UKBouldering.com

Leg shavers anonymous (Read 573473 times)

Yossarian

• forum hero
#1175 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 20, 2008, 10:10:59 pm
I'd have the Soloist R3 personally...

Quite like the Wilier Cento, though it don't think it's particularly beautiful.

Wouldn't mine a Litespeed Archon. My current ride is a Tuscany, and it's very nice thanks.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#1176 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 20, 2008, 10:24:56 pm
I watched a great program on the Specialized RR team here in the Reich few days ago.  Covered everything from the fat team-chef to the handmade C-bikes to training to med-checks and the races themselves.  It was a good program.

DubDom

• menacing presence
#1177 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 20, 2008, 11:16:44 pm
what about titanium?

Cookie

• regular
#1178 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 20, 2008, 11:24:34 pm
Litespeed make some superb titanium bikes which are almost affordable, not tried out any other makes yet (primarily because they're out of my price range and to do so would be potentially upsetting for my bank manager)

What are you looking for anyway?  Something specific?

DubDom

• menacing presence
#1179 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 20, 2008, 11:53:56 pm
I will replace my current bikes with a new one this summer, so I'm casting around for ideas. I'm not in any hurry though, need to save up a bit more cash.

Cookie

• regular
#1180 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 21, 2008, 12:02:46 am
Good idea to keep an eye out if you're not desperate for a new bike yet, as this year's models might go down in price towards the end of the summer. That's what I'm sort of hoping for anyway.

It's getting dangerous shopping about for bikes though, as it's far too easy to have a particular bike and budget in mind, then completely change your mind when you get a feel of the lovely things which are out there.  Posibly on account of my female gender, I was almost seduced by a rather nice bike recently, on account of its pretty colour. I saved myself an expensive mistake because they only had it in a frame size slightly too large for me.

My current thinking is to maybe get a superb frameset once next year's models come in and this year's get reduced, and kit it out with lots of nice stuff. I'm looking for a bike which will do for tri as well as road, so also having to make decisions on that account.  I'm crap at decisions.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 12:09:52 am by Cookie »

fatkid2000

• junky
#1181 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 21, 2008, 07:39:39 am
I'd have the Soloist R3 personally...

Quite like the Wilier Cento, though it don't think it's particularly beautiful.

Wouldn't mine a Litespeed Archon. My current ride is a Tuscany, and it's very nice thanks.

I've ridden a R3 SL, and the SLC-SL. Both are great bikes, but I think unless you're going to ride cobbles I'd go for the SLC-SL. Although with the roads in there current condition this may need factoring inThe Wilier Cento is also a nice ride - I preferred it to the Cervelo's but I think that was due to the wheel set up. Personally I think its a better looking bike than the Cervelo's.

what about titanium?

Trust this one to come up. I ride Ti in the winter - A Sunday September - Its built like a brick shit house, takes mud guards and isn't that heavy considering. I prefer carbon though - its lighter, stiffer and doesn't flex as much.

The other thing to consider is the new groupsets coming out in the next year or so. Shimano's new Dura-Ace is production ready and has been seen at the Giro. Campag are fast developing the next Record set, and both companies are close to electronic shifting mechs. Then there's the SRAM red set - which according to a friend of mine is awesome.

chappers

• forum hero
#1182 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 21, 2008, 09:44:04 am
planet x make a titanium bike that has just come out very well in tests, and is very affordable.

as for me, nicest looking carbon frames have to be made by De Rosa. i would love an idol.

chappers

• forum hero
#1183 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 21, 2008, 09:50:21 am
on account of its pretty colour.

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#1184 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 21, 2008, 11:02:31 am
I've got a 'cheapy' Planet X carbon SL which is a cracking bike (basically a Ridley frame rebranded as PlanetX, as far as I'm aware), and the other bike is the ultimate perversion for roadies. A full carbon Lightspeed - yes, I know, but it was a bargain and it rides amazingly. Very stiff and light, and accelarates like you've put a piece of root ginger up its arse! All the Lightspeed develotees will be tearing their hair out, asking why on earth I would want a carbon frame from a manufacturer who pretty much exclusively only make fine titanium bikes - the answer being I got a good deal, and the frame is a lot lighter than their equivalent priced ti frames. Piccy here http://www.litespeed.com/bikes/2006/road/pavia_.aspx
However, given unlimited budget etc, etc, I would love a Cervelo SLC-SL (probably with some nice Lightweight carbon wheels and the new Lightweight carbon rear mech for geek value - and cos it looks insane.... £400 for a rear mech, anybody?!?!?)

fatkid2000

• junky
#1185 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 21, 2008, 12:50:21 pm
Percy I thought the Planet X was going due to it trashing your knee.

Got to agree though that SLC-SL looks awesome, plus I'd go even quicker due to the flash bike syndrome. (Damm this wedding)

tlr

• forum abuser
  • tim-russon.myportfolio Instagram tim_russon
    • Myportfolio
#1186 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 21, 2008, 01:00:03 pm
For understated looks I think that the Storcks are hard to beat. The C1.1 + Fork deal is actually quite reasonable price wise (about the same as catering for 35 wedding guests......).

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#1187 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 21, 2008, 01:03:05 pm
Does any bike manufacturer make anything in ceramic?

Seems a bizarre question, but C-fibre is quite old now and hey, Glock make great ceramic handguns.  Is it a material used on bikes at all?

tlr

• forum abuser
    • Myportfolio
#1188 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 21, 2008, 01:21:31 pm
It used in bearings for hubs and wheels, but that's about it.

fatkid2000

• junky
#1189 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 23, 2008, 07:38:38 am
For all you Sheffield based roadies I've found some new killer hills - I expect most of you know these but boy were they steep. After work yesterday I went for a little ride around Bradfield and Langsett, there are some steep old hill round here. The road surface is awful in parts and some of the hills proper hard. The one that stands put goes towards Langsett reservoir called Mortimer Road, towards Upper Midhope its 1 in 4 and has a couple of switch backs in it. There are plenty of others to choose from, some are proper steeper. One good thing is that there isn't much traffic. You can get some really good training done round hill as the downhill sections aren't long enough to allow you to recover!!

tlr

• forum abuser
    • Myportfolio
#1190 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 23, 2008, 09:39:57 am
Yep, that hill is a bit of a bugger. The Phil and Friends Sportive in August starts off out that way, goes over Holme Moss back though Glossop to Edale, back up Winnats (at 90km), out to do the steep climb up to Monsal Head and then back to Sheffield via the A57. 150km and some climbing.

fatkid2000

• junky
#1191 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 23, 2008, 10:47:11 am
Yep, that hill is a bit of a bugger. The Phil and Friends Sportive in August starts off out that way, goes over Holme Moss back though Glossop to Edale, back up Winnats (at 90km), out to do the steep climb up to Monsal Head and then back to Sheffield via the A57. 150km and some climbing.

That sounds fun. Or rather punishing depending on your view point

Cookie

• regular
#1192 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 23, 2008, 12:24:12 pm

Aaaaaaaaaah, that's so pretty!  :-*

Joepicalli

• forum abuser
#1193 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 25, 2008, 02:44:07 pm
Just been out for a hilarious short ride Sheff Ringinglow Hathersage Millstone hill Fox House Sheff. The wind is blowing a gilhoolie straight down the Burbage valley  and along the Surprise view straight;so strong that I was actually fpushing a higher gear up the Millstone Hill than along the straight. Happy Days.

Cookie

• regular
#1194 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 25, 2008, 02:54:13 pm
The planet x bikes do look good and seem to be reasonably priced. I called the company who've recommended I make a daytrip to their place in Doncaster. So I might do that when I have the time. Anyone here have any experience of Planet X, ie are the bikes any good? are the company helpful with repairs and things?

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#1195 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 25, 2008, 03:11:33 pm
Just been out for a hilarious short ride Sheff Ringinglow Hathersage Millstone hill Fox House Sheff. The wind is blowing a gilhoolie straight down the Burbage valley  and along the Surprise view straight;so strong that I was actually fpushing a higher gear up the Millstone Hill than along the straight. Happy Days.

i've just ridden top of totley to top of blakka on the road on an MTB, I swear normally I free wheel the last bit... this time i was in the 2nd ring at the front, and pedalling hard!!

sod climbing outside, I'm off onto my board!!!

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#1196 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 25, 2008, 05:53:16 pm
Planet X = nice guys. I have one of their Ultegra build SL pro carbon bikes and it is a lovely thing - by far the best value road bike you can get for the money anywhere in my opinion. As for the factory in Donny, its well worth paying a visit. Its a huge place thats desperate to find, tucked away in a delapidated industrial estate with no identification outside its tiny, shabby door to let you know what happens within.... Once inside though its like a tardis - loads of people beavering away building wheels, bikes, you name it, and more exotic bike parts on huge racks than you've ever seen! Defo worth arranging a tour, but don't forget you're credit card....its hard to escape without making a purchase as theres too many nice things to tempt you (you have been warned)! As mentioned before, Planet X bikes are often rebranded versions of other companies stuff. My bike has a frame made by Ridley (a very good Belgian brand) and I heard a rumour that the new Planet X Ti frames are rebranded Lynskey's (no bullshit!). Just don't tell Fatdoc this last fact - he'll be down there like a shot, plastic in hand.... ;)

On a different note, Alex and Joe at la Bicicleta spent a morning tweaking my position on my bike for me in an attempt to sort out my knee issues. Its a very un-nerving experience riding your bike clad in lycra on a turbo trainer in a darkened room , whilst 2 men lurk and mutter behind you..... It seems to have been worth it though as I already feel much more comfortable on the bike and have a much better position that allows me to spin the pedals at a much faster cadence instead of my previous 'grinders' position that was further over the back wheel. Fingers crossed my knees will start getting a bit better too.

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#1197 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 25, 2008, 06:05:14 pm
Just checked and it is a bespoke Lynskey frame that Planet X are now selling as their sportive Ti bike - a complete bike built up with full Dura ace groupset for £1599 apparently.......that is a complete bargain!

Cookie

• regular
#1198 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 25, 2008, 06:25:17 pm
Thanks Percy B
I'll have to make the journey up to Doncaster some time soon, the train goes direct from Kings X so was planning that but if the place is tucked away I might take the car instead.

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#1199 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 25, 2008, 06:49:39 pm
Car would be best - P X are nowhere near a station!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal