UKBouldering.com

Leg shavers anonymous (Read 573572 times)

webbo

• forum hero
#1100 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 07, 2008, 12:41:04 pm
Hardknott apparently is the steepest bit of tarmac in Europe /quote]

isn't rosedale chimney on the north york moors the same gradient 1 in 3.

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#1101 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 07, 2008, 01:23:53 pm
How did you find Winatts, Fatkid? I would hope you cruised to victory without stopping! Quite windy out there today on the tops, I thought...

tlr

• forum abuser
  • tim-russon.myportfolio Instagram tim_russon
    • Myportfolio
#1102 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 07, 2008, 01:54:36 pm
Tim isn't the Fred Whitton this weekend?? Feeling fit? Hardknott apparently is the steepest bit of tarmac in Europe and the descent on the other side needs real attention. Good luck. Are you raising cash for a charity??

Yup, Whitton is on Sunday. I'm happy enough that I'll get round, its just the time and the state that I'll be in thats to be determined.

I rode the Lakeland Loop Sportive a few weekends ago, and that includes Hardknott and Wrynose, but its only 115km, not 175km. Stayed on the bike on them then, but might be a different matter after 160km! Feeling reasonably fit (Winnats Pass without standing up on 34-25 and a Froggatt Hill PB recently), but 8 hours plus in the saddle and 175km is going to be distinctly hard work I reckon.

I have a 12-27 thats going on the bike tonight....

The Fred Whitton is for charity, but my contribution is merely my entrance fee and an extra donation I'm afraid.

I am really looking forward to it, but I'm slightly nervous at the same time.

And to cap it all, Sunday is my birthday too, but I suspect I'll be falling asleep in my beer on Sunday night.

Tim

cofe

• forum hero
#1103 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 07, 2008, 02:15:19 pm
good luck with it timmy.

fatkid2000

• junky
#1104 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 07, 2008, 02:18:52 pm
Got up Winnatt's fine. Managed it in one go then looped round to Edale. The hill up from Edale looks pretty harsh. Think its got a 18% section according to the computer. It was pretty windy, especially going up to Burbage Bridge from Hathersage.

Good luck on Sunday Tim.

fatkid2000

• junky
#1105 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 07, 2008, 02:27:29 pm
Hardknott apparently is the steepest bit of tarmac in Europe /quote]

isn't rosedale chimney on the north york moors the same gradient 1 in 3.

Just found these.

http://www.bikereader.com/contributors/Ainsley/hills.html

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/105618

tlr

• forum abuser
    • Myportfolio
#1106 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 07, 2008, 02:43:11 pm
Thanks for the thoughts gents.

I'll let you know how I get on.... :'(

Tim

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#1107 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 07, 2008, 04:33:50 pm
Thanks for the thoughts gents.

I'll let you know how I get on.... :'(

Tim

good luck mate, take it steady
 :bow:

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#1108 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 08, 2008, 01:04:48 pm
*shock news*

Dolly has actually ridden the new Ti bike he was so porud of purchasing!!!

It's only taken him 3 months!

Now that is the worst case of *i'm not getting it wet / muddy* etc... i've ever seen!!

rather nice bike though, i admit
 ;)

fatkid2000

• junky
#1109 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 08, 2008, 02:29:25 pm
Which Ti bike did he buy?? Lynskey???   I thought the whole point of Ti was that it was weatherproof etc 

Dolly

• forum hero
#1110 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 08, 2008, 04:26:30 pm
Its a Bianchi frame with Ultegra on it and some Mavic summat wheels.

http://www.slanecycles.co.uk/productdetail.aspx?id=1412&subid=373&catid=72
is a piccie of it

The not getting it wet thing is more to do with aesthetics and laziness than anything else TBH and..... I just haven't been riding that much.

I have to say it goes like a fookin rocket though. I couldn't believe how fast and light  it was, even compared to the carbon frame with bits of ultegra and Dura Ace I'd been riding. I'm off to Italy in a couple of weeks for a week of roadiness so am now very excited indeed

Dolly

• forum hero
#1111 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 08, 2008, 04:27:20 pm
I didn't pay that much for it either ....

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#1112 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 08, 2008, 05:01:15 pm
Its a Bianchi frame with Ultegra on it and some Mavic summat wheels.

http://www.slanecycles.co.uk/productdetail.aspx?id=1412&subid=373&catid=72
is a piccie of it

The not getting it wet thing is more to do with aesthetics and laziness than anything else TBH and..... I just haven't been riding that much.

I have to say it goes like a fookin rocket though. I couldn't believe how fast and light  it was, even compared to the carbon frame with bits of ultegra and Dura Ace I'd been riding. I'm off to Italy in a couple of weeks for a week of roadiness so am now very excited indeed

you're close to -ve karma for not knowing what bling you've spent all that cash on, i saw in the dark last night and even i noticed the mavic krysium elite hoops....

fatkid2000

• junky
#1113 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 08, 2008, 08:22:41 pm
My wilier rear derailleur (campag) keeps slipping. When I put loads of pressure/ power through the pedal the chain slips into a smaller cog gear. It also does seem to shift properly when out on the road. When I change gear the chain does not run properly on the selected gear. At home in the garage it seems fine, and try as I might I can't fix it. Its really pissing me off. Any ideas - could it be the derailleur is bent or need replacement? The back cassette is new as is the chain (SRAM).

Thanks for any suggestions.

Fatdoc: I'm off next weekend, working this one - was thinking at having a gander at the Marin's at Stans then.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#1114 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 08, 2008, 08:31:14 pm
i'm IN for hot dusty trail fun.... dont know which day yet, so many off sick!!!!

i'll get back to you... book the demo bike NOW, as sales usually rocket at this time of year!

fatkid2000

• junky
#1115 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 08, 2008, 08:37:51 pm
Sounds like the Northern fatdoc - sunshine skivving - bunch of slackers. I've got the lowest number of sick days as a trainee and I'm sodding leaving. I've had zero days off since I started there.

tlr

• forum abuser
    • Myportfolio
#1116 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 08, 2008, 08:53:24 pm
My wilier rear derailleur (campag) keeps slipping. When I put loads of pressure/ power through the pedal the chain slips into a smaller cog gear. It also does seem to shift properly when out on the road. When I change gear the chain does not run properly on the selected gear. At home in the garage it seems fine, and try as I might I can't fix it. Its really pissing me off. Any ideas - could it be the derailleur is bent or need replacement? The back cassette is new as is the chain (SRAM).

Thanks for any suggestions.

One possibility is that the deraileur is a bit stiff, ie. its not wrapping the chain round the cogs as fully as it should be allowing the chain to slip down a gear. Lube the pivot points, especially the one by the top jockey wheel.

Are the gears indexed 100 percent? With shimano you simply put the shifter in the position for the smallest but one gear, and then twist the barrel adjuster until the chain is trying to climb onto the 3rd smallest gear, then back off the adjuster until there is no chatter. Dead simple and works every time. Unfortunately I don't know if that works for Campag.

fatkid2000

• junky
#1117 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 09, 2008, 08:47:16 am
Tim, I've tried the above you suggested. The campag system works differently. I've lubed the pivot points. The indexing is different to shimano but I've adjusted it and it runs fine when at home. It slips when pedalling up hill, when I put some extra power through the pedals. Maybe its time for that nice shiney record drive system. P.s Don't tell the wife!!!

webbo

• forum hero
#1118 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 09, 2008, 09:11:02 am
is your chain compatible with your cassete.i know you said they are both new but if you hadn't i would have thought you were running a new chain on an old cassete.

fatkid2000

• junky
#1119 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 09, 2008, 12:38:40 pm
is your chain compatible with your cassete.i know you said they are both new but if you hadn't i would have thought you were running a new chain on an old cassete.

I'm running a SRAM chain which is new. According to my books and SRAMs website is campag compatible. I've run SRAM chains before on campag kit with no problems. The weird thing is that it runs fine in certain gears (not always the same ones) then when I change gears there is loads of chatter, or when it seems to be running fine it suddenly slips, when I accelerate into a lower cog. Very odd - maybe I'll have to pedal more gently.

webbo

• forum hero
#1120 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 09, 2008, 01:40:52 pm
as i said above thats like new chain/old cassette.have you bent your rear mech or have the springs in it gone.when you push it to one side does it spring back into postion.
another thought have you got a stiff link in your chain,maybe where you joined it to gether.a stiff link will cause it to jump under pressure.

Simon S

• menacing presence
#1121 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 09, 2008, 02:27:40 pm
It may be worth just checking that the cassette lockring is tightened up sufficiently. Just a thought.

fatkid2000

• junky
#1122 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 12, 2008, 02:07:29 pm
as i said above thats like new chain/old cassette.have you bent your rear mech or have the springs in it gone.when you push it to one side does it spring back into postion.
another thought have you got a stiff link in your chain,maybe where you joined it to gether.a stiff link will cause it to jump under pressure.
It may be worth just checking that the cassette lockring is tightened up sufficiently. Just a thought.

Well I had a good fiddle, but it still isn't right. So the bike is off to the bike hospital tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestions.

Tim, did you survive that small ride around the Lakes at weekend??

chappers

• forum hero
#1123 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 12, 2008, 07:35:40 pm

watch it evolve. some quality BMX and MTB parts added. stem by Flybikes, bars by Fireeye. wheels next. then...frame powdered and baked.

squeek

• junky
#1124 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 12, 2008, 08:05:54 pm

watch it evolve. some quality BMX and MTB parts added. stem by Flybikes, bars by Fireeye. wheels next. then...frame powdered and baked.

It's like the Frankenstein of bicycles!  ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal