UKBouldering.com

Leg shavers anonymous (Read 573396 times)

Simon S

• menacing presence
#800 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
March 08, 2008, 09:35:23 pm
That bikely site is great. Just added a few of my training rides and its interesting to see how long some of the hills go on for-generally longer than I thought. A useful post that Percy. Thanks

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#801 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
March 09, 2008, 05:21:47 pm
Nice ride today - cheers boys! 100km with aprox 1500 metres climbing. Was chatting to Tim about bike weights and peoples obsession with lightness earlier, and then this caught my eye.....

http://www.rouesartisanales.com/article-17212505.html

Scroll down a bit to read about Germans with weight obsessions. Nutters.....

Yossarian

• forum hero
#802 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
March 09, 2008, 05:38:36 pm
I doubt I'd make it more than 2 miles down the road without that thing collapsing underneath me.

I went out for a couple of hours with the express intention of hurting myself. I claimed the KOM points on Goudhurst hill, and since I got home I have been having problems with stairs...

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#803 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
March 09, 2008, 05:46:29 pm
this computer is 2 flights up... doubt i'll be posting for a couple of days after this.. too disabled.

longest ride for me that, 4 hr 15 mins.. longest before 3 hr 3o ish... it's time in the saddle that tires i say - and the evil route concocted by perc and tim...

I was aiming for the cheshire cat in 4 hr 30, which is shorter, hopefully about the same height.. their site is pants so i'll have to guess a bit there...  even without so much blatant drafting that I displayed from calver through bakewell to the hill up past winster I should be in with a bit of a chance on that... we'll see.

I'm checking my work rota tomorrow, if the weather and work are OK I'll be out again next sunday... dave's up for it too... we just met down the works (got rained on before getting to the plantation), he has just about regained the power of speech!

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#804 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
March 09, 2008, 07:10:18 pm
Scroll down a bit to read about Germans with weight obsessions. Nutters.....

A bike that weighs 3195g. Madness.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 08:03:16 pm by Bubba »

tlr

• forum abuser
  • tim-russon.myportfolio Instagram tim_russon
    • Myportfolio
#805 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
March 09, 2008, 07:45:44 pm
Indeed, a fine ride in lovely weather. Followed by a long lunch in Thyme Cafe and a suitably restful afternoon.

The frightening thing is that I would have to round again to duplicate the Fred Whitton! Hmmm.

I'm impressed that you boys went climbing.

Tim

tlr

• forum abuser
    • Myportfolio
#806 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
March 10, 2008, 09:58:22 am
I've just put the route into my Anquet mapping software and it reckons 2192m of climbing.

Who knows which is right, but I do know that the 2.5km from Beauchief back up to my house felt like hard work.

Tim

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
#807 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
March 10, 2008, 01:05:08 pm
Cheers for the loan of the demo8 fatdoc.  Hope you don't mind but it was a bit heavy for pushing up all them steep hills so I drilled some holes in it to lighten it up a bit.  We had a great laugh at your expense whenever we thought how sore your arse would be getting on your road ride and I am totally knackered today from all the uphill wanking we did.  I even got to ride it downhill at the end of the day which was a novelty, for me and the bike allegedly.  FBSF will be cleaning and returning the beast so any crap on it is his fault.

Ta,

N

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#808 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
March 10, 2008, 07:34:17 pm
I've just put the route into my Anquet mapping software and it reckons 2192m of climbing.

Who knows which is right, but I do know that the 2.5km from Beauchief back up to my house felt like hard work.

Tim

dave says bikely gives it 2200m ascent and 110km. to do that twice in a day is just not worth comprehending, the whitton is the hardest in the UK I presume? makes my goals of the cheshire cat and the legbreaker look purile in comparision.

it was good fun to do an easy circuit at the works after... no pressure, just fun. (it was a truly easy circuit i have to say, and i didnt do it all)

although i've yet to fully stretch - mainly cos i know what my quads will say to me - i'm not that sore.. but god, i'm tired, wierd.. mentally really tired!

i'm using the weather excuse for a couple of days, done 4 days climbing and 3 big rides in 8 days... i need some R&R, i'll sort out my weekend in the next few days and let you guys know if i'm out... have to say i doubt we'll get weather like that again  for a while  :'(

Norton, I hear you shat yourself at wharners  ;)..... once the cat is out of the way (30th March) I'll show you that fatboyslimfast's crashes were nought mate  :lol: watch me!! Tim has vaguely muttered getting his Bullitt out there at some point too... lets all get some bikes with springs attached into the air a bit!! Seriously, the cons in wharners sounded shite.. it's much more fun in the dry... less scetchy and more controllable. Ignore Bubba, he's insane. I tend to keep to the jumpspot, fast track [upper] and the nemba - which is far far easier in the dry. diamondback once you know the lines is a very very good track - looks really easy on the push up, but there are some choice lines there - strangely committing!

we should get a UKB day there, for all... fbsf,  bubs and i know the place very well... time for some payback for all the roadie help i've got off here... more of you boulderers should try freeriding... similar mindset needed... loads of mindgames... ace fun!

Gonna be a good summer.

Shit, almost forgot... must get some climbing in too.

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#809 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
March 10, 2008, 08:12:55 pm
I'm not around next week end - Sky Master duty at the NEC for me, but I might take the bike for an early morning spin west midlands style if the weather picks up. Otherwise it'll be a couple of weeks until I get to do the sunday thing again - I could do with a couple of nice long rides like yesterdays before the Cheshire Cat I think, but fitting things in is tricky at the moment. Don't feel stiff today, and even my dodgy knee isn't feeling too trashed, so all good. Just need a few more miles in the legs before the Cat - 160 kms is a long way (especially with Mow Cop's 25% gradient coming after 120 kms)! Glad to hear we took your virginity, Fatdoc (although you were pretty easy, you slut!)

Yossarian

• forum hero
#810 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
March 10, 2008, 08:30:33 pm

we should get a UKB day there, for all... fbsf,  bubs and i know the place very well... time for some payback for all the roadie help i've got off here... more of you boulderers should try freeriding... similar mindset needed... loads of mindgames... ace fun!

my big bike is in storage... :-(

would a whyte 46 be out of its depth there? 

(would i be out of my depth more like...)

Fatleg

• addict
#811 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
March 10, 2008, 09:18:24 pm
Just makes you realise how fit those pro-riders are, they do 200KM+ day after day. Nutters.
Found out that categorisation of climbs was in the past done using a Citreon 2CV. If it got up in 4th gear = 4th Cat, 1st gear = 1st cat. Car could get up, no categorisation.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#812 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
March 11, 2008, 12:34:12 pm

my big bike is in storage... :-(

would a whyte 46 be out of its depth there? 

(would i be out of my depth more like...)

no, not if you can get the seat all the way down.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#813 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
March 11, 2008, 12:35:39 pm
Just makes you realise how fit those pro-riders are, they do 200KM+ day after day. Nutters.
Found out that categorisation of climbs was in the past done using a Citreon 2CV. If it got up in 4th gear = 4th Cat, 1st gear = 1st cat. Car could get up, no categorisation.

god! that's awesome

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#814 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
March 11, 2008, 01:15:09 pm
just look at this,

truly a technological evolution

http://www.pacecycles.com/product.asp?catID=1&subcat=504

where SXs and yetis were too heavy to climb anything of any technicality at all..... this changes it. I'm stunned... unfortunately they:

1. cost a bomb

2. have  a test bike in the bespoke shop in Hope.

damn...

I've seen the weather forecast for the next 5 days, it's wank... where's that turbo trainer gone?

Otherwise I feel some sheltered XC / FR coming on - might have a play with my light wheelset on SX and see if I can actually climb on it... a lottery win will otherwise  be needed for a CR506 and a EXC150A fork after the sportive season is sorted out...

sound like wharners is a bit stetchy at the mo - suppose the jump spot / top of fasttrack is an option...

IMO that pace is an astounding machine. DT swiss now doing the suspension, so pace get to do what they do best - make frames.

anyone want a shagged VT1 frame going for a song??

Yossarian

• forum hero
#815 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
March 11, 2008, 06:32:08 pm
i quite fancy the new(er) whyte carbon thing. that's about 24lb with 5" front and back...

i need to stop buying bikes though.

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#816 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
March 11, 2008, 06:56:30 pm
I'd just like to take the opportunity to thank Grom and Brian for sorting out my profile on UKB whilst I was out this afternoon. I never worked out how to get an avatar, but now it appears I have one, along with a rather revealing signature. Nice one fellas - I quite like it, although the red eye visible through the mouth hole of the gimp mask is a bit spooky.....

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#817 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
March 12, 2008, 12:10:12 pm
not to be missed this one

http://www.gravity-slaves.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=5342.msg37234#new

manc vs sheff teams, with looong hills to descend, would suit XC, FR and DH (perhaps a bit heavy), so ALL welcome.

Get in.

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
#818 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
March 12, 2008, 01:14:27 pm
not to be missed this one

http://www.gravity-slaves.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=5342.msg37234#new

manc vs sheff teams, with looong hills to descend, would suit XC, FR and DH (perhaps a bit heavy), so ALL welcome.

Get in.

PeaksAlanche sounds great, if deadly.

Will talk to the boys tonight and see if they are entering.  If they are and the weather's crap on Saturday I shall see you there for at least the second run. 

DH bike would suit Pindale, FR for Stanage + Hurst Clough which is definately not a road after this winter - it has a huge runnel all the way down making bermed corners!

Fatleg

• addict
#819 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
March 12, 2008, 06:05:07 pm
Rode a cervelo R3 SL today - cousin stupidly rich. Holy shit felt like I had some major talent injection. Oh and do I want one - shame it £2400 just for the frame. How much do you think I can sell my son for?

http://www.cervelo.com/bikes.aspx?bike=R3SL2008

Fatleg

• addict
#820 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
March 12, 2008, 06:11:26 pm
Apparently this weeks cycling weekly has an article on hill training - maybe useful to those of us who seem to spend too much time going up hill.

tlr

• forum abuser
    • Myportfolio
#821 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
March 13, 2008, 12:15:00 pm
Racing DH on open bridleways on a Saturday in the Peak seems like a really bad idea to me. Why not go up to Wharncliffe and do it?

Anyway, anyone up for a ride this weekend. Sunday looks like the better day at the moment. I was thinking of this ride  http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Holme-Moss. Hope that the link works. I made a few cock ups using Bikely, but it'll give you an idea of the route.

Roughly 120km/3000m I think (elevation profile on Bikely only half works). Should be into the wind on the way out and with it on the way back. Could be cafe stops involved....

Tim

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#822 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
March 13, 2008, 01:12:29 pm
i think venue choice is the reason i'm comfortable with this, the causeway, dirtlow rake and pindale are far more liklely to be traveled by MXers than walkers in any great numbers (enjoying the peace and quiet of the countryside). they are also very wide with a very long line of  sight. obviously if it's busy then we'll moderate what we do.

i will be a most fun time i'm sure. Probably wont really matter what bike you ride either, certainly a full DH rig would be too cumbersome unless ridden really well.... so basically i'm comfortable with it all, though i'll believe it hppens when if actually does... bit of chaos no doubt will plague the logistics i'm sure.

tlr

• forum abuser
    • Myportfolio
#823 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
March 13, 2008, 07:51:34 pm
Doc, does that mean that you up for a bit of roading this weekend or not? Saturday looks like the better day at the moment. Saturday afternoon by preference for me. Sunday looks shit but I'll ride then too if its reasonable.

Tim

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#824 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
March 14, 2008, 10:17:54 am
only time i got is sunday morning for roading.

need to find out what the rest of my household is up to before i confirm..

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal