UKBouldering.com

Leg shavers anonymous (Read 573558 times)

SheffyRoc

#1075 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 06, 2008, 08:31:33 am
But the best news is I don't have a wife and am therefore free to be as selfish as I please with my dosh

Ha! I used to think that, didn't want to give up my time and independence etc. But luckily I met a girl who respects me and my interests just as I do hers. She wouldn't dream of telling me what to spend my money on, and vice versa.  And having a double income is definitely a bonus (much more dosh, only one mortgage).  Having someone gorgeous about the place has its benefits too.  I don't think I've lost out at all.

As for kids, the best news is that I don't have any.  Yet.  Any opinions from the guys out there with kids and bikes? Have you put seats on the back? Gone out on the road with a couple of nippers on BMXs trailing behind?

SheffyRoc

#1076 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 06, 2008, 09:31:33 am
Shit, just realised that sounded judgemental as hell. Sorry Baron, it wasn't intended that way. I was just trying to extol the benefit of ladies who have their own life and their own income. Whereas you were probably just joking about.

Anyway.Since it's my morning off I might stop arsing about here and check out that Barnsley shop.

Baron

• obsessive maniac
#1077 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 06, 2008, 10:31:09 am
No problem. Indeed, twas only joshing. Having recently got myself a pseudo girlfriend I have to agree with the benefits your extolling. It is rather fun to have some one gorgeous about the place...

Anyway, check out this weather!

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#1078 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 06, 2008, 04:37:44 pm
Chatting to Joe and Alex at Bicicleta today, and turns out that they have a league for Froggatt hill times, so its not just climbers on road bikes who are into this type of silliness. Just to reiterate just how impressive Fatkids time up the hill is, he would be the current league leader by some way! I went up there this morning into a vile headwind which ground my enthusiasm down to nothing, and ended up with a meagre 17mins. Still, I reckon with good knees, no wind and no massive processions of trucks coming towards me, I might get under the 15 minute barrier before too much longer. Thinking ahead to more alpine asperations (maybe in the autumn) I think a more interesting target is up, down and up Froggatt hill in 40 minutes or less. This would mean 17 mins to go up and loop round the junction, 6 mins to descend and then another 17 minute effort to get back up to the top again. This would be a better/horrific test of climbing stamina as you will have to pace yourself. I could be more psyched for this as a training target.... Any takers?

fatkid2000

• junky
#1079 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 06, 2008, 04:48:28 pm
Percy, thats a good idea. I was thinking of ways to extend it on my way home on Saturday. Perhaps the run could continue past the give way sign, to the fox house, then down the hill towards Hathersage. Then up the first hill towards Burbage Bridge, to the cattle grid. Not sure how long it would take, but its a similar idea to yours with a down hill then back up.

fatkid2000

• junky
#1080 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 06, 2008, 04:53:08 pm
Chatting to Joe and Alex at Bicicleta today, and turns out that they have a league for Froggatt hill times, so its not just climbers on road bikes who are into this type of silliness.

Thought you were banned by the wife from this and all other bike related establishments. :-\

saltbeef

• forum hero
#1081 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 06, 2008, 05:10:50 pm
percy you are a nutter! twice! I just nearly died going up that bastard, the wind at the top was the icing on the cake, had to lie down.
and yes fatkid's time is fucking storming! did just under 18minutes had to stop at the grouse! I suck at cycling!

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#1082 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 06, 2008, 05:47:16 pm
my time on this is 18 mins also  :'(

knees willing i'll have another crack at it soon!

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#1083 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 06, 2008, 06:07:09 pm
Bicicleta trip was justified by trying to sort my knee issues out - fallen arches being the latest suggestion for the cause! Fatkid, laps on Froggatt hill is the best way I've found of maximising the uphill with as short a time as possible between efforts. If you get to the top of Froggatt hill then ride over to Hathersage you'll have too much recovery time. Straight back down for a second go is the way forward (and often the second time can feel 'easier' than the first, bizarrely!). It's a nice long drag without too much gradient - there  are not too many climbs of its length or quality in the Peak...most of the others I can think of are steeper and shorter, or longer and easier. Its just a 'shame' the gradient eases after the Grouse, otherwise it would be a real killer!

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#1084 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 06, 2008, 06:25:27 pm
Percy, can you give me a shout as I've lost your mobile number.

I'm also getting your personal messages (although nothing too personal so far), you might want to sort it!

Baron

• obsessive maniac
#1085 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 06, 2008, 06:26:27 pm
The real challenge has got to be Sir William Hill Road up out of Grindleford to the top of Eyam Moor. I rode down this on Saturday. It's mean and very steep at the start. Time anyone? There's also a climb up from the A6 through the back of Sparrowpit. A friend of mine entered the national hill climb championships there in the late 1960's/early 70's on a fixed wheel. He finished top 30 I think. Still cycling now too, and still on a Wilson frame!

Baron

• obsessive maniac
#1086 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 06, 2008, 06:51:01 pm
...and Percy you might know him. It's the living legend from Grimsby, Pete Pounds.

fatkid2000

• junky
#1087 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 06, 2008, 07:03:27 pm
I'm off tomorrow as I have a night shift, so I'm off to try the Froggart Hill Challenge again. Weather looks good so should be a fast time. I prefer riding in hot weather. Does everyone else do the hill on the big ring???  That Sir William Hill Road, looks awful I've ridden down it, maybe I'll go up it tomorrow.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#1088 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 06, 2008, 07:07:22 pm
I'm off tomorrow as I have a night shift, so I'm off to try the Froggart Hill Challenge again. Weather looks good so should be a fast time. I prefer riding in hot weather. Does everyone else do the hill on the big ring???  That Sir William Hill Road, looks awful I've ridden down it, maybe I'll go up it tomorrow.

no i bloody dont!!

big ring until past the turn after chequers.... into little ring, 4 sprokets left..... go down again just before rise to grouse..... go up 2 after that, hit end.... die

*note to self, avoid the new uber fit fatkid's rides until able to kill him DH on an MTB*

fatkid2000

• junky
#1089 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 06, 2008, 07:12:39 pm
Oh another question - When I was riding back to Sheffield on Saturday I rode with a few guys from Sheffrec cc. All 4 of then were riding without gloves or mitts. I know you get better bike control without mitts but after about 2 miles my hands feel like they will die from road vibration. Is it common not to wear mitts or am I just a wet??

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#1090 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 06, 2008, 07:41:24 pm
Oh yes, I've met Mr Pounds several times. Didn't know he liked to ride bicycles up hills too. They're all at it!

Fatkid - i wear mitts, even when its hot as otherwise my arms get really stiff after a lot of miles. The vibration just kills them! They are essential kit if you ride on the drops a lot too (like on a track bike) as otherwise the pressure of the bars on your hands can press on the nerves and make your fingers numb for a very long time. (I once had to drive back from the velodrome in Manchester with a completely useless left hand due to this which made the snake pass quite interesting!)

As to doing F hill in the big ring - your knees must hate you! When you say big ring, I would hope you mean the big ring on your compact and not a proper 53 ring..... I will be out tomorrow morning for a quick GENTLE hour or so if you want to meet up. Weather looks bueno, and no wind which is a nice change from this morning

Baron

• obsessive maniac
#1091 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 06, 2008, 08:23:59 pm
Confirmed the following. It was the mid 1960's and he was 16. He had to ride against the seniors because a race for juniors hadn't been invented. Venga Tonto!!

I find the thought of Froggatt on the big ring alarming. Watch your knees chaps. Remember, spin to win!

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#1092 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 06, 2008, 09:00:38 pm
Is it common not to wear mitts or am I just a wet??

I'm sure this was more a misplaced sense of lighter = faster.  I wager they had shaven heads, back, sack and crack too.   ;D

fatkid2000

• junky
#1093 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 06, 2008, 09:01:31 pm
Yeah its the big ring on the compact. My knees are in fine form. Although I'm thinking of changing the Wilier's compact to a standard double ring with carbon cranks. Only thinking about it as I need the compact on some of the steep stuff.

The mitts issue was just out of interest as I've always worn mitts and all kinds of layer systems in winter. I can't ride more than about five miles without mitts, but these chaps had done 50 miles or so and when I asked they seemed to think I was asking some kind of stupid question!!!

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#1094 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 06, 2008, 10:19:52 pm
i use thin spesh summer full finger gloves all year round, in winter add lobster assos over gloves. my years of mtb make me insist on full fingers, in addition i have the ones with 3 large soft gel pads in... much better than the mitts i first got (assos!) for stopping sore hands

saltbeef

• forum hero
#1095 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 06, 2008, 10:47:23 pm
big ring! not a chance!
having said that on my old bike(the deathtrap), when i was commuting to the northern from crookes everyday the gears got to such a shit state that only the big ring worked and I soon got used to it. I generally prefer to mash a big gear.
as for no gloves !

webbo

• forum hero
#1096 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 07, 2008, 08:48:13 am
riding with out mitts is similar to building a tolerance in your crutch.the more you ride the easier it gets.a lot of guys tend just to wear them to race in or on long hilly rides.
if you were in a road race on froggatt hill,you'd be in the 53 or out the back.

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#1097 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 07, 2008, 09:38:17 am
Maybe you'd stay in the 53 - if you were in a 1st cat or an elite road race! Averaging more than 15 mph up there in the big ring  is an effort worthy of this standard of rider - otherwise the majority of Sheffield roadies should give up now! I like to mash a big gear, but there are very few riders who will stay in the big ring on long climbs (more than 3 or 4 kms) at any level (most alpine cols in the tour only average out at between 6 and 9% and you don't see many riders in the big ring on them!). Jan Ullrich liked to grind huge gears on climbs and he never got near 'spinners' like Armstrong on long climbs.... Admitedly Froggatt hill is very short by these standards, but you have to be a total wad to ride up it in the 53 without needing an oxygen cyclinder at the top. It maybe a more feasible option when riding in a group in a race, but not when you're out for a training ride (or in a 3rd/4th cat race, for that matter) and want to continue with you're ride when you get to the top!

webbo

• forum hero
#1098 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 07, 2008, 10:49:29 am
i think you would find that in a 3/4 cat race the guys who are racing to win as opposed to just making up the numbers will go just as hard up the hills as in a 1st cat race.its the overall speed that tends to be lower as a difference between the different cats.lower cat racing tends to be attack then ease off then someone else has ago and so on.

fatkid2000

• junky
#1099 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 07, 2008, 12:31:50 pm
Tim isn't the Fred Whitton this weekend?? Feeling fit? Hardknott apparently is the steepest bit of tarmac in Europe and the descent on the other side needs real attention. Good luck. Are you raising cash for a charity??

I've just been over Winnat's, then back home through Edale. The new wheelset really has made a difference.

As for the Froggart challenge - I'm going to do a study. Day one ride it in the big ring. Day two ride in small ring, and see which is quicker. Hopefully days with similar weather. Then I'll know.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal