UKBouldering.com

Leg shavers anonymous (Read 573731 times)

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#950 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
April 17, 2008, 07:59:19 pm
weekend after this i'm in scotland canyoning down the Tay  - stag do with a difference

Sorry to wander off topic, but is this with Nae Limits? Mate is talking about doing it for a birthday weekend, be interested to hear what it's like.

As an aside, have found local bike shop will do demos, so hoping to get a Rocky Mountain of some sort off them, so at least I can have a decent go on a Full suss that is the right size for me. Local Alpine Bikes also has large Santa Cruz Heckler I can have a day on.

dunno. but i'll find out.
The Whyte is a full carbon frame - So I presume the swing arm is as well. Is carbon to weak for full on abuse??
Is Whyte now owned by ATB or Marin?

So basically you would rate the Mount Vision as a better bike. The quad XC 120 range are the same frame with varying specs on groupsets etc - which would you go for??

I'll go and have a look as Stan's next week or maybe the week after, I currently seem to live at the NGH - thinking of resigning but it may effect my increment etc so may have to endure it until August. Spechs seem to have nice bikes - but that means James's.

Isn't there some bling MTB shop in Edale - Worth looking - or too pricey like that nice shop on Greystones Road????

well expensive - but awesome shop in Hope, 18bikes , i was looking at £3,200 for a pace full suss (very posh build though)... i bottled it

i need to examine the marin range more to give you my views... will do!

Also, how is it?? 5 days off... bit chesty... got better... fastest time last week to work..by a lot.. before got chesty that is

legs feel mullered today.. took me 4 mins more than usual to get home! spack foot real bad, tendon crepatus & knee total joint pain, calves in spasm ++, foot actually wobbles through the pedal stroke now.  :'(
also, back (and foot) Got bad after wave session at foundry... but how did I do every prob - bar 1 -on my board in 90 mins y'day???

weird or what...

BTW, i reckon the mats at the foundry are too stiff... I'm thinking of bringing my pad with me next time i go!!

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#951 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
April 17, 2008, 08:35:35 pm
If you will go to the Foundry, fatdoc.... ;) I have heard that the mats there are a little firm - maybe too firm for the infirm?!?! My knee is still buggered - damaged cartilidge (sp?) according to my physio dude. Not bad bad, but painful and a bit swollen.... A little rest is called for I think (anybody out at the w/end? :devangel:)

Yossarian

• forum hero
#952 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
April 17, 2008, 08:39:20 pm

whyte is no longer owned by Whyte, the new quads are now a 3rd gen on his design. it's a VPP in effect. they grip the ground on the ups, and dont jar you.... borrow mine if you dont believe me!!

whyte have always been dear. the whyte you're looking at... is it carbon swing arm??? if it is steer clear from that IMHO

i know the guys at atbsales / whyte, cos they're just up the road and sold me my 46 a while back.

whyte has always been owned by atb sales. mr whyte was brought in as a designer at marin, and then atb sales set him up as head designer at his eponymously named outfit. he's since parted company, and the e120 is the first post-mr whyte design.

i find the BB height on my 46 is a bit high, but i think this has been addressed on the e120.

i love the whyte 19.

they also are the wilier importers, and as soon as my bank balance improves i intend to splash out on a cento record...

fatkid2000

• junky
#953 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
April 17, 2008, 09:31:13 pm
I also like the whyte 19 but the doc seems to be saying I need a full susser. The swing arms on the whyte is carbon (looked on their site), apparently its made of 157 pieces or something!

That place at Hope looks good as well, maybe this MTB thing is going to be expensive.

The Cento looks a nice bike, one of many I would like to add to my collection. Tempted more by a cervelo or the SL2.

tlr

• forum abuser
  • tim-russon.myportfolio Instagram tim_russon
    • Myportfolio
#954 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
April 17, 2008, 10:04:31 pm
Percy

I could be tempted by a gentle ride on Saturday - had a cold all week and forecast is shite but I ought to get out for a couple of hours. I'm doing the Graves Park run on Sunday so can't ride then.

Just ordered myself some Tune wheels, so the Cervelo might have to wait a bit. Better to save 300g off the wheels than the frame I reckon.

fatkid2000

• junky
#955 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
April 18, 2008, 09:57:35 am
Tim I asked about waterproofs - after looking through the suggestions I have found the gore oxygen. Have a look at the link - does it pack smaller than your countdown. Also like the look of the zenon - but thats just a softshell. Think I need to spend abit of cash to get something breathable as I seem to generate a tonne of heat.

http://www.gorebikewear.com/1164920285784.html

If you go through the menus there are pics of the stuff-sac thing.

tlr

• forum abuser
    • Myportfolio
#956 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
April 18, 2008, 12:13:36 pm
The Oxygen probably packs a little bit smaller than the Countdown as its a slimmer fit and has a few less features. Materials used are very similar though so there won't be much in it.

The Xenon is available as a goretex paclite like the Countdown and the Oxygen. Xenon is just the name Gorebike give to their top roadie clothing, so you can buy Xenon shorts, bibs, jerseys, windproofs etc.

The Countdown and the Xenon waterproof both pack into their own rear pockets, whereas the Oxygen doesn't have a rear pocket and packs into a separate stuff sack.

Hope that helps.

I would still very seriously recommend the Montane Velo Pertex as a windproof for the summer - it'll breath much better than the Goretex Paclite stuff, and weighs less than 100g. I try and wear my Countdown only if I know I'm going to get wet.

Tim

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#957 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
April 18, 2008, 12:34:56 pm
I also like the whyte 19 but the doc seems to be saying I need a full susser. The swing arms on the whyte is carbon (looked on their site), apparently its made of 157 pieces or something!

That place at Hope looks good as well, maybe this MTB thing is going to be expensive.

The Cento looks a nice bike, one of many I would like to add to my collection. Tempted more by a cervelo or the SL2.

no doubt. honestly.. you'll run better lines, climb tech better, pump through singletrack better, ride for longer, skip about with a less chance of falling and most importantly have way more fun on a good bouncer... they are more expensive, need some care and not as lite as a hardtail of course...  if you must go hardtail check out Pace's 305.... amazing machine! ( Charlie at work has one - he rave about it!)

I've had a look at the Stan friendly options: demo a mount vision.

However, i believe they stock Trek??  Look at the Remedy range - 6 inch travel under 30lbs!!! 

decisions decisions!!

I'm climbing indoors saturday morning, getting my MTB back from the menders (i'll tell them they will see you soon for an XC bike fatkid) in the afters.... watch Theos sunday morn, piss about on some easy singletrack in the ppouring rain sunday afters... This obviates me further traching my spack foot with a bit of luck..

If you will go to the Foundry, fatdoc.... ;) I have heard that the mats there are a little firm - maybe too firm for the infirm?!?! My knee is still buggered - damaged cartilidge (sp?) according to my physio dude. Not bad bad, but painful and a bit swollen.... A little rest is called for I think (anybody out at the w/end? :devangel:)

They are... the lad's going to the kids club for a few weeks to get someone else to teach him knots and stuff, he also gets to climb with those of his age group more... i train whilst he is there...

*ahem* I know a good surgeon for the knee!!

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
#958 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
April 18, 2008, 12:47:58 pm
Sunday MTB then Fatdoc?  You could even let me borrow your Marin to prove how good it is  ;D

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#959 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
April 18, 2008, 01:37:00 pm
just gonna do the footpaths near my house... got a mate coming over - not been  ridden off road for 18 months. he got his compo this week - shoulder fracture dislocation as a cycle vs car. he's more than a bit hesistant!!!  - you've met him, Graham - was on a demo 8 in morzine 2 yr ago, crashes alot! weather looks well shite i have to say.. wont stop me though.. i've missed my new bike. hope to be making the weds evening ride more often than not for the next few months... jerry says it's got to be a regular session

i know your doubts over marin, i had them too - until i rode this one. it has nothing to do with the *sit atop a high bouncy thing and hope to survive* type of ride that i always found they had... you're welcome to have a go!

fatkid2000

• junky
#960 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
April 18, 2008, 01:45:33 pm
Cheers for the info Tim. I want something packable for commuting etc - as I seem to go to work in the dry and leave and its pissing it down. And being a roadie wet I don't like getting wet. I'll probably get one of them Montane ones for the Summer etc.

Pace bike doc - they look fab - maybe I'll splash out on one. Couple of people are putting me off Marin.

Dolly

• forum hero
#961 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
April 18, 2008, 05:02:52 pm
hope to be making the weds evening ride more often than not for the next few months... jerry says it's got to be a regular session

Count me in from next week.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#962 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
April 18, 2008, 05:34:23 pm
hope to be making the weds evening ride more often than not for the next few months... jerry says it's got to be a regular session

Count me in from next week.

you free sunday afters for a bit of a gentle one?

i've seen the whyte full suss & the mount vision today, the whyte is to all purposes a mt. vision but made of carbon. the XT version is £2800, £800 more than the mt. vision. I dont think it's worth it. Stans are expecting your call to demo both in the next few weeks, they think you'll love the carbon one!!
 :devangel:

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#963 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
April 18, 2008, 08:16:00 pm
Tim - almost certainly not going out tomorrow - totally knackered at the moment! What Tune wheels did you get? Sounds pricey...

On the subject of buying stuff, would anybody be interested in buying my Planet X carbon pro bike? Only had it since Jan, but I'm pretty sure its the change in the geometry between this and my Lightspeed thats contributing to the knee problem. Seeing as the Lightspeed is my pride and joy (and doesn't agravate the knees), I guess the Planet X is on the market if anybody wants it. Full carbon frame and forks, full Ultegra compact groupset and either the basic Planet X wheelset (unused) which brings the whole bike in at 8.3 kgs, or if you want I might sell it with the 50mm carbon wheels that are currently on it (although this will add at least £350 to the price, but you loose 0.5kg off the bikes weight and it looks the business with carbon wheels)! Its only done 1200kms and is in pristine condition, unlike its owner (who has been round the block several times and has seen better days....)

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#964 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
April 18, 2008, 08:17:49 pm
Oh....and I forgot to mention that it is also very quick with the carbon wheels on. Oh yes, very quick... :'(

fatkid2000

• junky
#965 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
April 18, 2008, 08:49:44 pm
Fatdoc these Pace bikes look the business - or they too expensive for a roadie freak???? How did you know I love carbon??
Isn't it abit weak for full on MTB abuse. Have to say I like my Ti winter bike.

http://www.pace-racing.co.uk/rolling-chassis.asp?catID=1&subcat=459

Percy I may know I buy for your bike. I'll let you know next week - how much do you want for it, less the carbon wheelset.

Tim, Tune wheels - did you get them from  Poshbikes.com. They look good.

tlr

• forum abuser
    • Myportfolio
#966 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
April 19, 2008, 06:46:38 pm
I called in a bit of a favour from one of our suppliers for the Tune wheels. Not exactly sure what the damage will be yet, but looks like being a pretty useful discount as the wheels will be coming direct from Tune in Germany rather than from a shop or distributor. Spec should be something like Super RR: MIG 70-28h/ MAG 160-32h/ DT 1.1/ DT Aerolite. Taking the QRs in to account as well they should knock 300g off my wheels and be comfier than the Ksyrium SLs as well.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#967 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
April 19, 2008, 07:58:20 pm
Fatdoc these Pace bikes look the business - or they too expensive for a roadie freak???? How did you know I love carbon??
Isn't it abit weak for full on MTB abuse. Have to say I like my Ti winter bike.

http://www.pace-racing.co.uk/rolling-chassis.asp?catID=1&subcat=459

Percy I may know I buy for your bike. I'll let you know next week - how much do you want for it, less the carbon wheelset.

Tim, Tune wheels - did you get them from  Poshbikes.com. They look good.

you can demo pace 305 and 405 at 18bikes in Hope.....

i wouldnt buy carbon...

fatkid2000

• junky
#968 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
April 20, 2008, 08:07:48 pm
Hope everyone had a good weekend etc.

I went down south - so no bike activities. Had a look at 18 bikes website . Are these santa cruz bike anygood. Bike radar seem to think they are alright. I may do a a visit there and to Stans on Tuesday as I'm off then. Going to steer clear of carbon - think I'll break it.

They sound good wheels Tim.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#970 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
April 21, 2008, 01:22:10 am

Not sure that's really a "leg shavers" link but in answer to your general question....yes, Santa Cruz make good bikes. I have a Chameleon hardtail and I love it.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#971 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
April 21, 2008, 07:28:20 am
The Santa Cruz link

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/category/bikes/mountain/product/blur-lt-08-31093?source=newsletter&attr=mtb/2008/03/13

Thats a 3K build.

Before you get into that bespoke place in Hope SET YOUR BUDGET

you're looking at loads of different styles of bikes..... give me  a txt and come round to mine..... have a feel of my steeds!

fatkid2000

• junky
#972 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
April 21, 2008, 08:01:29 am
Hey doc,

I'll pop round to yours at some point - and have a gander at yours and decide then what to go for before spashing the cash.

tlr

• forum abuser
    • Myportfolio
#973 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
April 21, 2008, 09:27:42 am
That Blur LT is very nice. If I was going to have only one bike I'd look at Blur LT, that new Pace 405, Santa Cruz Heckler (bombproof) or the Specialized Enduro, Turner 5 Spot or Cove Hustler. All bikes that would be fantastic round here but perhaps not the nippiest possible uphill.

For shorter travel bikes I think that I'd be very tempted to stick with my Santa Cruz Superlight. Its simple, light, reliable and easier than a hardtail on rough uphills or even flat gound.

You're welcome to have a ride on it if you like - riding as many bikes as possible will help you decide what it is you want from a bike.

fatkid2000

• junky
#974 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
April 21, 2008, 10:33:24 am
Arrrrrghhhhh too much choice.

Doc tell what to buy I'm no good at choice.

I'm off out on the road bike - winnats here we come, I'm feeling strong, hopefully I won't die.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal