UKBouldering.com

Leg shavers anonymous (Read 573394 times)

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#725 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 26, 2008, 10:13:40 am
Very nice! Could do with a second bottle cage for the Eroica - maybe something large enough to acomodate a wine bottle though... :alky:

Yossarian

• forum hero
#726 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 26, 2008, 10:40:53 am
bloody hell, not likely. well, not until near the end! and i think i am going to disguise a load of powerbars by wrapping them up in brown paper and string. and caffeine gel in a battered old hipflask.

the footwear thing is troubling me slightly though, as wearing SPDs is not really the done thing. but there's inevitably going to be some walking involved and i'm certainly going to crash a few times. so it's either some kind of normal shoes with the clips, or some retro styled mtb SPD shoes.

as an aside, i am organising a london to brighton night ride on saturday 19th july. i say "organise", what i really mean is telling a load of people to turn up at trafalgar square at 11pm. bit of a trek for most of you chaps, but i thought i'd mention it anyway.

Yossarian

• forum hero
#727 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 26, 2008, 12:31:40 pm
actually, bollocks. you don't get a "special prize" (a blowjob from the daughter of the mayor of gaiole perhaps?) unless you use clips and straps, so that's what it's going to have to be...

Fatleg

• addict
#728 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 27, 2008, 07:36:02 am
Very nice Yossarian. Even looks in good conditon - which I am sure it won't after the trip to Italy.

Yossarian

• forum hero
#729 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 27, 2008, 08:08:07 am
Er yes. I will just have to make sure that my body takes most of the abuse in any crashes.

Baron

• obsessive maniac
#730 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 27, 2008, 01:01:33 pm
Percy,

I'm interested in that bike of yours. Could we arrange a viewing?

Fatleg

• addict
#731 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 27, 2008, 07:24:42 pm
What is the etiquette on drafting? Somebody drafted off me for around three miles today up hill. I didn't even know the person and he didn't even attempt a conversation or thank me for the ride up a hill into a head wind. Percy how much do you want for that Colnago?

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#732 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 27, 2008, 07:33:41 pm
Dunno - make me an offer... It rides OK, but the frame needs a bit of loving. All the other bits are new or work ok, so its perfect for somebody who wants to restore it to its former glory. If you boys want a look, I'll take it down the Works one night and you can check it out. When's good for you guys?

As for grabing somebodies wheel for a free ride - its a bit rude not to engage in a bit of friendly banter, even if its just to say "I'm knackered - do you mind if I ride behind you for a bit?!?" Unless of course, you're trying so hard to stay on a wheel that you can't talk, although I haven't got behind many people I can't do a turn on the front for. Maybe he was just checking out your arse, Fatleg? :-\

Fatleg

• addict
#733 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 27, 2008, 07:40:44 pm
Thats what I thought checking my arse out. I'm around Friday all day- any good to check the colnago out?

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#734 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 27, 2008, 08:08:02 pm
Dunno - make me an offer... It rides OK, but the frame needs a bit of loving. All the other bits are new or work ok, so its perfect for somebody who wants to restore it to its former glory. If you boys want a look, I'll take it down the Works one night and you can check it out. When's good for you guys?

As for grabing somebodies wheel for a free ride - its a bit rude not to engage in a bit of friendly banter, even if its just to say "I'm knackered - do you mind if I ride behind you for a bit?!?" Unless of course, you're trying so hard to stay on a wheel that you can't talk, although I haven't got behind many people I can't do a turn on the front for. Maybe he was just checking out your arse, Fatleg? :-\

that'll be me on all my rides with perc so far, very accomadating chap!

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#735 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 27, 2008, 08:52:29 pm
Friday morning any good Fatleg? I'll be in the Works - the closed sign will be on the door, but give it a push and bobs your uncle!

I might need to go behind you at the weekend, Jon - 20mph winds forecast and my Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome (sore knees) mean I need to take it easy. Any possiblity of a tow-rope? Still mad for it, though....been resting and tweaking my bike set-up so hopefully should see an improvement in the knee pain thing soon.

Fatleg

• addict
#736 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 27, 2008, 08:56:46 pm
Friday am should be cool i'll pop down then cheers.

Yossarian

• forum hero
#737 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 27, 2008, 09:40:03 pm
I might be in Shef on Sat 8th, and could always bring a bike with me in case anyone fancies a ride. Or a look at my arse. However, I have barely been out 5 times this year, and am carrying a considerable weight, so any ride would almost certainly have to be punctuated with a number of pauses.

I am quite keen for a Peak beasting though.

I was in an early season road race last year (a bad idea) and was on the wheel of a couple of bunches and in each case I couldn't speak at all.

One of my Eroica contacts (a supplier of rare and prescribed Campag components) advised me today that one of his friends who managed a sub 57 minute 25 mile TT in the 1960s said that the 2006 Eroica was the hardest thing he'd ever done.

I was going to reply that the hardest thing I've ever done was to pop into Vivienne Westwood during the sale knowing that my credit card was already maxed out, but I didn't think he's appreciate the message that I was trying to get across.

Baron

• obsessive maniac
#738 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 28, 2008, 07:20:22 am
I'm at work Friday morning. Thats ok tho, I should really spend the money on paying off my fridge. Or some Open Pros with 105 hubs...

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#739 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 28, 2008, 08:58:24 am
I'm plotting a route for friday....

these winds look  serious.....

I'm out sunday too perc...

just gonna see if i can get this bootcamp thingie to run my memorymap... could be sets up and down the A6 at bakewwell or reps of the froggatt hill if its too windy to wander up to mam tor... i've blown off twice now in  3 weeks.. not funny.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#740 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 28, 2008, 09:11:05 am
i've blown off twice now in  3 weeks

Who was the lucky guy? Sorry, i couldn't resist ;D

Friday and Sunday are going to piss it down :(

tlr

• forum abuser
  • tim-russon.myportfolio Instagram tim_russon
    • Myportfolio
#741 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 28, 2008, 09:15:14 am
I'll be on for a Sunday ride I reckon. Reps of Froggatt or even Curbar hills will be a good idea if the weather is too foul and windy to risk the A623.

9am at Beauchief.

Tim

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#742 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 28, 2008, 09:29:57 am
cool. see you there Tim.

map issues a plenty here, arse....

Dolly

• forum hero
#743 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 28, 2008, 10:03:04 am
If its too wet to climb then I might get out for a couple of hours as well.
Whats the planned route FD ?

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#744 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 28, 2008, 10:51:06 am
Fridays weather looks utter shite - very windy. What time you going out Fri, FD? Might be keen for a spot of misery - knees coming good I think! If I get out I might need to be a bit more specific with a time for Colnago viewing, Fatleg....I'll let you know once I know what the doc has in store...

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#745 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 28, 2008, 10:55:22 am
Reeewind... Friday morning atcually looks good for a ride - cold, clear and 12mph winds- crapping out big style later with gales forecast. You keen FD? Might push colnago viewing back to lunchtime Fatleg - still OK?

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
#746 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 28, 2008, 02:16:56 pm
Fatdoc, great to see you doing all this road training for our 24h mtb race event.  Guess you'll be up for at least 12 hours out of the 24 now?  I see Dolly is coming out (?) with you too now that he is too scared to go mtb'ing. 

I'll settle for a few hours out in Calderdale on the mtb and a beer after in the boozer with Dr Smith.   :goodidea:

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#747 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 28, 2008, 02:42:27 pm
just groaning after 78km at 23kph.. baslow - abney - monselhead - ashford - bakewell - chatsworth - baslow - owler - holmesfield - home

got a story for you....

you're 60km in... hate the baslow hill, decide that length of hill that far into a ride would surly be good for fitness.. got to be a good simulation for the sportive that is now looming into the near future (and despite getting the ragging shits from a free work lunch the day before you're out riding - so what the hell)... 100m up you catch with some old roadie geeeza... he's  taking it well steady... using the same gear ratio but hardly seems to be trying... he's going just too slow for it to feel comfy drafted in behind, so you scoot past, say hello and drop in to let him settle on your wheel... he sticks to it like glue. I'm getting a bit of a gasp going - failing to keep to by blessed hill speed of 16kph... he starts chatting!

He's *taking it easy* cos his chain is about to explode... he's retired... 70 years of age and rides near every day  :o

has to said on the final bit of the hill he did looks as shagged as i felt, and did drop back once we summited, but fair play or what!!

tomorrow... got a window of 9:30 to be home by 14:15 latest... feel a bit battered and sore now... i'll post later to see how i feel in a few hrs.. have to be shortish... or you guys go out without me and we'll all catch up on sunday... off for coffee and to eat the contents of the freezer!

route for sunday??

well...

it's percy's turn to choose..

he's been badgering me (not a roadie activity) to go burb bridge - under stanage - bamford - hope - edale MAM NICK - sparrowpit - stoney - home via froggatt. TBH it looks all OK, except for the 2.5 mile horror of mam nick.

if that's not on (cos of percy's knee and the mam nick gradient) I suggest we do what i did today...

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#748 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 28, 2008, 06:31:59 pm
Yo FD. How about 9.30 tomorrow at the beauchief and then a quick coupla hours - I give you my Owler Bar, Hathersage, Bradwell, Bradwell Dale (a bit steep at the top), Tideswell, Stoney and back up Froggatt/Baslow Hill (as you like) loop of justice, or any variation on a theme. We'll piss that in 2 hours - I got some new gay spangly tights so I can't hang around in case anybody sees me! Knee feeling a bit better, but shoulders sore from a session on the rings at the Works. You keen?

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#749 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 28, 2008, 06:50:20 pm
i'll be there...

may be 5 mins late..

have the right to turn in home early if my chaffes get bad!!

i'll txt a mate, you'll like him - he's well quick!!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal