UKBouldering.com

Leg shavers anonymous (Read 573701 times)

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#850 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
March 20, 2008, 09:26:58 am
Any advice on full sus/alternatives/justification on stretching to the 3rd option!

buy 2nd hand?

as you know, cyclists are some of the worst gear freaks (especially Fatdoc) meaning the 2nd hard market is always saturated with bargains

:guilty:

though I'm not alone....

i agree on the 2nd hand thing, my DH bike is 2nd hand, saved over a grand off the list for a 1 year old bike..

bikemagic.com, SDH.com, bikeradar.com and surprisingly MBUK sales board are all worth keeping an eye on.. singletrackworld is good, but can be dear.. quality of bike is very good though.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#851 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
March 20, 2008, 09:29:33 am

I got my FR bike from ebay and it was a total bargain. I would only go for ones that allow you to inspect and pickup though, don't get it posted.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#852 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
March 20, 2008, 09:41:16 am

I got my FR bike from ebay and it was a total bargain. I would only go for ones that allow you to inspect and pickup though, don't get it posted.

I'd avoid ebay, there again I've never really got on with it. the 2nd hand forums are just as good a deal IMO look around and then get some opinions off here if i was you, start after the bank holiday when we'll all be back at work.. it will lighten up the day when we are all feeling depressed after having spent the bank holiday watching the sleet lash down...

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
#853 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
March 20, 2008, 10:45:59 am

he's right you know

chappers

• forum hero
#854 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
March 20, 2008, 10:46:09 am
can we please stop talking about bloody mountain bikes  :please:   ;D

bubba, to answer your question: it is not practical to ride fixed about a city that is hilly day to day. i rode to work on it the other day - mission, not to be done again! i ride a ribble winter trainer as a commute with 20 gears on the bad boy!

may also be less keen to ride if this weather forecast is correct...ill PM ya if im going out.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#855 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
March 20, 2008, 11:16:16 am
can we please stop talking about bloody mountain bikes  :please:    ;D

bubba, to answer your question: it is not practical to ride fixed about a city that is hilly day to day. i rode to work on it the other day - mission, not to be done again! i ride a ribble winter trainer as a commute with 20 gears on the bad boy!

may also be less keen to ride if this weather forecast is correct...ill PM ya if im going out.

nah, i like them too much!

seriously, this thread is one of the best on the web for noob roadie advice, we should return the favour to noob MTBers as well.

besides, getting both wheels off the ground is just as satisfying as your 1st 100km / work commute as a PB etc.. etc..

the diversity of bicycles is a wonderful thing.

good way to make your disposable income vapourise as well  :oops:

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#856 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
March 20, 2008, 11:27:38 am

I think a seperate topic for mtb is a good idea - i'm trying to dig an old one out to post an outrageous photo....give me a minute...

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#857 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
March 20, 2008, 12:52:43 pm
oh shit...

it's either me bleeding to death or bubba in a lyrca bib

either way NSFW

Duma

• forum hero
#858 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
March 20, 2008, 05:14:44 pm
Chappers, this is mine:

Not too bad around Bristol, which ain't flat.
Second shot shows the higher BB that Yoss mentioned. 167.5mm cranks help too. never experienced pedal strike, but I live in fear.
I've got another (On One Il Pompino) w/brakes that I used to commute on. Uphill isn't really an issue, downhill is...
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 05:21:33 pm by Duma »

Fatleg

• addict
#859 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
March 20, 2008, 05:39:34 pm
Nice bike

tlr

• forum abuser
  • tim-russon.myportfolio Instagram tim_russon
    • Myportfolio
#860 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
March 21, 2008, 12:29:20 pm
Obi Wan

You really ought to have a look at this....http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/read.php?f=5&i=639414&t=639414

Sounds ideal.

Tim

tlr

• forum abuser
  • tim-russon.myportfolio Instagram tim_russon
    • Myportfolio
#861 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
March 21, 2008, 12:32:10 pm
or this http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/read.php?f=5&i=639406&t=639406

I've no connection to these people by the way, just always looking round for new stuff for myself.

Tim

Fatleg

• addict
#862 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
March 24, 2008, 04:29:07 pm
Well todays training ride - was a case of ice-cream head in the snow

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
#863 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
March 24, 2008, 07:05:19 pm
i tried to start a mtb thread called riders wives, but no one took any notice  :yawn:

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
#864 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
March 24, 2008, 07:06:16 pm
or this http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/read.php?f=5&i=639406&t=639406

I've no connection to these people by the way, just always looking round for new stuff for myself.

Tim

bargain!

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#865 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
March 24, 2008, 07:22:10 pm
Aye - cold wind on teeth today gave me an awesome ice-cream headache. Most unpleasant.

I'm now back on the program after a fortnight off - just what I need before the Cheshire Cat next sunday.......! I felt OK today but like I defo hadn't got enough miles under my wheels prior to the 100 mile beasting that will ensue next w/end. Short 40km diversions on the way to work now and again just don't cut it when it comes to long-range stamina. Operation 'wing-it' is now in full effect. If anybody is up for a jaunt on Weds let me know. Work in Stockport the rest of the week has scuppered any thought of last minute training (not that it will help much now...)

As for the riders wives thread, you boys need to get with the program. Mtb is so last year - carbon road bikes and gay lycra is in this season. You downhill boys don't even shave your legs, you've all got fat tyres, and you don't even have to rub camphor-based grease into the inside of your cycling shorts to lube you up before a ride.... how gay? :-\  :-[

chappers

• forum hero
#866 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
March 25, 2008, 10:00:41 am
this weekends three day training didnt quite go to plan.
saturday: tideswell - eyam - calver - baslow - gt longstone - monsal head - cragx - litton - tideswell (in pretty much a blizzard cold everything, ice cream head ache etc...)

sunday: too much snow so forced to paint the hallway in the house  :thumbsdown:

yesterday: 40 miles out of sheffield as divised by dave, north of the city (no fucking clue where we went - i dont think dave did either...), really lumpy, then over strines, back up the 57, onto the ridge road, down into the valley back on the 57 up to crosspool and home. again, cold, snow etc...nice.

DUMA: love the bike, im changing the bars on mine for some drops tonight, and im going to man up and put the toe clips on that i bought, gulp.

getting new tyres - michelin pro race 2 - anybody with any thoughts?

anybody going to the velodrome this week? im thinking about going down on thursday...

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#867 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
March 25, 2008, 01:14:05 pm
Michelin Pro race 2's are great - got some on my bike at the moment, no problems and a nice light tyre to boot. Buy'em! Anybody thinking of going to the velodrome this week is wasting their time - track world championships are on all week so Manchester is closed to punters until the end of the month. Am always keen to head over when it re-opens though. Mind you, if you ain't seen a big track race meet before there's still tickets avaliable for Thursday, and it is a truely inspiring thing to watch. The last Revolution meeting was an cracking bash - even 'she-who-must-be-obeyed' enjoyed it, although she rarely admits this in public...!

I'm out tomorrow morning if anybody is keen...

chappers

• forum hero
#868 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
March 25, 2008, 01:35:15 pm
aye, i know the champs are on and am going to go watch...

Duma

• forum hero
#869 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
March 25, 2008, 06:38:20 pm
those are pro race 2 on the Koga - I'm no expert, but they're certainly a step up from the kenda kontenders (sp?) on the on-one. the clips are off now, replaced by some lovely stainless from crank bros, world of difference.
Track worlds: Ms Pendleton. mmmmmmmm

chappers

• forum hero
#870 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
March 25, 2008, 08:55:46 pm
ha ha, my clips are on. i love it! been out skidding like a kid, going to ride with the brake for a while longer yet though....

going to get those pro race 2's for my kuota and build up a stock pile of tyres for my back wheel! going to get some velocity deep v rims for it soon, and a nice set of nitto bars.

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#871 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
March 28, 2008, 06:59:36 am
Did you go to the velodrome last night, chappers? You were a lucky fella if you did - saw the action on telly - 3 more gold medals for the Brits making a tally of 4 golds so far in the first 2 days of the World Championships competition! There's not many (if any) sports that GB are as good at at the moment. If anybody is interested the BBC have an hour of live action on BBC2 every night at 7pm. On a slightly different note, the weather forecast for the weekend looks particularly shite, for all the other folks who read this who are doing the Cheshire Cat on Sunday. I'm taking my armbands....

soapy

• junky
    • maskon
#872 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
March 28, 2008, 10:33:23 am
agreed mister b, the tcwc are tres exciting

when wiggins et al were on the podium i forgot myself so far as to stir my cuppa an extra quarter revolution, in the anti-clockwise direction..

chappers

• forum hero
#873 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
March 28, 2008, 10:42:35 am
Did you go to the velodrome last night, chappers? You were a lucky fella if you did

aye, great night, it was my first experience of track cycling, im going to go again soon - sold out for the rest of the week. as you said before percy the lady liked it even though she doesnt ride.
wiggins and the boys were amazing. cant wait for the madison.
i want to go on a night riding at the velodrome to get a feel of what it is like.

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#874 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
March 28, 2008, 08:51:44 pm
Do a taster session, Chappers, but get a few cyclist mates to go with you so you have like-minded souls to ride with. Its a pretty terifying experience the first time you ride in a big group on a bike that has no brakes and that you can't stop pedalling, but totally addictive. I'm well psyched for it and go to the SQT sessions whenever I can - a major beasting is normally administered in these sessions! Its very, very good training for riding on the road. Makes your pedaling a load smoother, and is a good way of increasing your leg speed.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal