UKBouldering.com

Leg shavers anonymous (Read 573752 times)

fatkid2000

• junky
#1225 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 30, 2008, 02:22:40 pm
Sounds alright - but PFI - That'll mean it will cost a bomb over the years.

3 fucking years to appoint a contractor - what the hell are they going to do? Each lay abit of road, and the one that last the longest wins the contract.

I also like the bit about Sheffield labour - in other words we'll sort the roads out in the areas that vote labour and tough shit if you may vote Lib Dem or Tory!!!

It all sounds good but I bet it won't make any difference. .

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1226 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 30, 2008, 02:32:01 pm
Good find Jasper, I thought Percy's £66million sounded a bit low, but couldn't find the story in under five minutes so gave up.

It'll be like painting the Fourth Bridge, by the time they've finished they'll be starting again.

Then you've got the fuck-wit planning on road works.  Take Division Street as a prime example, resurfaced and paved/bricked out all nice, they then spend the next two or three years digging it up over and over again to lay new pipes for heating (I think), gas, electricity etc.  all done separately by each contractor, relaying the road (in a fucking state compared to what it used to be).  It would be far too sensible for the Council to say "Right come on you lot of utilities companies, we've got one set of people wanting to dig this road up, before they start you've got a three month window to let us know if you want to do stuff there.  That way you all save and share on the cost of digging up the road and relaying it, and we don't piss off people with continuous road works.  If you miss this window you'll have to wait another five years before you can improve anything"  That would be far to sensible for anyone in town planning to work out.

It really bugs me that they spend money putting fucking speed humps/trap in, like you really need them anyway with the roads in the state they are in.

Not sure about this Labour/non-Labour divide either, I live in the Manor constituency which is (for better or worse) staunch Labour and the roads are as much a fucking state as anywhere else.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#1227 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 30, 2008, 02:39:20 pm
Yes our area is as Labour as it gets (Norfolk Park so I believe the constituency includes Park Hill etc) but the roads are shocking and getting worse. I can see that they'll use the excuse of the three year wait for the new scheme to start to do even less in the short term.

fatkid2000

• junky
#1228 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 30, 2008, 02:55:07 pm
To be fair I ride through the labour heart land areas going to work and the roads are just as bad as the SW Tory zone. I just want to know why its going to take 3 years to appoint a contractor - its not like they've got to design a building or anything, just re-surface just about every road in the city!!

On a brighter note the tool I need so I don't get lost on the next cyclo-sportive.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/accessories/gadgets/gps-devices/product/edge-705-31875

Looks awesome shame about the price!

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1229 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 30, 2008, 03:04:20 pm
This has reminded me of a most amusing site for anyone who cycles and uses the "Cycle Network" as it is dubiously dubbed....

Cycle Facility of the Month

May's current winner is...

then there are other classics such as Aprils

ultra-secure cycle racks courtesy of mother nature

end of the road

and whats the fucking point of this....

enjoy the rest at your leisure  :lol:

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#1230 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 30, 2008, 07:32:10 pm
Fatdoc - here's the link to watch the penultimate stage of the Giro tomorrow

http://www.cyclingfans.com/giro_d_italia_player.html

The video is from Norwegian TV and the audio is the Eurosport comentary in english (and southern irish drawl from Sean Kelly!) Just mute the volume on the video player and it works quite well. Also note that the meat of tomorrows racing (taking in the infamous passo Gavia and then finishing up the mortirolo) will be live from around 2 or 3 pm onwards. Tune in before this and you watch norwegian childrens telly with english tennis commentary (which I quite enjoy, in a funny sort of way...)

fatkid2000

• junky
#1231 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 30, 2008, 07:56:50 pm
Its on euro-sport for a whole hour and half - but it will probably be less as they keep putting the flaming French Open Tennis on instead, even when the giro is scheduled to be on.

Simon S

• menacing presence
#1232 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 30, 2008, 10:09:23 pm
I trust you guys saw todays stage (Friday).....absolutely awesome, Di Luca rode like a champion even if he doesn't actualy win it was exciting to see some real fireworks in the last 40km.  :thumbsup:

Can't wait to see tomorrows stage.  :)

fatkid2000

• junky
#1233 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 31, 2008, 04:21:56 pm
How smooth are those Italian Roads, not a pot-hole in sight!!!

Dolly

• forum hero
#1234 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 31, 2008, 11:24:01 pm
I've just returned from a week of Italian road heaven. I rode everyday on mainly quiet roads, great climbs, perfect weather and a real local love of all that roadie stuff. I was staying in Cattolica in Emiglia Romagna so great food, albeit a bit touristy, but once you get off the beaten track its great. I did a ride with a local one day and at a roundabout when we'd come down off the hills he just rode out into the traffic, stuck his hand out and nodded at the oncoming traffic. No one batted an eyelid, just waved us on. Not often that happens here. Same ride, went into a bar for a coffee and a snack, sweating like a pig when the lovely lady who was serving put her arm round me, asked me if I was tired and wanted some fresh water, gave me a sandwich and sent me on my way. God I love Italy.

Have a look at www.italybikehotels.it if you like that sort of stuff. I've stayed at a few in Emiglia Romagna and Liguria over the years and its a great holiday if you've got family.
Pretty much every day I rode to another picture postcard perfect 13th century walled town where I was warmly received.
I've got loads of miles in my legs but added weight because of the food :) As I told fatdoc I'm fitter but fatter.

Bad news is that my beautiful handmade Bianchi Ti frame is too small for me. I'll need to to get something a bit bigger. It rides like a dream, but its just not the right size. I'm 5 11 and a lanky fook and its a 57cm frame. Let me know if you're interested otherwise it goes in the comic next week.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#1235 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
June 01, 2008, 08:42:58 am
off to bicicletta to get properly measured next week then matey???

those hols look top notch....

fatkid2000

• junky
#1236 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
June 01, 2008, 05:40:45 pm
Dolly - I ride a 56cm Ti frame ( A Sunday) probably not as nice as your Bianchi - I'm 5 11 as well so I'm surprised that your bike is too small.

That holiday looks awesome - maybe next year. Did you see any of the Giro?

Anyone else think that they need Alberto Contador to ride the Le Tour - after his win today at the Giro???

Dolly

• forum hero
#1237 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
June 01, 2008, 06:34:02 pm
The reason I think its too small is that I need 4 spacers on the bars, the standard length seatpost is about an inch out above its safety mark and it just looks wrong - ie everything looks too high to be right  - if you know what I mean.
I need to get someone who knows about these things to give me some advice really - I'll probably go to Bicicletta TBH as FD suggests

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#1238 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
June 01, 2008, 06:45:31 pm
Does sound a bit small...you got a long stem on it too? The bicicleta boys will sort you out - leave your credit card at home if you want to play safe. The Lynskey Ti frames in there are nice  :whistle:

Joepicalli

• forum abuser
#1239 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
June 01, 2008, 08:03:54 pm
I did a ride with a local one day and at a roundabout when we'd come down off the hills he just rode out into the traffic, stuck his hand out and nodded at the oncoming traffic. No one batted an eyelid, just waved us on. Not often that happens here. Same ride, went into a bar for a coffee and a snack, sweating like a pig when the lovely lady who was serving put her arm round me, asked me if I was tired and wanted some fresh water, gave me a sandwich and sent me on my way. God I love Italy.

Yeah Its funny how the lunatic driving nations have such a reverence for cyclists. It was the same for me in France; riding on the Cote d'Azure, on the coast road, at rush hour: I thought I was being really brave; but no, motorists practically crashed into each other to give me space. Later in the holiday I rode over into Italy and the same again- masses of courtesy. I guess its the fact that there is a whole culture of cycling over there that we just don't have.

Dolly

• forum hero
#1240 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
June 01, 2008, 08:15:41 pm
Does sound a bit small...you got a long stem on it too? The bicicleta boys will sort you out - leave your credit card at home if you want to play safe. The Lynskey Ti frames in there are nice 

Longish- and its at upward angle as well.
Those Planet X frames you mentioned the other day look interesting though and if I read it write are made by the Lynskey lot as well ?

Dolly

• forum hero
#1241 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
June 01, 2008, 08:24:41 pm
Yeah Its funny how the lunatic driving nations have such a reverence for cyclists. It was the same for me in France; riding on the Cote d'Azure, on the coast road, at rush hour: I thought I was being really brave; but no, motorists practically crashed into each other to give me space. Later in the holiday I rode over into Italy and the same again- masses of courtesy. I guess its the fact that there is a whole culture of cycling over there that we just don't have.
Spot on I reckon. There was a piece in The Times yesterday (or maybe The Telegraph last week - not that I advocate The Telegraph you understand, just that it was free in the hotel last week) about how although cycling is one of the most popular sports in the country in terms of participation, there's no mass appreciation.
That and the fact the roads are so crowded here and British motorists/British Culture are/is just so bloody aggressive.

I guess if you were to look back at the history of the sport, not that I know that much BTW, it would be because of the UK time trialling thing as opposed to road racing ?

Joepicalli

• forum abuser
#1242 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
June 01, 2008, 08:38:25 pm

[/quote] Spot on I reckon. There was a piece in The Times yesterday (or maybe The Telegraph last week - not that I advocate The Telegraph you understand, just that it was free in the hotel last week) about how although cycling is one of the most popular sports in the country in terms of participation, there's no mass appreciation.
That and the fact the roads are so crowded here and British motorists/British Culture are/is just so bloody aggressive.

I guess if you were to look back at the history of the sport, not that I know that much BTW, it would be because of the UK time trialling thing as opposed to road racing ?

[/quote]
I have a suspicion that the whole time trialling thing came about because very early on local authorities all over Britain banned en-mass road races. Instead hard northern lads slipped out of the cafes at timed intervals and just shrugged their shoulders when stopped by the Plod: "Really officer, the 60th cyclist along this road, in as many minutes? Well that is strange. I'll be on my way then...You don't happen to know... to the nearest hundredth of a second how long you've had me stopped... No, yes well I'll be off before you arrest me then.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#1243 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
June 01, 2008, 08:39:40 pm
RE Doll's point of cycling culture/respect given to cyclists.

Not only biking but mopeds too, which are hugely popular as first forms of personal transport.  Italians are more likely to know that unprotected feeling than Brits & I'm guessing this is where the respect comes in.  Their weather makes biking hugely enjoyable, more so than car travel and searing seat leather.. .  Rather have the wind in my Fred Perry and my ass on a Lambretta myself too.

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#1244 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
June 01, 2008, 09:21:31 pm

Those Planet X frames you mentioned the other day look interesting though and if I read it write are made by the Lynskey lot as well ?

http://www.planet-x-warehouse.co.uk/?p=1319

£1599 for a dura ace equipped Lynskey?  :o

fatkid2000

• junky
#1245 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
June 01, 2008, 10:00:18 pm

Bargain!  http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/frames/touring/product/titanium-custom-randonneuring-frame-31340

Got to agree with the above. I've ridden in Spain & France - car drivers are bonkers but they treat cyclists like Gods. According to an Italian mate, in Italy footie is the biggest sport followed by cycling. In Gazetta della Sporta last week there was 5 pages a day dedicated to the Giro, whereas in The Sunday Times today there wasn't a single word about the second biggest grand tour of the year
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 10:11:08 pm by fatkid2000 »

Joepicalli

• forum abuser
#1246 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
June 01, 2008, 10:01:57 pm

http://www.planet-x-warehouse.co.uk/?p=1319

£1599 for a dura ace equipped Lynskey?  :o
Perce Don't fuckin' do this to me.

Dolly

• forum hero
#1247 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
June 01, 2008, 11:08:30 pm
You know he's right Joe - I will if you will.
I only need the frame mind as I've got a new Ultegra groupset I can use.
I've got an Ultegra 53 39 which I'll swap you for a couple of decent bottles if you fancy ?

Joepicalli

• forum abuser
#1248 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
June 01, 2008, 11:58:24 pm
You know he's right Joe - I will if you will.
I only need the frame mind as I've got a new Ultegra groupset I can use.
I've got an Ultegra 53 39 which I'll swap you for a couple of decent bottles if you fancy ?

Mate I'm running a 50 34 and still dying on the peak steep stuff. Plus I've recently sworn to my lovely little schwinn fastback that I'll never leave it until I've up graded its wheels from the tractor parts it currently endures.

Dolly

• forum hero
#1249 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
June 02, 2008, 12:17:40 am
I can do you some good handbuilt wheels in to the bargain as well ? :)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal