UKBouldering.com

Leg shavers anonymous (Read 573776 times)

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#700 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 14, 2008, 06:23:53 pm
Nice ride today with the doc. My computer says 2500 calories burned, and 3400 feet of climbing. Your days of saying you're a roadie punter are limited Jon!  8)

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#701 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 14, 2008, 07:56:32 pm
my computer the same, with an av 24kph... thanks for waiting on the hills mate.. I'm not in a good way now after having eaten [classic fatdoc - 500g of medium rare steak in a mustad vinegrette and a tub of salad, with 2 cans of lager and 2 glasses of sparkling rose,  :pissed: ], in fact I've  an hour's work on the computer than I'm off to bed! Shocking state of affairs when the kids go to bed after you.. there's a taste of the future!!

saturday morning ride as advertised on here guys.. 8:30 beauchief hotel... even percy is considering it! not as harsh (in elevation) but longer (just... 86 km ish..), defo dont want to go down the usual forum ride planning clique here - all are truly welcome... after all - we're climbers first and foremost..

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#702 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 15, 2008, 09:12:09 am
This guys done a fair few miles recently. :jaw:

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#703 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 15, 2008, 06:16:32 pm
I'm calling off the ride on saturday  :'(

cant make it cos of family stuff...

soz

be out next weekend though, sorry guys.

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#704 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 15, 2008, 08:25:57 pm
Good call! I've just spent all day routesetting on the 24 metre endurothon wall at Sunderland so the thought of hauling my arse out of bed at 7am for brekkie again wasn't looking that appealing (and its forecast to be -5 degrees tonight too - could be a little fresh on the extremities at eight thirty in the morning). I vote for a lie-in followed by an afternoon out on the grit. Bike will wait until Sunday for me I think.

tlr

• forum abuser
  • tim-russon.myportfolio Instagram tim_russon
    • Myportfolio
#705 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 18, 2008, 09:49:23 am
No worries, I went out both days anyway, 75km/1600m on Saturday and 50km/1200m on Saturday. I even managed to get out bouldering as well.

I can't do next weekend as I'm off skiing for 3 days but I should be up for it after that again.

Tim

Fatleg

• addict
#706 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 18, 2008, 05:16:17 pm
Anyone else mad enough to freeze their arse of this morning commuting to work. Must has been minus 5 or something and despite loads of clothing and two pairs of gloves I was bloody frozen.

Got out on Saturday for a proper ride 68miles, which I thought was alright.

Think I need some warmer gay tights if the weather stays his cold

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#707 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 20, 2008, 09:21:28 am
Here's one for all you rubber-neckers...... I was very careful at the velodrome yesterday, fearful of emmulating these guys! Click the huge cycling crash link...
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/embedvideo.html?p=18#

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#708 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 20, 2008, 09:59:28 am
There's just no way I'm commuting in this. I've done it about 50% of the time this year... -1 or -2 is fine... but -6

fuck off...

you can wear a few layers and be OK at the milder temps... but when it gets to what it's been the last couple of days there's just NO way i can keep warm... and 16km totally frozen each way with a 10 hr working day inbetween is not on!!

I'm not working today... umming and arring.. got the bike on the trainer looking at me with menaces... but it seems to be getting  a bit warmer... could get out.. hmmm....

you lot are certainly getting the miles in - I feel some peer pressure coming on here!

Fatleg

• addict
#709 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 20, 2008, 01:22:48 pm
Got to get the miles in - sportive season looms.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#710 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 20, 2008, 02:12:25 pm
weather ace for sunday morning.. i.e: above freezing! be too warm for grit anyway  :whistle:

9 a.m beauchief? so far it's perc and me..

BTW.. moral to anyone with a variable resistance turbo trainer.. check the resistance setting before embarking on a 40 min cadance based leg churn from hell. Or you will find it seems a damn sight harder than it's meant to  :wall:  I wondered why I near died on the sprint part of the session

Fatleg

• addict
#711 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 20, 2008, 04:50:33 pm
Bit like when I was riding to work in the freezing fog /snow yesterday. I was going up yet another Sheffield hill,thinking this seems steeper than normal only to realise at the top that I had not changed down gears. Oh well maybe it'll make me stronger

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#712 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 20, 2008, 04:52:09 pm
Oh well maybe it'll make me stronger

Only if it doesn't kill you  :P

Yossarian

• forum hero
#713 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 24, 2008, 10:46:43 am
following my purchase of a very fine late 70s colnago, i have decided to enter this - http://www.eroica.it/

anyone else up for it?!

Fatleg

• addict
#714 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 24, 2008, 06:58:45 pm
Fixed and single-speed only?

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#715 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 24, 2008, 07:36:29 pm
Modern bike catagory, or vintage bike... don't know what qualifies as a vintage bike though. Lots of people do this sportive on bikes from the 50's onwards with gears, freewheels, all mod cons. The website has various regulations, but doing this on an oldschool fixie would be hardcore! What ever you ride though, it looks great. I saw a load of pics somewhere of last years Eroica and it looks amazing. White gravel roads, riders covered in white dust, nasty hills and descents, a full-on spicy day out. What distance do you fancy, Yosser? The real deal, or a shorter version?

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#716 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 24, 2008, 07:38:50 pm
next sunday Perc is going to help me pop my mam nick cherry, with a little jaunt over to sparrowpit, returning via stoney and froggatt...

9 a.m at the beauchief if any of you sheff based fellow masochists are up for it..

Yossarian

• forum hero
#717 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 24, 2008, 07:57:24 pm
i'm going to send my entry form in tomorrow, for the full distance. no point going all the way to italy for anything less...

some people ride it with modern bikes and kit, but the majority go for the proper period gear. i'd be surprised if many people do the full course on proper old fixed wheel bikes though. i'm sure there are some, but you've got to be a bloody lunatic to try that.

i need a new set of wheels and freewheel for the colnago, cos i'm not riding tubs on all those gravel bits and a 12-18 cassette is going to be pretty painful. i think 14-25 would be a touch more sensible.

and wine at the feeding stations! just need a pouch of speed to complete the true retro experience...

chappers

• forum hero
#718 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 25, 2008, 03:34:42 pm

Fatleg

• addict
#719 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 25, 2008, 09:42:43 pm
All I need now is an old colnago to ride, anybody know where I can get hold of one?

Yossarian

• forum hero
#720 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 25, 2008, 09:47:21 pm
not for sale, but fucking tasty...
http://www.raydobbins.com/mexicooro/

i'm already shitting it re the eroica. due to my penchant for falling off, plus the possibility of having to walk up hills i am already considering utilising some retro styled spd shoes rather than the original top clipped pedals. i found these awesome adidas classic styled carbon shoes, but there's no way i'm walking up gravel hills in carbon soled £120 racing shoes.

i will be walking. oh dear.

Fatleg

• addict
#721 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 25, 2008, 10:03:37 pm
Yossarian what are you riding? Or can you borrow that lovely colnago?

Yossarian

• forum hero
#722 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 25, 2008, 10:26:31 pm
i'll post a picture tomorrow...

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#723 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 26, 2008, 08:22:24 am
If anybody fancies a retro bike then you can make me an offer on this beast

http://www.scarpa.co.uk/team/gallery.asp?TeamID=11&Year=2006&Month=12

Basically if you offer enough to pay for the new bits I put on it - it's yours (there's probably £125 of replacement bits on it - new calipers,levers, front and rear mech, saddle and cables). However, buyer beware....its not all good. The campag seatpin is rusted into the down tube - probably just needs bullying out but I couldn't shift it....I didn't try that hard though. And the frame is a bit rusty in places, not bad, but cosmetically slightly upsetting. Its most noticable when little rust spots have come through the chroming on the forks. I have used it a bit this winter, but basically have had to come to terms with the fact that I can't deal with retro bike horror. I already had the original rear mech explode on me ('cos the spring that tensions the chain had lost its springyness) and it is not a good size for me - I so desperately want it to fit but I'm just a bit too tall - the frame would be perfect for a rider 5'9" to 6'0". To cut a long story short, wrong size = bad knees, and although it is an amazing ride and I love it dearly, it is destined to gather dust in my garage for ever more unless someone wants it.

On the plus side, it has the original Colnago crankset on it (as in the pictures on the Ray Dobbins site) - old school 42-52 ratios. And original bars, stem - you can even have the original wheels (its got a modern pair on in the pic - it came with some lovely beefy bespoke wheels which I still have...campag hubs and Mavic rims, and a 6 speed cassette).

You'd look the business repairing this at the side of the road at the Eroica along with all the other guys on retro bikes that will fall apart over the course! ;)

« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 08:38:23 am by Percy B, Reason: Premature pressing of the post button »

Yossarian

• forum hero
#724 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 26, 2008, 10:06:29 am

not a great picture, but you get the idea. i think some slightly wider bars, brooks leather bar tape, new wheels (just bought some super record hubs to have built up with something strongish) and tyres, and then it'll be ready for my beasting...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal