UKBouldering.com

Leg shavers anonymous (Read 573414 times)

Duma

• forum hero
#1025 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
April 29, 2008, 01:47:35 am
Stem/bar sizing... yes there's a difference between road/MTB. IIRC one is 25.4mm dia, the other 26mm. not sure which is which tho, and I have used MTB stems on road bars without problems...
Edit: just read your link, it would seem its the MTB that are 25.4 - therefore road=26mm. I'm guessing this is bad - a stem designed for a fatter bar may not be able to get tight enough? having said that, there's always a bit of gap so you'd imagine that there'sspace to take up the slack. Or cut up a coke can and wrap that round the bar...
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 01:53:19 am by Duma, Reason: read link - more info »

Baron

• obsessive maniac
#1026 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
April 29, 2008, 10:26:50 am
Should I get a new cassette with my new wheels or just stick the old one back on (1 year old).
Also gloves. What's decent? The last pair of fingerless I bought just bunched up under my hands. It was really quite annoying.

fatkid2000

• junky
#1027 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
April 29, 2008, 05:47:31 pm
Finally got round to getting some proper wheels.

Getting a set of these from La bicicletta.

http://www.zipp.com/Products/Wheels/tabid/85/CategoryID/2/List/1/Level/1/ProductID/40/Default.aspx?SortField=ISBN%2cISBN

Baron - gloves Specialized contact points are always good I've got a couple of pairs of their Pro BG ones which come fingerless or with fingers. I've also got some Rapha ones - really good, 100% leather - but totally overpriced.

Cookie

• regular
#1028 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
April 29, 2008, 06:07:55 pm
I wear Specialized short finger gloves which I found for £4 in a bargain bin at my local bike shop (luckily ladies size small stuff often seems to get reduced whilst mens equivalents are still full price) but when it's warm I prefer not to wear any gloves.

In winter I wear Campagnolo textran metal long-finger gloves which were a good investment as they're warm and grippy but really light and flexible. And they've lasted a good few years so far.  Again, they're the ladies version though.  So possibly not a very helpful suggestion.  Sorry.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#1029 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
April 30, 2008, 07:54:10 am
Finally got round to getting some proper wheels.

Getting a set of these from La bicicletta.

http://www.zipp.com/Products/Wheels/tabid/85/CategoryID/2/List/1/Level/1/ProductID/40/Default.aspx?SortField=ISBN%2cISBN

Baron - gloves Specialized contact points are always good I've got a couple of pairs of their Pro BG ones which come fingerless or with fingers. I've also got some Rapha ones - really good, 100% leather - but totally overpriced.

Oh God, you're getting even faster  :'(

fatkid2000

• junky
#1030 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
April 30, 2008, 08:37:21 pm

[/quote]

Oh God, you're getting even faster  :'(
[/quote]

Thats the idea. Plus I've been hill training after work loads. Although today I couldn't shake some bloke off who drafted off on A57 up into Crosspool. Mind you I was loaded up with work stuff and on the commuter bike with mud-guards etc.

chappers

• forum hero
#1031 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
April 30, 2008, 10:11:28 pm

as far as we could get on the tourmalet, i will go back this summer and ride it when the snow has been removed from the road. unfinished business.

fatkid2000

• junky
#1032 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
April 30, 2008, 10:15:19 pm
Shouldn't you be on a cervelo with that CSC top on?

chappers

• forum hero
#1033 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
April 30, 2008, 10:22:04 pm
ha ha, if i knew anything about cycling when i bought it im sure that i would be, i didnt even know who they were or basso or anyone! fact is that it was the least expensive on on the web, it could say whatever it wanted to for all my money cares! (i have become a bit of a fan of csc as a result tho)...

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#1034 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 01, 2008, 10:38:59 am
Due to a particularly favourable tail wind, I'd like to declare today 'fast Thursday'! Just took nearly 5 minutes off my best time for my local training loop in the Peak. All the time was made up on the hills, due to the fact that the wind is just right to give loads of help. Was going the wrong way round to try for a sub-15 minute Froggatt hill time (definately possible today I reckon), but rode up the hill under Gardoms in the big ring which is normally not an option for me! (Also clocked 75kph on the way back into Sheffield from Owler Bar).  8)
You getting the new wheels today, fatkid? Shouldn't you be on a Cervelo with those CSC wheels?!?

tlr

• forum abuser
  • tim-russon.myportfolio Instagram tim_russon
    • Myportfolio
#1035 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 01, 2008, 11:08:54 am
Well I'd like to declare today 'Bastard Slow Thursday'. Thanks to a headwind all the way up Ringinglow Road this morning, commuting to Hathersage took 4 minutes longer than normal, and I needed gears I don't normally use. Coming down under Higgar usually sees 60+kph on the clock, today it just struggled over 40kph.

Whats the betting the wind has dropped or swung round by home time?

fatkid2000

• junky
#1036 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 01, 2008, 11:14:27 am
Just got the new wheels - they look very nice. Need to put some tyres on them - going to ride them at the weekend. If I get some rim tape - forgot that I had run out!!!
Percy if I bought a cervelo - I'd feel like a right twat - I can't justify £4K on a bike. They are pro bikes for pros to ride.

So basically you got blown round.

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#1037 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 01, 2008, 11:45:00 am
So basically you got blown round

That's right - it was great. I did have an epic headwind getting out into the Peak (I can fully sympathise, Tim - total hard graft up to Owler Bar this morning) but more than made up for this on the way back! And fatkid, you wouldn't look like a twat on a Cervelo, due to the fact that you'd have to ride it at the speed of light so nobody could see you on it (or overtake you!).... The posh bike effect - you have to ride faster to save humiliation. Mind you, your missus miught object to that going on the wedding list.... :-\

Baron

• obsessive maniac
#1038 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 01, 2008, 01:08:14 pm
Our very own Cowboy hat has done Froggatt hill in under 15 mins for a dare. He said he felt "unusual" upon reaching the summit.

tlr

• forum abuser
    • Myportfolio
#1039 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 01, 2008, 08:45:46 pm
I went for the Froggatt Hill Challenge on the way home, and got a new PB of 14.54. I have to say though that the wind didn't feel that helpful by the time I got there!

Average heart rate of 173bpm, and a max of 189bpm, which is 4 over my theoretical limit.

I'll admit to feeling 'a lttle unusual' at the top as well. Still a minute behind my mate's best time though.

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#1040 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 01, 2008, 09:09:09 pm
Nice one! That might nearly be as quick as the dude on the battered steel-framed fixie who shot past me and fatdoc on Froggatt hill a few months back! (bastard...!)
I think the wind had died down a lot by home time today, Tim - never mind...all good training. When's the FW?

tlr

• forum abuser
    • Myportfolio
#1041 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 01, 2008, 10:06:10 pm
Whitton is the 11th May. I'm happy enough that I'll get round, less certain that I'll keep up with my mates.

Froggatt Hill Challenge - 5.87km of pain. Get to the the Challenge gents. Give way line to give way line.

fatkid2000

• junky
#1042 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 01, 2008, 10:44:44 pm
I'm up for this challenge my hill climbing is getting better and my new super wheels will make me even faster. Oh and I've lost half a stone so less weight to haul around. Anyone riding Saturday? The lady is away - hen weekend, so don't have to ask for pass out. Not working as I thought the rota people did me a favour for once.

Anyone know how to fix a rattling crank - it creaks when I pedal, doesn't look cracked or anything serious, think its just worked its way loose.

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#1043 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 02, 2008, 08:02:02 am
What have you got - campag or shimano? My ultegra cranks got a little creaky last year, but they just needed re-greasing and a bit of a service. I had another creak recently when I pushed on the left pedal which I thought was the cranks, but turned out to just be the saddle creaking so that was a lot easier to sort!

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#1044 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 02, 2008, 12:24:20 pm
I'm up for this challenge my hill climbing is getting better and my new super wheels will make me even faster. Oh and I've lost half a stone so less weight to haul around. Anyone riding Saturday? The lady is away - hen weekend, so don't have to ask for pass out. Not working as I thought the rota people did me a favour for once.

Anyone know how to fix a rattling crank - it creaks when I pedal, doesn't look cracked or anything serious, think its just worked its way loose.

Oh my Lord....

I'm not rising to this, i'll die...

haematoma on thigh now less painful, new peak on full facer on order...

I'm off to the MTB thread!!!  Big XC loop  planned for sunday morning

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#1045 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 02, 2008, 12:35:09 pm
 :thumbsdown:

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#1046 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 02, 2008, 12:42:59 pm
well, Tlr has 2 mtbs, fatkid's gonna get one, Yoss has one...

it's time to offroad dude!!

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#1047 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 02, 2008, 02:02:00 pm
Don't let my missus hear you say that sort of thing. I'm in enough trouble as it is with my road bike problems.....

Yossarian

• forum hero
#1048 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 02, 2008, 05:00:06 pm
well, Tlr has 2 mtbs, fatkid's gonna get one, Yoss has one...

it's time to offroad dude!!

i have two in storage and a broken one in the garage...

but when i put my new old 3T bars on the colnago and sort out the bar tape i will have two fine road bikes working.

that said, i seem to be glued to the intense website at the moment... i wonder if anyone owns all of them?!

fatkid2000

• junky
#1049 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 02, 2008, 06:28:35 pm
 :thumbsup: Come on fatdoc you know you want a race up Froggart Hill.

I'm taking the bike with the dodgy bottom bracket / cranks to Stan's at Matlock.

Spoke to Stan's regarding the MTB - They though I should get the Attack Trail - If I was going near it with fatdoc or the Mount Vision if I was riding with anyone else!!!!

Don't let my missus hear you say that sort of thing. I'm in enough trouble as it is with my road bike problems.....

I wonder who's wearing the trousers in Percy's house at the moment???

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal