UKBouldering.com

Leg shavers anonymous (Read 573624 times)

Dolly

• forum hero
#1275 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
June 03, 2008, 10:52:00 am
LOL. I must admit I hadn't thought of that.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#1276 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
June 03, 2008, 10:52:50 am
Fat Doc's increasing the tribe:  let's face it, kids can work @ 6 years no probs.  But what can a guy do when the next generation of extortionate pure hydrogen frames are probably only 4 years away?  Hope for twins?

Yossarian

• forum hero
#1277 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
June 03, 2008, 10:55:05 am
whilst i abhor the idea of posting links to the daily mail, i got sent this a minute ago and it's pretty unbelievable...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1023813/Pictured-Shocking-moment-drunk-driver-ploughed-group-cyclists.html

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#1278 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
June 03, 2008, 11:01:45 am
holy fucking shit.

I feel sick

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1279 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
June 03, 2008, 11:19:00 am
whilst i abhor the idea of posting links to the daily mail, i got sent this a minute ago and it's pretty unbelievable...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1023813/Pictured-Shocking-moment-drunk-driver-ploughed-group-cyclists.html

:o :jaw: Fortunate that only one person was killed

fatkid2000

• junky
#1280 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
June 03, 2008, 12:47:02 pm
Hope it all goes well Fatdoc, with the 4th kid.

This is where you are all going wrong, you'd have far more cash for bikes, if you didn't have kids.

I don't have any  :thumbsup: so more cash for bikes  :thumbsup:

Well I'm waiting for campag and SRAM to get their new stuff on the market, before I upgrade anything.
Percy I think you are right some  sort of support group for La bicicletta victims sounds a good plan.

Luckily I don't want a Ti Lynkskey frame, so will be able to avoid it when new bike time arrives.

fatkid2000

• junky
#1281 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
June 04, 2008, 07:58:39 pm
I told you so, 11 speed from Campag is on its way. And back to the glory days of racing with A Super Record group. Will Shimano play catch up?

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/campagnolo-moves-to-11-speed-16805

DubDom

• menacing presence
#1282 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
June 05, 2008, 09:44:14 pm
back to nutty hill climbing (I live in crookes!)
anyone checked out:

http://www.ocd.org.uk/

or heard of the Ordre des Cols Durs (!?)

anyone ridden

Ffordd Penllech??? in Harlech, Wales?

or http://deputy-dog.com/2007/09/18/the-steepest-streets-in-the-world/

fatkid2000

• junky
#1283 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
June 06, 2008, 09:38:57 am
Those are seriously steep. Not sure what the steepest roads round Sheffield are, but there are some pretty steep hills of 20% plus around Bradfield / Loxley which has become my new training ground - as its quiet, far less cars than the Peak proper.

Does anyone know where I can get new detachable velcros for the inner part of my helmet - they need replacing but can't find any at the usual online places?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#1284 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
June 06, 2008, 01:34:34 pm

Kent Road in S8 is very steep.

Bishopscourt Road nearby is pretty steep too.

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#1285 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
June 06, 2008, 06:14:09 pm

tlr

• forum abuser
  • tim-russon.myportfolio Instagram tim_russon
    • Myportfolio
#1286 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
June 06, 2008, 07:34:54 pm
I came down the hill past the Moon pub In Stoney the other night - seemed pretty steep, could be worth investigating as a climb. Has anybody done it?

White Rose Classic on Sunday. Forecast looks good so hopefully beat last years time.

fatkid2000

• junky
#1287 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
June 06, 2008, 08:19:03 pm
That book looks good Percy, may have to get a copy. Did you see my linkto Grenoble cycling, there website has maps a gradient profiles for lots of the major Alps Cols.

I came down the hill past the Moon pub In Stoney the other night - seemed pretty steep, could be worth investigating as a climb. Has anybody done it?

White Rose Classic on Sunday. Forecast looks good so hopefully beat last years time.

If its on High Street - then yes I've been up it. Its pretty steep. Another steep one is the road from Low to High Bradfield, went up it the other day, and its harsh!! I really rate the Bradfield area for training, went today and didn't see a car for an hour!!!

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#1288 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
June 06, 2008, 08:49:24 pm
A mate of mine (who rides now and then) lives in Dungworth - there's a few spicy hills over there. In general not as long and draggy as most of the hills in the Peak, but a lot steeper (and more painful). The title of that book should maybe read 'Fatkids honeymoon location recomendations' - get a copy for your missus!

Joepicalli

• forum abuser
#1289 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
June 06, 2008, 08:52:44 pm
Presumably all the hill freaks already know the the road opposite the Sir William in Grindleford, and the road off the b6001 after the turn-off signposted for the gliding club & Great Hucklow, both pretty killer IMFO (that's Fat). But nice cafe in Eyam :thumbsup:

fatkid2000

• junky
#1290 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
June 06, 2008, 09:53:13 pm
A mate of mine (who rides now and then) lives in Dungworth - there's a few spicy hills over there. In general not as long and draggy as most of the hills in the Peak, but a lot steeper (and more painful). The title of that book should maybe read 'Fatkids honeymoon location recomendations' - get a copy for your missus!

They are more painful I'll give you that - especially as I'm on 53/39 at the moment on the training bike. There are some pretty mean hills with switch backs in them as well.

I'm planning to do the L'etape next year, obviously without the other half, although she's a pretty good hill climber herself. She commutes to the Northern, only about five mins slower than me.

Dolly

• forum hero
#1291 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
June 06, 2008, 10:50:01 pm
The thing about alpine cols isn't how steep they are, its just how long the fookers go on for and how much pain/boredom you can withstand I reckon.
Doing the etape 2 years ago is what put me off roadie shit for over a year. Half way up the Izoard I thought its just fookin painful and hot and sweaty and it just not as much fun as climbing.
Local hills are different I reckon. They're relatively short, there's still a challenge and if you don't like it there's always something else to go at nearby.

Good luck in the White Rose Classic BTW. There's some great riding and that 25% section is something else. 

Palomides

• forum abuser
#1292 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
June 07, 2008, 08:36:01 am
Morning all,

Well, I've signed up for my first proper cyclosportive at the end of the month : the Montagnole course of the Ariegoise. I'll be the alarmingly pale man trying desperately to stay close to my faster missus.

I'm considering shaving my legs for this baptism, but I have a sensitive technical question - when shaving legs, where do you stop?

Should I stop neatly 2cm above the shortsline, to give that strange "hairy shorts when naked" look, or go a bit higher and stop just below the hip?

Please feel free to share your experience. Please do not feel free to post pictures.

Thanks.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#1293 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
June 07, 2008, 10:07:52 am
problem is with climbing roadies they get so ridiculed when out climbing that on one seems to do it, apart from Dolly on an etape year, but the lad's a freak  ;)

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#1294 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
June 07, 2008, 10:42:38 am
Leg shaving - after 65 pages of waffle we once again arrive at the topic of the thread! I've never done it, and don't know where the standard stoping point is. However, once you reach the shorts line, you might as well just keep going! (Although a good mate once told me that shaving his testicles was just about the worst idea he ever had. The itchiness when the hair grew back was almost intolerable, and caused him more than a few near-misses whilst driving and frantically scratching his knackers!) Many of the reasons given for leg-shaving are complete bollocks, although if you get an hour long massage after each ride it could be worth it, or if you crash a lot! I did actually find a very weak justification for shaving my legs the other day, having arrived back home after a 2 hour ride with loads of insects stuck in my leg hair. Most unpleasant, but not enough to join the shavers club!

Also, I have heard many bad stories about hair removal - people who have waxed and then been visited by a plague of boils all over their legs when their hair folicles get infected.

My advice is to go to a reputable roadie shop in the sumer when the staff are wearing shorts and check out how daft they look, then make your decision. This swung it for me!

Joepicalli

• forum abuser
#1295 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
June 07, 2008, 11:01:47 am
(Although a good mate once told me that shaving his testicles was just about the worst idea he ever had. The itchiness when the hair grew back was almost intolerable, and caused him more than a few near-misses whilst driving and frantically scratching his knackers!)
I cannot believe how much more information than I could possibly need this.

fatkid2000

• junky
#1296 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
June 07, 2008, 12:41:05 pm
Percy you seem to have alot of good knowledge of this subject - are you are not a closet shaver. :o

Yossarian

• forum hero
#1297 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
June 07, 2008, 12:53:19 pm
i have shaved on a number of occasions. purely in the interest of looking the part...

i decided that the hair shorts look was a no-no, and so shaved the whole of both legs, and nothing but the legs, so help me god.

i tried that elite hair removing stuff once. it didn't work very well. i also accidentally squirted in my face, and it ate into one of the lenses in a very fine pair of cutler and gross glasses.

no horrible tales of boils or itching i'm afraid.

chicks seem to quite like it too...

tlr

• forum abuser
  • tim-russon.myportfolio Instagram tim_russon
    • Myportfolio
#1298 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
June 07, 2008, 02:03:57 pm
I remember Joe Le Sausage telling me once that getting into a bed with fresh, ironed sheets with freshly shaved legs was a beautiful thing, and it seems, was his main reason for doing it.

He didn't mention whether he was alone in the aforementioned bed, or indeed whether he had a bike or not.

And I don't shave my legs.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1299 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
June 07, 2008, 02:07:46 pm
I remember Joe Le Sausage telling me once that getting into a bed with fresh, ironed sheets with freshly shaved legs was a beautiful thing, and it seems, was his main reason for doing it.

He didn't mention whether he was alone in the aforementioned bed, or indeed whether he had a bike or not.

Maybe they were someone else's freshly shaved legs?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal