UKBouldering.com

Leg shavers anonymous (Read 573477 times)

chappers

• forum hero
#1325 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
June 12, 2008, 04:44:48 pm
what do people think to these? i am going to save up for a new wheel set for my kuota.

(went out for my first ride in a long time - following the death of my closest friend who i had always ridden with leading to a lay off for quite a while, and had a great time. i rode with the ribble valley club, we did just shy of 100 miles, from preston out to dent and back, a really friendly group of people).

oops, i meant to link these DTswiss wheels. http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Cat=cycle&ProdID=5360029603&n=DT%20RR1850%20Wheel%20Set
(i dont think i will have to pay that price, i have seen them cheaper elsewhere).

fatkid2000

• junky
#1326 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
June 13, 2008, 05:31:37 pm
I've been participating in the dark arts of MTB over the past week - anybody up for a ride over the weekend?

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#1327 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
June 13, 2008, 06:32:55 pm
wife still damn huffing, though hopefully not for long!

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#1328 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
June 13, 2008, 06:50:18 pm
Bloody hell, Fatdoc....what's she playing at?!?! This child birth nonsense is interfering with your riding schedule, you know  ;)

I'm hoping to squeeze in a ride on the road this weekend , if anybody is keen. Still going steady after knee troubles, but building up the distance again...

Chappers - those wheels are heavy (1850 grams!) A pair of SL's will cost you a similar ammount but are a quarter of a kilo lighter. Just a thought....

fatkid2000

• junky
#1329 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
June 13, 2008, 07:56:59 pm

What the hell's she playing at? Are you sure she's actually pregnant? I may be going out on Sunday.

1800 is heavy. Get some Zipp CSCs only 1300g go like stink as well.

Joepicalli

• forum abuser
#1330 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
June 13, 2008, 10:27:02 pm
Thanks for all the wheel help, but wound up getting some Campag Protons with a shimano thingy for the cassette. They were heavily discounted, are dead light and me and them are going for a ride tomorrow morning.  :bounce:

Joepicalli

• forum abuser
#1331 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
June 14, 2008, 03:06:10 pm
Light sexy wheels are cheating, (cheating is good) :thumbsup:

jpx

#1332 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
June 14, 2008, 09:19:10 pm
I had a feel of a Planet X superlight carbon today, it was a beatiful bike, light as a feather. The girl riding it wasn't half bad either, said she was trying out a triathlon route  :bow:

fatkid2000

• junky
#1333 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
June 15, 2008, 10:51:36 am
Is the Froggart Hill Challenge still going. I've been off the bike for ten days but managed it in 14 min 20 secs. Slower than my previous effort but I had done 60 Kms by the time I got to it.

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#1334 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
June 15, 2008, 12:50:03 pm
The challenge is never-ending Fatkid..... you just keep trying to beat your best time for ever, and ever, and ever.....

I forgot about Dubdom's query about the tubs/clinchers issue - I use both. Clinchers are great, easy to fix punctures in, etc, etc, and I use clinchers most of the time to train on BUT the carbon rims I've got with Tufo tubs (that I save for special occasions, time trials, etc) are just superb - sooooo quick and they sound great too. Also, if you puncture (I've not yet managed to puncture my tubs yet...) you can repair them dead easy - just pop the middle of the valve out, squirt in a spot of tub sealer, put the valve core back in and reinflate - jobs a good'un! Adventages of tubs include the fact that you can ride them flat, so if you do have a blowout at speed you're much less likely to crash than you are on clinchers! And they are very quick (I think I mentioned this before)

Modern tubular tyres are much more resistant to punctures than they used to be - obviously if you shread one the jobs knackered but most punctures can be sealed with the tube of goo you get with some brands. They're not even that expensive any more (Conti's or Tufos are about the same as a posh clincher tyre) provided you shop around. Tufo even do a tubular tyre that fits on clincher rims (not tried these though)!

Tammy

#1335 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
June 15, 2008, 08:18:58 pm
I had a feel of a Planet X superlight carbon today, it was a beatiful bike, light as a feather. The girl riding it wasn't half bad either, said she was trying out a triathlon route  :bow:

Was this on the roads around Hathersage and Grindleford yesterday, and was it a bright pink bike? If so I know the lady you're talking about! She's single AFAIK, lovely girl but very shy, she'd be chuffed to bits that someone thinks she's 'not half bad!'  :)

fatkid2000

• junky
#1336 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
June 16, 2008, 07:23:07 am

Was this on the roads around Hathersage and Grindleford yesterday, and was it a bright pink bike? If so I know the lady you're talking about! She's single AFAIK, lovely girl but very shy, she'd be chuffed to bits that someone thinks she's 'not half bad!'  :)

Welcome to dating anonymous

Cookie

• regular
#1337 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
June 16, 2008, 08:49:10 am
Dead fit girls who go cycling anonymous!  :goodidea:

ETA or maybe, Dead fit birds who shave their legs

Simon S

• menacing presence
#1338 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
June 16, 2008, 11:32:48 am
Clinchers v tubs, well I use clinchers the majority of the time with vredestein fortezzas, they roll fast are cheap enough (£15 a pop) and are easy to get on and off the rim. The nice new carbon wheels however, have tubs which is not as easy but boy do they feel lively! And they are easier to repair with something like vittoria pitstop. As far as I can see the frequency that I get punctures these days I'll be wearing out tubs rather than having to get them repaired. Not that I'd bother with repairs since good tubs are only around the £20 mark.
Apprently if you prefer the ease of using tape to stick on tubs then tufo extreme is by far and a way the best.

fatkid2000

• junky
#1339 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
June 16, 2008, 09:09:26 pm
Think I've been on the moon recently - well Wales at any rate. Just found out that Tom Boonen has been done for using Coke - what an utter twat. He's been harping on about cleaning the sport up at pro-level and he gets done for that and for drink driving. Cocaine isn't on the WADA list of prohibited substance in out of competition testing, but in my mind the pro-tour riders need to be totally clean. He's been banned from the Le tour.

Should Contador be there with Astana - I've got mixed views on this, but he must have known the score when he signed up with them.

chappers

• forum hero
#1340 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
June 16, 2008, 10:43:48 pm
i just signed up for this  :(

http://www.sus8events.com/index.php

tlr

• forum abuser
  • tim-russon.myportfolio Instagram tim_russon
    • Myportfolio
#1341 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
June 19, 2008, 12:18:09 pm
Anybody up for a Sunday morning ride from Sheffield (Whirlow area)?

I don't really mind how far or where, I just need a bit of motivation to get out now the Fred Whitton and the White Rose are done and dusted.

Tim

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#1342 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
June 19, 2008, 12:36:33 pm
Keen, but availablity dependant on sprogging situation! I'll let you know Saturday....

SteveM

• stalker
  • I feel the need for speed
    • bad-altitude
#1343 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
June 19, 2008, 02:34:10 pm

:oops:

fatkid2000

• junky
#1344 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
June 19, 2008, 10:00:23 pm
I'll probably be up for a ride on Sunday a.m.

How would I know if I've cracked / trashed the carbon fork on my bike? The front end of the bike just doesn't sound right on bumpy sections of road. I can't see any cracks and I've checked everything else is tight and not rattling. Any advice much appreciated.

Anyone else seen that new Super Record group?

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#1345 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
June 20, 2008, 09:35:36 am
there have been issues with the Wilier forks, esp the more expensive one than you have, something to do with the glue bond on the steerer....

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#1346 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
June 20, 2008, 10:17:47 am
Always reassuring to know that your forks could break at any moment........  :o
Nice clip of Frank Schleck taking the ride over the armco at the Tour of Swiss, SteveM. Even more impressive was the fact that he got on a new bike and finished the stage with nothing more than a few cuts and bruises!
You not coming out on Sunday then, Fatdoc? You can join me in the slow lane if you like!

SteveM

• stalker
  • I feel the need for speed
    • bad-altitude
#1347 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
June 20, 2008, 10:29:16 am
And all just two minutes behind the leader. No wonder they take drugs   :bow:

tlr

• forum abuser
  • tim-russon.myportfolio Instagram tim_russon
    • Myportfolio
#1348 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
June 20, 2008, 11:25:07 am
Sundays Ride: how about 9.30 at the Whirlow Hall Crescent bus stop layby?

3 hour ride maybe involving a cafe and a cup of tea and then home in time for lunch?

I'll pm Percy and FK my mobile, Fatdoc should have it already. Actually, I'll send it to Fatdoc again anyway.

Maybe head down south so should be a tailwind home according to current forecast.

Tim

fatkid2000

• junky
#1349 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
June 20, 2008, 11:29:27 am
I'll need that cafe stop to firstly check my fork hasn't fallen apart and secondly because if I ride for more than two hours at the moment I need serious amounts of food.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal