UKBouldering.com

Leg shavers anonymous (Read 573806 times)

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#1525 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
August 05, 2008, 10:34:51 am
Bloody hell - I'm still a way of fatkids pace up Froggatt hill - currently only manage it in around 17 minutes. However, I reckon once I can get out and train a bit it should come down a fair bit. In a perfect world I'd like to be riding up there in about 15 mins before we head of to the alps later on in September, but I think thats a pretty tall order in 6 weeks given the restricted bike time currently available!

The grumpy tosser I met wasn't wearing CSC kit - some old skool Italian team strip (I don't remember which). He didn't have a lid on either which is something I still find wierd. I wouldn't consider riding anywhere at any sort of speed without one. The only time mine comes off is on long climbs in the summer (where speed is around 10mph) for fear of heatstroke! Then I just hook it over the stem of my bars (another advantage of Shimano is that the gear cables make a great cadle to hold your lid) and then put it back on as soon as speed picks up again. Having crashed more than once in my life, I can asure you that shortly after your shoulder hits the road and you collar bone breaks the next thing that hits the road is your swede and it just ain't worth the risk of not wearing one. You wouldn't ride a mountain bike wihout one, yet most off-road trails provide a softer landing than tarmac. I don't care how much of a cock I look in one, or how hot it gets - a helmet is an essential piece of equipment for roadies.

Good luck to all the old roadies who still don't wear them - that Rapha team cap will do a wonderful job of keeping your brains in!

fatkid2000

• junky
#1526 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
August 05, 2008, 08:37:06 pm
Well another promising Italian has been playing with the same EPO as Ricco. Remember his climbing in the Giro - when he twice on 2 days running pulled away from the field -now the truth is out.

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/emmanuele-sella-positive-for-epo-17903

My hill climbing is get better - probably helped by losing half a stone, despite eating like a pig last week: My mum came to visit and she always insists on feeding me.

The only time for a rapha cap is in a cafe when your hair looks shit & is full of flies or under a helmet when its a touch chilly.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#1527 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
August 05, 2008, 11:51:24 pm
so, you on epo then fatkid?

webbo

• forum hero
#1528 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
August 06, 2008, 08:50:05 am
maybe you quacks could set your selves up as medical adviser's to the  ukbouldering professional road cycling team.which of course wouldn't need any pharmaceutical help to be competitive. ;)

Plattsy

• forum hero
#1529 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
August 07, 2008, 01:52:27 pm
It's not Cadels year is it. First runner up in the tour and now out of the Olympics time trial. Wet floor equals too much  :beer2:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympics/cycling/7534236.stm

webbo

• forum hero
#1530 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
August 07, 2008, 02:42:04 pm
all rumours see
http//www.cycling weekly.co.uk/news/evans_dismiss_olympics_injury_rumour_article_264396.html
he's part of the free tibet movement so maybe the chinese are waging a dirty tricks campain against him.

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#1531 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
August 10, 2008, 11:36:42 am
Nice to see Nicole Cooke opening British cyclings medal account with a gold in this mornings road race. An awesome effort!

fatkid2000

• junky
#1532 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
August 11, 2008, 01:05:46 pm
Nice to see Nicole Cooke opening British cyclings medal account with a gold in this mornings road race. An awesome effort!

Must have been like riding in a hot bath - awesome effort indeed!!!

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#1533 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
August 13, 2008, 06:37:07 pm
Right - I know Mr Picalli might be keen for a sesh, as is anybody else in south east France from the 5th to the 20th Sept. I'm heading down that way via Font and plan to take my bike up a few classic col's. In particular I'm very excited about trying Col de la Bonette and Alp d'Huez to name but two of the highest on my list..... If anybody else is around the alps mid sept and wants to hook up for some serious pain, let me know!

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#1534 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
August 22, 2008, 07:14:14 pm
With all this mountain bike nonsense going around at the moment, may I just remind people that the weather tommorrow looks mint for road biking for those like myself who are currently too injured to climb! If anybodies keen for a couple of hours spin round the peak I'm heading out for a do in the morning...

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#1535 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
August 22, 2008, 09:31:17 pm
just tell me the budget for the MTB and your voyage will
Be complete

tlr

• forum abuser
  • tim-russon.myportfolio Instagram tim_russon
    • Myportfolio
#1536 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
August 23, 2008, 04:36:48 pm
Percy, you really should get a mountain bike. Watching Fatdoc break things is a fine way to spend a Sunday morning!

I haven't forsaken the Darkside - I cycled down to my parents and back Friday evening/Satday morning, 100km each way down through the Peak and back. Wasn't my quickest ascent of Froggatt Hill! Otherwise I would have joined you this morning. we could maybe have a quick spin next Saturday before the wedding?

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#1537 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
August 23, 2008, 07:03:26 pm
Could well be up for that Tim, as it could be a fine alternative to the other pre-wedding activities which would appear to be an appointment with Rays Roof -  I don't want to bleed on my posh clothes! Awesome riding conditions this morning (dry, very little wind and not too hot) - almost like a summers day which makes a very welcome change.

Fatdoc is still working on me with regards to impending MTB purchasing, but I am holding out manfully........the thought of watching the doc breaking expensive machinery/himself does have a strange allure though ;D

chappers

• forum hero
#1538 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
August 26, 2008, 06:54:06 pm
can i just say that i love paul hewitts bike shop. a top quality place to spend money.
every other shop told me that i would need to buy a new wheel, paul however is going to re-build it for me   :thumbsup:

fatkid2000

• junky
#1539 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
August 28, 2008, 06:00:10 pm
Well something happened to the steering on my Wilier on the way home this week - not sure what. However the result has been new headset, bottom bracket bearings, cables and a few other bits & pieces to bring the repair bill to £150. So its 18 months old and thats the total of my maintenance costs.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#1540 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
August 28, 2008, 06:45:20 pm
same happened to me on the cheshire cat.....

fine now, there again i do commute on it twice a week, summer and winter
 :oops:

fatkid2000

• junky
#1541 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
August 29, 2008, 08:29:14 am
Well I took it to Racescene in Barnsley and they have worked wonders with my Wilier. Totally sorted - its made a massive difference to how the bike runs. I'd really recommend taking your bike up there for services if you're Sheffield based. Nice chaps who obviously know how to look after bikes - the chap who serviced told me the headset was totally f***ed, then again its done near to 3500 miles.

chappers

• forum hero
#1542 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
August 29, 2008, 09:09:20 am
my headset is also fucked. i am keeping it going by taking it apart regularly and filling it with grease. the main difference it has made to my steering is that i cant ride hands off - annoying when trying to remove a jacket.
i want to get a chris king, but how do i know it will fit my frame? (a kuota kharma). 

tlr

• forum abuser
  • tim-russon.myportfolio Instagram tim_russon
    • Myportfolio
#1543 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
August 29, 2008, 02:16:57 pm
Percy

Are you still on for a bit of a ride tomorrow morning? Or anybody else?

I'm thinking 9.30am for a couple of hours as I'll probably go mountain biking with the missus in the afternoon.

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#1544 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
August 29, 2008, 07:12:44 pm
Soz Tim but I can't get out then - I'm holding the baby for a few hours mid morning. I will go out for a ride but it'll either be for a quick pre wedding 90 mins at midday or, worst case scenario, Annie wakes up at 6am and I can sneak out of the house for a couple of hours whilst she holds Lucy down!

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#1545 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
August 29, 2008, 07:36:28 pm
riding on yr wedding day !

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#1546 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
August 29, 2008, 08:37:02 pm
Not mine, you idiot! Sam and Lucindas wedding is tomorrow afternoon. As if I would.....

fatkid2000

• junky
#1547 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
September 01, 2008, 12:22:36 pm

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#1548 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
September 01, 2008, 01:05:10 pm
OMG

it actually works

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#1549 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
September 01, 2008, 07:06:47 pm
Off to France on Friday for bouldering/biking mission with the girls. Looks like time will be split between camping at Bourg d'Oisans and Annot....this should give plenty of scope for climbing and riding some of the most famous tour climbs on my 'rest' days. Straight our of the campsite we have Alp d'Huez (14.5kms at Av. 8% gradient), Deux Alpes (12kms at av 7.75%), Col de la Croix de Fer (31.6kms at av.5.4%), as well as the Galibier, Col du Glandon, etc, etc..... I'm sooo psyched - I guarantee this will only last until I get there, see the first 13% ramp on Alp d'Huez and then scuttle off to the nearest cafe for a sit down.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal