UKBouldering.com

Leg shavers anonymous (Read 573402 times)

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#925 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
April 15, 2008, 12:02:33 pm
I'm gonna support some mates in the 10km in graves park sunday morning... so i'll be on my bike later on. have to say i'll be preferring MTB if the damn thing is working by then. I'll get a ly in for the first time in a few weeks as well!

BTW, got  a PB to work last week, 31:54. 10.1 miles... very happy.   ;D  Until i woke up the next day with a chest infection  :'(. I could go faster as I was 2 mins 30 up on the split - but only 90 secs faster overall. It's the traffic thats becoming the limiting factor now ::)

not been on the bike since... hopefully tomorrow

fatkid, have you got a mtb?? even with the wedding expenses £125 A month interest free credit will get you a £1500+ full suss XC machine that you can then beat me up the peak off road as well as on.. c'mon mate - you know you want it

:devangel:

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#926 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
April 15, 2008, 12:32:10 pm
Nice one, Fatdoc. Sounds like you could easily be persuaded to do the Shefrec 10 mile time trial at the end of May. On the Hatfield Woodhouse course near Doncaster - very flat and very quick. No traffic to worry about, just head down and grind it out. I'm contemplating it - it would be nice see how close to the mythical 20 minute mark I can get (although that is currently the mythical 25 minute mark!) Time trialing is a dark art - I used to do it in my teens, but haven't had a go since then. It's pretty hard to know just how hard to push yourself - but good fun it that twisted sort of way. Anybody keen?

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#927 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
April 15, 2008, 01:30:21 pm
Nice one, Fatdoc. Sounds like you could easily be persuaded to do the Shefrec 10 mile time trial at the end of May. On the Hatfield Woodhouse course near Doncaster - very flat and very quick. No traffic to worry about, just head down and grind it out. I'm contemplating it - it would be nice see how close to the mythical 20 minute mark I can get (although that is currently the mythical 25 minute mark!) Time trialing is a dark art - I used to do it in my teens, but haven't had a go since then. It's pretty hard to know just how hard to push yourself - but good fun it that twisted sort of way. Anybody keen?

I am... but wont i be the slowest man there??

Also, our babies are due about then??

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#928 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
April 15, 2008, 02:40:17 pm
No, you defo won't be the slowest person there by a stretch. And yes, our babies are due around this time, but it'll only take 30 minutes max! Result!

LucyB

• Trusted Users
  • obsessive maniac
#929 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
April 15, 2008, 03:28:39 pm
And yes, our babies are due around this time, but it'll only take 30 minutes max! Result!

Popping a baby out in 30 minutes  :jaw: I'll see what I can do  ;)

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#930 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
April 15, 2008, 03:40:10 pm
 :lol:

very good!

er... oh... go on then!!

fatkid.... i presume you're in... as you'll be likely to win!

fatkid2000

• junky
#931 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
April 15, 2008, 05:02:19 pm
I'll probably enter the time trial thing. Flat sounds good for a change. Maybe I can find a time-trial bike to go on.
MTB - got some well old GT thing- It creaks real bad - not fit for peaks. I'm tempted to get one - just to kick your arse fatdoc.

Rode up Hagg Lane (From Rivelin Valley to Crosspool) now thats a steep hill. I almost blew up at the top even on the compact.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#932 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
April 15, 2008, 05:06:14 pm
i'm spending your money now fatkid.... you'll get me on the hills - but never on the downs.

yes, that's a gauntlet.

good effort on hagg lane.... so your commute back fom the northern is actually a full on training ride... the secret to your climbing ability is now clear!

fatkid2000

• junky
#933 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
April 15, 2008, 08:54:19 pm
The extensions out towards Stocksbridge and Bradfield also help with the hill climbing. Found some proper steep hills to climb,although my standard commute route uses only the big ring. I only have one speed on the bike - and thats flat out especially on the hills - so any ride is training.  Anyone up for Winnats soon. Next year I'm planning for L'etape or another Alpine sportive.

So Fatdoc which MTB do I need - Do I need Full Suspension - Doesn't that slow you down???

fatkid2000

• junky

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#935 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
April 16, 2008, 08:38:27 am
Check this gezzer out. Hope for all of us

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/grandad-john-tackles-the-marmotte-15810

that's bloody awesome!

If you continue to train this hard you'll be well fit to ride abroad next year mate!

For mtb you need a full suss - it's faster both up and down.....

you can get one of them, with a better (fox single crown) fork IMO for a measly £1500. interest free....

they have them in chesser james's. Actually I nearly bought one last month

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#936 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
April 16, 2008, 10:07:55 am
Having said that horst links and spesh full suss FSR is the nadgers I have to say these are rather good

www.marin.co.uk/2008/bikedetail2.php?ModNo=3835

of importance to you fatkid is they are for sale in Stans, and have a demo wolf ridge in your size just ready to go....

:devangel:

tlr

• forum abuser
  • tim-russon.myportfolio Instagram tim_russon
    • Myportfolio
#937 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
April 16, 2008, 10:10:24 am
I'm gonna support some mates in the 10km in graves park sunday morning...

Look out for me and Kim then, we are doing Theos on Sunday.

I was hoping to get out for a long ride on Saturday but forecast is crap and I've got a cold at the moment too.

I'm now getting tempted by a Specialized S-Works Roubaix frame after seeing my mates in the Lakes, but getting a test ride to assess sizing could be tricky.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#938 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
April 16, 2008, 10:18:10 am
I'll be taking pics Tim, I'll look out for you.

Spesh Ruby???

Thought you'd be more bling than that mate  ;)

what about the cervelo ???

go on   :devangel:

tlr

• forum abuser
  • tim-russon.myportfolio Instagram tim_russon
    • Myportfolio
#939 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
April 16, 2008, 11:22:05 am
Spesh Ruby???

Thought you'd be more bling than that mate  ;)

what about the cervelo ???

go on   :devangel:

Have to see how many WLI Kim does at Rotherham before thinking about the Cervelo....it would be very sweet though.

fatkid2000

• junky
#940 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
April 16, 2008, 01:55:17 pm
Measly £1500 : Thats the cons in you talking fatdoc. Us trainees have more modest incomes plus I take a cut in August. Mind you role on the GP salary (oh did I mention no on-calls!!!) Just need to find a sideline for my sports medicine MSc that will bring in some extra cash.

Tim get the Cervelo - Awesome I rode one and they are sweet. Fast, light , comfortable. Come on you know you want to. Mind you the Spesh bike look good. The S-works Tarmac SL2 looks pretty cool and you can buy the frameset and build it. There are the new Spesh centres in Chester and Birmingham - they have the full range apparently.

Fatdoc aren't these more like downhill bikes rather than XC. I'm not one for hauling around extra weight etc!!

fatkid2000

• junky
#941 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
April 16, 2008, 03:05:23 pm
Are these any good fatdoc :      Quad XC 120 (mount vision)
                                           Whyte E120

Stans has them on their website. I'd rather buy there - better service etc and I'm sure I have an allergy to James's only good for inner-tube purchases and the odd bit of assos when the fetish takes control.

Anybody up for a ride Friday morning - working Friday night need an activity so I sleep during the afternoon.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#942 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
April 16, 2008, 04:40:38 pm
the mount vision is AWESOME in it's present guise.

give stans a ring, they'll sort you out  a demo bike for a couple of days (weekend after this i'm in scotland canyoning down the Tay  - stag do with a difference!, but i'd be happy to show you some routes round Hope etc... whenever)

i'm not as big a fan of the whyte -BB too high... but as you're so used to road bikes you might find it good.

Both have very good reviews indeed.

Personally i take the weight hit on the climbs to have 140 to 150mm travel for the downs, horses for courses - you'll get these sort of bikes up the hills... but it's an effort!

I'm working fri morning.... it's  faintly possible i'll b getting my MTB back from stans fri afters.... perc can often get a ride in before the Works opens.

fatkid2000

• junky
#943 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
April 16, 2008, 08:08:19 pm
Stans have the Whyte E5 on sale in a large & medium - Is this any good??

I like the look of the Marin Mount Vision. Why are the Whyte's so much more - are the frames better or is it the bling factor on the kit??

Are you sure I need full susp - I do have an obsession at being able to go up hills fast. Saw a nice Tit hard-tail which looked pretty nice.

I'm busy the next 2 weekends - enjoy getting wet & cold. Cycling some giro climbs may be my Stag do: don't think many people will be wanting to come!!!!!

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#944 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
April 16, 2008, 10:55:22 pm
Ask about... concensus is if it's a tech up hill a good full suss IS faster up.... look on bike magic.com. full suss is faster down unless you are way talented, or it's so smooth that you need not have bothered

whyte is no longer owned by Whyte, the new quads are now a 3rd gen on his design. it's a VPP in effect. they grip the ground on the ups, and dont jar you.... borrow mine if you dont believe me!!

whyte have always been dear. the whyte you're looking at... is it carbon swing arm??? if it is steer clear from that IMHO

BTW, i'm not inviting myself to the stag do... you and your ex pro cousin can suffer that one.... but if it's a weekend away in MTB in the lakes.... i have the info!!!

fatkid2000

• junky
#945 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
April 17, 2008, 08:05:34 am
The Whyte is a full carbon frame - So I presume the swing arm is as well. Is carbon to weak for full on abuse??
Is Whyte now owned by ATB or Marin?

So basically you would rate the Mount Vision as a better bike. The quad XC 120 range are the same frame with varying specs on groupsets etc - which would you go for??

I'll go and have a look as Stan's next week or maybe the week after, I currently seem to live at the NGH - thinking of resigning but it may effect my increment etc so may have to endure it until August. Spechs seem to have nice bikes - but that means James's.

Isn't there some bling MTB shop in Edale - Worth looking - or too pricey like that nice shop on Greystones Road????

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#946 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
April 17, 2008, 08:09:11 am
Working this Friday - but I'm playing catch up at work at the moment so should be a bit more flexible next week if anybody's getting out. Sheffrec have a club run tues and thurs evenings so I might tag along on one of those next week and see what the sketch is for entries for the time trial.... They sound like a reasonable bunch of folks. Some of their riders actually do a turn on the front and chat to you when you're out on a ride! A turn up for the books if you've encountered the surly tossers who ride with the rutland.
There's a lot of MTB talk on here at the moment, so to even it up whats the deal? The rear of my PlanetX carbon wheels is making a weird squeeking noise - its not rubbing anywhere, but it sounds like its coming from the hub... Anybody got any bright ideas - i'm at a loss...

webbo

• forum hero
#947 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
April 17, 2008, 08:17:21 am
water in the bearings or bearings binding.is there any means to adjust them,with mavics even though they are sealed bearings you can adjust the tension.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#948 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
April 17, 2008, 09:18:49 am
weekend after this i'm in scotland canyoning down the Tay  - stag do with a difference

Sorry to wander off topic, but is this with Nae Limits? Mate is talking about doing it for a birthday weekend, be interested to hear what it's like.

As an aside, have found local bike shop will do demos, so hoping to get a Rocky Mountain of some sort off them, so at least I can have a decent go on a Full suss that is the right size for me. Local Alpine Bikes also has large Santa Cruz Heckler I can have a day on.

fatkid2000

• junky
#949 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
April 17, 2008, 06:40:23 pm
Back to Road biking - Look at the shock on Boonen's face as Mark Cavendish sneaks past to win the Le Grand Prix de l'escaut.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/cycling/7351329.stm

Or here when he's started to celebrate already

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/mark-cavendish-wins-second-scheldeprijs-vlaanderen-15841

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal