi thing is quite a nice touch, but what i really want is something that can be swapped from bike to bike, does accurate speed / altitude / cadence, etc, has the option of measuring power accurately without too much fuss, and then does some cool stuff like synching with a computer to make nice wiggly lines of where i've been, flag down passing spaceships and storing brothel locations as waypoints.

i'm sure a better one will come out, but i think it's still a major step forward from anything that anyone's produced before.

Yossarian

• forum hero
#1642 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
November 06, 2008, 05:39:01 pm
sorry, so who's entering which distance in the Cat?

i am tempted by the longer one, but only because i'm sitting in a very comfortable (virtual) armchair and it is some months away...

fatkid2000

• junky
#1643 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
November 06, 2008, 05:48:15 pm
Fatdoc has been entered for the 67 mile effort, with Mow Cop, I was going to enter him for the 102 mile one but thought better of it, as I'm of to Spain with him in Feb & in case I need another reference.

I'm doing the 102 mile one - couple of guys not on here are doing the 102 one as well.

Go on you know you want to, I expect Percy & Tir will enter, and maybe we can all persuade Norton to don the lycra for some road action.

tlr

• forum abuser
    • Myportfolio
#1644 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
November 06, 2008, 06:07:54 pm
Yup, I've signed up for the 66 miler. Too early in the year to do 100 miles in my book. There's bouldering and skiing to be done.

Good luck with Norton....

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#1645 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
November 06, 2008, 07:29:59 pm
I'm in for the 66 mile one (although once you've entered it says its 67 miles. I'm not sure about that last mile....!) Sounds like a much more 'interesting' route than last year. It could be worth hanging around on top of Mow Cop just to witness Fatdoc on the killer mile of 1 in 4! (not really, FD - you'll piss it :kiss2:) Any sign of route profile anywhere?

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#1646 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
November 06, 2008, 07:31:33 pm
I think we should all chip in for an extra entry for Norton..... I would like to witness Nortons final outing as a closet roadie at The Cat

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#1647 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
November 06, 2008, 07:49:19 pm
and you or the Kid will have a bike to fit him.....

chappers

• forum hero
#1648 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
November 06, 2008, 08:03:41 pm
oi oi. myself and a few others are doing the 102.

light wise what do those in the know think about this?
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=30160

also - who here knows how powerful a lumen is? i want a chart showing me distance and how far the lumens will light up?
will that one be good enough for a night time road ride on country lanes as well as making car drivers aware of my presence?

ta.

btw - some top fell off here is sending me some speedplay pedals for free! amazing - what a legend!

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#1649 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
November 06, 2008, 08:15:23 pm
Indeed I do. Norton can borrow my track bike. The fixed 90" gear should be a revelation for his short levers ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal