UKBouldering.com

Leg shavers anonymous (Read 573712 times)

Shy Yorkshireman

• regular
    • climblox
#1150 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 16, 2008, 09:47:11 am
I reckon i'll give you the 8a tick for a sub 5 on the curbar. Does it finish at the car park?

tlr

• forum abuser
  • tim-russon.myportfolio Instagram tim_russon
    • Myportfolio
#1151 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 16, 2008, 09:56:34 am
I'll give you more than 8a for 5 mins up there. You'd have to average 24kph, over 2km and 200m height gain. That sort of average would give you a sub 15 on Froggatt too.

8b+ I say....

Somebody go and fetch the Dave Macloed of road biking.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#1152 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 16, 2008, 01:48:46 pm
Under 20 stopping for a tab and quick half at the grouse is not bad. Under 15 is not like climbing 8a! maybes 7c. Oh and are we talking rolling start at the give way line? Take it that is the bottom of the hill! Proper 8a's are nails. any monkey who puts in a bit of EFFORT can get up that in 15. That my two peneth any road.

you're either a shite sportclimber or an awesome roadie  ;)

Have to say that Curbar Gap is the only local hill worthy of interest!?  Froggatt is almost as tedious as surprise view but a nice surface for descending on for the main event non?

Sub 5 minute Curbar Gap anyone?  Stationary start from leaning on the sign to get cleats in...

you're deluded, insane or on serious doses of performance enhancing drugs
 ::)

Shy Yorkshireman

• regular
    • climblox
#1153 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 16, 2008, 02:49:00 pm
you're either a shite sportclimber or an awesome roadie 

I am neither! Just a realist! Sorry!

Ok mask's off i'm a shite sports climber!

The winner of last years curbar gap student thing Matt Clinton 5.43.78.

No disrespect to mr Clinton but i'm guessing he's not a mega wad or a full time cyclist if a pro went up it or even top british pro, god only knows how quick it would be.

tlr

• forum abuser
    • Myportfolio
#1154 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 16, 2008, 03:09:59 pm
Fairplay to him. If that is from the very bottom to the carpark at the top then that is phenomenally quick in my humble opinion. I bet his heart rate made for interesting viewing!

I still think that sub 5 minutes would be a bit harder than 8a. But I can't do either so that's only a guess.... :shrug:

fatkid2000

• junky
#1155 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 16, 2008, 03:21:28 pm
I'm going to have to time myself up Curbar Gap. I've never timed myself before up it, but I now know the bench mark.

There seems to be alot of talk about the Froggart Hill time etc. Its a well known hill in cycling circles, as a hill to test ones fitness against. My cousin used to race the premier calendar and trained in the Peak and used Froggart Hill to get an idea of his overal fitness, usually at around the 50 mile mark in a training ride. I agree its not that steep but its constant and it may be tedious but most hills are.

Shy Yorkshireman

• regular
    • climblox
#1156 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 16, 2008, 03:29:36 pm
And how long did it used to take him after 50 miles?

How about 8a and a sub 15 on the way home!

A pint to the winner!

chappers

• forum hero
#1157 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 16, 2008, 06:39:38 pm

The winner of last years curbar gap student thing Matt Clinton 5.43.78.

No disrespect to mr Clinton but i'm guessing he's not a mega wad or a full time cyclist if a pro went up it or even top british pro, god only knows how quick it would be.

that said, this man needs no introduction:

Gethin Butler  05:59.2  (i know gethin, and obviously he does not compete anymore, but he is still mega fit and has turned himself into a top quality runner. i know little of the people on this forum (and no disrespect), but i doubt any one could beat him on any distance on a bike).

fatkid2000

• junky
#1158 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 16, 2008, 06:42:04 pm

Got no idea, but he used to kick my arse up almost any hill. I'm sure he said he did it under 13 mins though - but I could be wrong.

fatkid2000

• junky
#1159 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 16, 2008, 06:57:43 pm
Vital piece of equipment if you are lover of la bicicletta's approach to bike building.

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/first-look-new-park-tools-16393?img=2

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#1160 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 17, 2008, 08:54:48 pm

Got no idea, but he used to kick my arse up almost any hill. I'm sure he said he did it under 13 mins though - but I could be wrong.

that will be VERY fast then, as in the recent past you'd have won a sportive.... if you had'nt got lost!!

and hill climbing is your best strength IMO...

fatkid2000

• junky
#1161 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 18, 2008, 05:15:17 pm
For the next sportive I'm considering buying one of those Garmin 705s, and putting the route into it. I don't usually get lost but I kind of drift off into abit of a dream on the bike.

[/quote]

that will be VERY fast then, as in the recent past you'd have won a sportive.... if you had'nt got lost!!

and hill climbing is your best strength IMO...
[/quote]

I really don't think I've got the fitness to win a sportive - cheers for the complement though. Although I agree that hills are my strength.

Rode a Wilier Cento yesterday - oh my god it was fast - Shame it would cost £4K ish.

http://www.wilierbikes.co.uk/index.php?itemID=08centorecord&imgID=1&mcID=5

tlr

• forum abuser
    • Myportfolio
#1162 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 19, 2008, 07:32:21 pm
Have any of you NHS types used the 'Bike to Work' scheme to buy a bike, or know if any of the Sheffield hospitals are running it?

Kim (my wife) asked about it in Rotherham today and was told that they'd looked into a few years ago it and decided it wasn't fair so they weren't going to do it. Apparently they may look into it again. :-\

Cheers

Tim

fatkid2000

• junky
#1163 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 19, 2008, 11:55:21 pm
Have any of you NHS types used the 'Bike to Work' scheme to buy a bike, or know if any of the Sheffield hospitals are running it?

Kim (my wife) asked about it in Rotherham today and was told that they'd looked into a few years ago it and decided it wasn't fair so they weren't going to do it. Apparently they may look into it again. :-\

I've never heard of any one using the scheme, but I have heard of a group called spokes. I expect most trusts will tell you where to go, but have a look at their website, linked below. Let us know how you get on, as I'd be interested to see if I could blag something out of my new employer.

http://www.networks.nhs.uk/networks/page/368

saltbeef

• forum hero
#1164 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 20, 2008, 12:09:53 am
the northern doesn't. i wrote a snotty letter saying shouldn't we be trying to show an example to the general public, etc. anyway i got no reply. typical nhs hr style...

tlr

• forum abuser
    • Myportfolio
#1165 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 20, 2008, 09:56:00 am
Sounds about right. For the sake of a couple of hundred quid saving Kim will buy a cheap commuting bike anyway, but surely it is the lower paid staff who are really losing out - the very people the scheme is aimed at.

I'm sure that the mountain bike websites have people employed by the NHS who have used the bike to work scheme.

Thanks for the SPOKES thing, I'll have a look.

Tim

Baron

• obsessive maniac
#1166 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 20, 2008, 10:08:45 am
I work for the council and attempted to access said scheme last year. There was a mix up. Thought I was getting my bike for £410. Ended up paying full whack at £850. Ouch.

Having said that, the council do offer a £400 interest free loan to buy a bike with. Might be worth checking out.

chappers

• forum hero
#1167 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 20, 2008, 01:49:27 pm
depends which council...up here in lancs they dish out £1000 interest free loans and were very helpfull in the process too. i dont even notice the payments in my pay cheque.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1168 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 20, 2008, 01:58:03 pm
Are these loans for the council for employees of the council, or the general public?

I'm confused as the original question was about purchasing under the Bike to Work for people working at the NHS.

chappers

• forum hero
#1169 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 20, 2008, 02:01:45 pm
oh yeah, you have to work for them! sorry should have made that clear (i work in one of their schools, maybe they do it for hospital employees??)

squeek

• junky
#1170 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 20, 2008, 03:35:42 pm
depends which council...up here in lancs they dish out £1000 interest free loans and were very helpfull in the process too. i dont even notice the payments in my pay cheque.

Nice one, can I borrow £50 a month for the next 20 months?

DubDom

• menacing presence
#1171 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 20, 2008, 09:06:04 pm
If you had a top five list as to who makes the best carbon frames, who would be on it? (road bikes only)

tlr

• forum abuser
    • Myportfolio
#1172 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 20, 2008, 09:11:52 pm
Dunno how you quantify best, But I'd like:

Storck
Cervelo
Parlee

Probably in that order  - but I haven't ridden any of them, I'm just going on looks and reviews.

Cookie

• regular
#1173 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 20, 2008, 09:11:54 pm
If you had a top five list as to who makes the best carbon frames, who would be on it? (road bikes only)

Strangely enough I asked a man in a bicycle shop a similar question today, except I was asking about road frames in general, not just carbon. His reply was that it depends how much you have to spend and what level of performance you want. So if you want regular rides, are not a world-class cyclist or triathlete, and have £1000 to spend, blow it on a Giant model, not a bottom-of-the-range frame with a posher label.

If you have over £1000 to spend and are a good enough cyclist to want something better, my guess is that you wouldn't be asking for advice here  ;)

fatkid2000

• junky
#1174 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 20, 2008, 09:15:09 pm

This will create a huge debate. Cycling weekly recently voted the Cervelo R3SL their road bike of the year. I'd certainly look at one for my next bike. I'm sure there is probably little difference between the frames at the top of the market, but it certainly can cause alot of debate.
The frames I like the look of are:

Cervelo
Wilier
Orbea
Storck
De Rosa
Pinarello
Specialized
Colonago

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal