UKBouldering.com

Leg shavers anonymous (Read 573620 times)

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#1250 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
June 02, 2008, 08:23:17 am
Got a spare Ultegra compact chainset if you need that instead, Joe! I'm not sure the frame in Fatkids link is the same one as the Planet X Ti frame - I think the Planet X frame is one made specially for them and has slightly sportier geometry than the one in the link (although the price of £1600 for just the frame gives an idea of what a bargain the PX bike is!)

Dave (the guy who owns Planet X) is a good mate of Ben Moons, and will happily style you if he knows you're a sheffield based climber. I avoided paying carriage on my carbon SL by getting Dave to drop it into the wall on his way home.

Joe - a titanium frame is just what you need for the alps.... :devangel:....but maybe upgrading is the cheaper option

Joepicalli

• forum abuser
#1251 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
June 02, 2008, 08:54:02 am
Will you bastards stop tempting me, its not fair; you know I have all the self-control of an un-houstrained newfoundland puppy.

fatkid2000

• junky
#1252 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
June 02, 2008, 10:36:15 am
Will you bastards stop tempting me, its not fair; you know I have all the self-control of an un-houstrained newfoundland puppy.

What's needed here is a touch of fatdoc's bike buying justification, to allow hid credit card to flex!! He was telling me that in a year the savings he's made from cycling to work have paid for his carbon wilier. £40 quid a week in petrol say you go to work 40 weeks per year when you can cycle - there you are £1600 - yours to spend on that nice new Lynskey, sorry I mean Planet X bike. I'm not so sure , but it does make you think, and I only fill my car up once a month or so usually

Joepicalli

• forum abuser
#1253 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
June 02, 2008, 11:17:04 am

What's needed here is a touch of fatdoc's bike buying justification, to allow hid credit card to flex!! He was telling me that in a year the savings he's made from cycling to work have paid for his carbon wilier. £40 quid a week in petrol say you go to work 40 weeks per year when you can cycle - there you are £1600 - yours to spend on that nice new Lynskey, sorry I mean Planet X bike. I'm not so sure , but it does make you think, and I only fill my car up once a month or so usually
Whats needed is a fingers-in-ears-"la, la, la I'm not listening emoticon". AS there isn't one I shall have to do this :wall: while repeating Ti frames are crap and I don't want one- repeatedly.

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#1254 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
June 02, 2008, 11:42:01 am
Whats needed is a fingers-in-ears-"la, la, la I'm not listening emoticon". AS there isn't one I shall have to do this :wall: while repeating Ti frames are crap and I don't want one- repeatedly.

Quite right, Joe. Ti frames are crap - so its a good job Planet X do a fantastic offer on CARBON frames as well (even lighter, cheaper and very quick...) :whistle:

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#1255 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
June 02, 2008, 12:40:16 pm
Look.

You've mentally spent the money now.

Please, please please..

dont do a *Dolly*

go and SIT on it, and get it FITTED

for £2k bicicletta will fully sort you out, pander to you, faun over you... and the bike will actually fit.

go there.

today.

now.

BTW, you'll have to make an appt...

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#1256 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
June 02, 2008, 01:13:16 pm

fatdoc returns from the bike shop "I only went in for a bottle"
[/quote]

Fatdoc, you reminded me of this classic from the "That's you, that is" thread.

Many a true word is spoken in jest....... ;D

Dolly

• forum hero
#1257 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
June 02, 2008, 01:34:09 pm
Just come back from making an appointment for a fitting next Monday. I mentioned your name Percy.
They got me to pick up one of the Lynksey Ti frames. OMG they are beautiful and so so light.
No decisions made until I hear  what they say next week.............. 

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#1258 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
June 02, 2008, 01:46:23 pm
Just come back from making an appointment for a fitting next Monday. I mentioned your name Percy.
They got me to pick up one of the Lynksey Ti frames. OMG they are beautiful and so so light.
No decisions made until I hear  what they say next week.............. 

You picked something up? :o

I forgot to mention that - never touch anything in there....that's how it starts! I touched something in there once, and in no time at all we were living in a box down by the canal eating out of the skips behind Maccy D's (but my bike is very light...)

fatkid2000

• junky
#1259 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
June 02, 2008, 02:39:29 pm
Thats it Dolly - time to re-mortgage your house - last time I went in La Bicicletta they had an £8k plus Lynksey frame built up, looked amazing. Percy is right once you touch something in there thats it, and if its abit heavy they will then show you something with more carbon and Ti to get the weight down - and get those devilish electronic scales out.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#1260 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
June 02, 2008, 04:13:29 pm
Dolly.

you're fucked.
 :devangel:

Dolly

• forum hero
#1261 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
June 02, 2008, 04:29:00 pm
I need to sell my Bianchi frame TBH.
Seriously, there's no way I will spend £1800 on a frame (no forks) when I can get frame and forks from Planet X for £1100 made by the same people.

I still hold out a slight hope that all will be well and they'll tell me that my frame is in fact OK, I just need a different stem or summat....

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#1262 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
June 02, 2008, 07:35:52 pm
 :greed:

As I said....

chappers

• forum hero
#1263 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
June 02, 2008, 09:20:53 pm
 :lol:

i am loving this. this month i have had to do some serious maths to get myself out of financial turmoil caused by bike buying.  :oops:

Dolly.

you're fucked.
 :devangel:

fatkid2000

• junky
#1264 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
June 02, 2008, 09:56:29 pm
And Dolly , here's the new groupset to put on your lovely new frame, well if you use Shimano.

http://www.roadcyclinguk.com/news/article/mps/uan/3259  :-\

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#1265 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
June 02, 2008, 10:12:24 pm
now that's BAD
esp as they now have their own powerlink system.

I just wiggled myself some waterproof gloves for the MTB, welcome to summer  >:(

fatkid2000

• junky
#1266 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
June 02, 2008, 10:20:13 pm
Word on the street is that Campag Record will go to eleven speed cassette  :-\

Dolly

• forum hero
#1267 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
June 02, 2008, 10:27:13 pm
And Dolly , here's the new groupset to put on your lovely new frame, well if you use Shimano.

http://www.roadcyclinguk.com/news/article/mps/uan/3259 

It does look beautiful doesn't it ? Mind you no compact in Dura Ace as its only meant for hardcore racers, so I don't need to worry about that. Don't campag use carbon levers/shifters in Chorus already ?

Just one more thing while we're on the subject of groupsets. I loved the way in La Bicicleta today that there was apparently nothing in the shop, then one of the guys opened a big flat drawer that looked like it should contain jewels, with lots of lovely groupset components laid out on a foam backdrop. Let me touch the precious things.....

fatkid2000

• junky
#1268 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
June 03, 2008, 07:31:57 am
Dura-Ace is coming in a compact version 50/34 see the link above.

I've got 2008 Campag Centeur on one of my bikes and has carbon shifters/levers and cranks. The only difference between it and Chorus is about 250g of extra weight.

Dolly - you're falling for la bicicleta - time to think of how to finance this new machine.  :thumbsup:

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#1269 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
June 03, 2008, 08:42:37 am
Could to see your prediction regarding flooded roads in Shefield this summer was acurate, Fatkid! Jets of water a foot high coming out of manhole covers this morning on my way to work! Aaahhh, the great british summer.

By the way, I'm thinking of starting a bankrupt legshavers thread for all the poor unfortunates who have recently visited La Bicicleta.......! Did you see the built-up Lynskey they have in there? 7 grand please :o

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#1270 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
June 03, 2008, 09:00:42 am
here come the June floods.....

bit gripped..... wife in early labour so might have to walk her to the hosser if it gets real bad  :o

having said that she's been like this fir 48hrs now  :o :o :o

Right:

11 speed you say?. God.

I cannt have an out of date groupset that's plain damn wrong.

Damn.
 :'(

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#1271 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
June 03, 2008, 09:42:56 am
Good news, FD - here comes number 4! Rain easing off now, so all good for leisurely drive over to the Jessops later on I reckon without the need for wading....good luck everybody!

Other than the fact that FD will defo be the first roadie I know with an 11 speed casette on his bike (its a given, surely?!?!) I like the fact that the new Dura Ace cassettes have a much better selection of ratios - I've wanted a shimano compatible 25-11 for ages now, and at last its a reality! Where's my credit card? (They also have a 27-11 - just whats required for sportives like the F Whitton if you've got a compact already - spin uphill and not be too undergeared on the downhills) :thumbsup: Faster, faster...

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#1272 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
June 03, 2008, 09:53:11 am
but it's shimano

i simply dont do the big *S*

looks good though!

Dolly

• forum hero
#1273 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
June 03, 2008, 10:21:42 am
Good luck FD :)
Not sure there's that much difference between the c and the s TBH.
I've got a 11-27 ( I think) Shimano which I needed for the Etape (on a compact) and I think a 12-28 campy on my winter bike on a 39.

I didn't see the built up Lynksey TBH - just as well really, thats about the budget if we need a new bigger Dad van later in the year. No 3 is on the way......

Joepicalli

• forum abuser
#1274 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
June 03, 2008, 10:37:21 am
Good luck with the new sprog FD.
Please tell me everyone I'm not the first to get the the homage that Campag are paying to "Spinal Tap"- "These go up to eleven"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal