UKBouldering.com

Leg shavers anonymous (Read 573460 times)

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#675 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 08, 2008, 06:04:25 pm
I bought a Giant SCR1 through cycle scheme last summer and put an 07 filte gel on it. Then my school pulled out of said agreement leaving me with an extra £400 of debt. Nice.

Whatever, I kane it from Heeley to Hillsborough every day pretty much. 10 mile round trip. When the weather's nice I might even go for a ride in the Peak. I guess I'm saying I would be interested in going for a potter with you guys sometime. My knee hurts occasionally, and could we stop at a cafe too? I always thought that cycling to Raven Tor would be rather glamorous. Imagine doing Mecca in Lycra. Oh hang on, that were 1986.

Incidently, is it true you can buy excellent shorts from Aldi?

Baron,

you're more than welcome to ride with me. Mate & I going for the loop I mentioned above on sunday. 8:30 beauchief pub on abbeydale rd..
Have you seen the weather forecast?? It's amazing!!! alternate bouldering / riding for me for 7 days then! ;D (hols time!!!, finally got lucky with winter weather, ace!)

Getting boiled in the bag on the commute last couple of days, time to relinquish the fleece lined tights and get the intermediate weight jerseys and sleeveless underlayers out. Already in summer gloves  ;D ;D

BTW, good effort on mecca in 1986.... some few years before the 1st ascent??  ;)

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#676 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 08, 2008, 07:09:26 pm
Busy this w/end, but could be psyched for a morning ride next week, Doc. You keen? Took delivery of my replacement winter bike today, after an angst ridden couple of weeks without. Thank you ride2work scheme and Planet X. You wait and see - a beautiful thing! Now training can start in earnest for the Cat....

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#677 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 08, 2008, 08:56:33 pm
my current (flexible cos I'm looking after the kids as well) plan is: saturday - burb boulders en famile, sunday morn ride (confirmed 8:30 start at the beauchief pub - one other so far), monday brimham (en famile), tues morn - same ride as sunday- as long as I'm not dead or legs totally fucked from sunday-  i'd prefer an early start on that one, weds - peak grit en famile or caley... , thurs morn same ride (ish...) i'm working friday... sat ride early (again same plan), sunday working...

weekday morning rides can be started anytime (ish) in the week from 7 a.m onwards, to suit others.

please remember that I'm really shit before joining in!

all welcome of course...

those of us that are in the sportives.... get your miles in boys and girls!!

Baron

• obsessive maniac
#678 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 08, 2008, 09:20:19 pm
Cripes Doc your loop may be a little too much for my weedy legs, but I could certainly ride with you guys some of the way. Thing is I'm off to Gogarth on Monday for a few days. Wouldn't want to furnish myself with any convenient excuses like "I can't walk" or "my leg loops will chaff my saddle sores". Might well see you Sunday then.

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#679 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 09, 2008, 07:42:38 am
Doing the family thing this w/end - royal visit to the folks! Velodrome on Tues morning, but could well be up for a do on Thursday Doc. Will keep you posted!

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#680 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 09, 2008, 06:12:18 pm
Cripes Doc your loop may be a little too much for my weedy legs, but I could certainly ride with you guys some of the way. Thing is I'm off to Gogarth on Monday for a few days. Wouldn't want to furnish myself with any convenient excuses like "I can't walk" or "my leg loops will chaff my saddle sores". Might well see you Sunday then.

8:30, beauchief pub on abbeydale rd. dont worry if you cant make this one, there will be others!  There's only me and a roadie mate from work going - he is playing the i'm not fit card.. i dont believe him - but he'll wait for us! I'll have a look on here first thing tomorrow, let me know if you'll be coming - we'll hang on for you if you're a bit late! no elitist club rules here!

With sore skin from the awesome day today has been it seems like a good option for me.
one day on bike, one day on climbing.... it doesnt get much better than this!

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#681 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 10, 2008, 08:09:50 am
PMed you my mobile, I'm off!

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#682 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 10, 2008, 07:44:26 pm
Yo Doc. Weather too good for indoors at the V'drome, so might well join you for a spin out on Tuesday, if you're still keen/uninjured ;)
Word on the street is that the Snake Pass is still closed and will reopen this wednesday - until then its a closed road that you can ride your bike over in peace and quiet (and hopefully relative safety too!) It could be a good option if you want a longer/steady ride - Glossop and back? Or whatever you want.... I'll PM you my moblie no. if I can work out how to do it...

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#683 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 11, 2008, 08:17:47 am
soz, bad skin en famille has delayed climbing plans.... after a tub of climb on my lads have unresolved issues at burbage boulders, so climbing tues now ( fair go to the little uns, it is their half term). bizarrely i think i may be getting a little fitter, 1st 50 miler with no leg pain the day after at all today! that snake pass would have been good, damn!

cold, isnt it!

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#684 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 11, 2008, 09:40:29 am
Nooooo! Who wheel am I going to follow now?!?! No worries - I will be out most days this week. If you're heading out give us a bell and we'll hook up.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#685 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 11, 2008, 01:59:30 pm
Open invite to all:

the ride I describe above, 8:30 beauchief pub on this saturday morning...

tlr

• forum abuser
  • tim-russon.myportfolio Instagram tim_russon
    • Myportfolio
#686 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 11, 2008, 04:51:32 pm
50 miles or so you say? I could well be up for that.

If I get left behind I can always make my own way home.

Tim

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#687 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 11, 2008, 08:44:32 pm
As I say, open to all...
so far there's 3... me. someone fitter than me (who'll wait) and someone less fit... this really isnt a lycra fitness show - we all need the fitness... and arnt proud.. you're slow? so what...

come along!!

need confirmation the night before - that's all!

(dont want to wait in near freezing air temps for a no show... once you're there patience not an issue - you'll probs beat me up the first hill anyway)

tlr

• forum abuser
  • tim-russon.myportfolio Instagram tim_russon
    • Myportfolio
#688 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 12, 2008, 01:27:44 pm
Shouldn't be a problem (apart from getting up at 8am...).

How do you want me to confirm? I can virtually guarantee that I'll be there - I need to rack those miles up.

If you mail me your number I'll text you Friday night.

Tim

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#689 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 12, 2008, 04:45:36 pm
The Snake Pass is still closed, and should be for a bit longer yet judging by the two large holes in the road, and nobody doing any work on them! However, you can ride your bike along it it perfect peace and quiet. Just been out for a do along it and it was amazing - a beautiful day and an amazing road to ride on when there is no traffic. The descent is brilliant cos you can use all the road - just as well when your going in excess of 70 kph! Get in while you still can - once its opened one of the current best rides in the Peak will be ruined (until the road subsides again, next year...)

Fatleg

• addict
#690 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 12, 2008, 04:58:24 pm
Agree Percy I rode it on Monday and it was bliss, no twats in white vans trying to kill you. How much longer is it closed for?

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#691 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 12, 2008, 07:48:28 pm
perc,

i presume the weather will be OK on thurs...

I'm going up the snake mate! got ALL day pass out from the family  ;D

What's the best way there and back? I presume you have it embroiled into a circuit?? or is it big enough in itself? Are you still free?

anyone else!!???

(i know i can descend,... but 70 kph!!.. fuck me i'm impressed)

tlr [Tim]... i'll PM you my mobile for saturday mate.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#692 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 12, 2008, 08:08:57 pm
Fatdoc!

How come you don't use rubber medical gloves instead of constant hand washing and soft skin problems?  Would they help?

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#693 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 12, 2008, 08:46:48 pm
Knew you'd swing it Doc! Assuming the weather is simular to today I reckon midday kickoff to allow the ice to melt. I suggest  Beauchief, Owler Bar, Fox House, Hathersage, Bamford, Ladybower, Snake, round the roundabout in Glossop and back, (or just spin around on the top of the Snake if goosed)! Short version gives you about 80+ Kms with around 1000 metres climbing, long version is longer and gains considerably more altitude. I normally decide on the top if I want to go all the way to Glossop - you need a few beans to get back up the hill (I bonked so badly on this last year, I was close to tears - rationing tiny sips of my last gel!)

I was told that the Snake was to reopen tomorrow, but seeing as there is 2 massive holes in the road and there was no-one up there working today, I doubt it will reopen before the weekend. That said, if it ain't closed on Thursday we can head off on a magical mystery tour, (but probably taking in Yorkshire Bridge, Mam Nick, etc, etc...)

Either way, you're on. See you at 12 on Thurs at the beauchief hotel. Anybody else, feel free....the more the merrier!

PS: All this assumes that I will be able to walk unassissted tomorrow!

LucyB

• Trusted Users
  • obsessive maniac
#694 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 13, 2008, 09:45:27 am
[quote
PS: All this assumes that I will be able to walk unassissted tomorrow!
[/quote]

PPS And that he asks his fine, fat, lady-friend for a pass out on Valentines Day...

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#695 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 13, 2008, 11:20:17 am
 :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

whoops. Bit over rated the valentine thing I reckon..!!

I'm doubtful of the fitness to get back from glossop, esp as you still gotta get back to sheff somehow!!

but yeah, I'll there at 12!!

(off to buy kilo of energy gel...)

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#696 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 13, 2008, 11:47:54 am
Whoops! Don't worry - my lovely tubby lady has given me the all clear (and anyway, its a bit late for a Valentines card to express my intentions seeing as she's got a bun in the oven!) Forgat all about the Valentines day bollocks  :-[

The embarrasment of getting busted on an internet forum will take some getting over though....!

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#697 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 13, 2008, 12:05:01 pm
er... working out times and stuff.... could we make it 11:30... or are you taking lights!!!!!

(i'll take mine if you take yours!!)

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#698 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 13, 2008, 12:57:45 pm
Lights? Don't think you'll need them to be honest. I went out at half 1 yesterday and was back home just after 4. Not even dusky when I got back. We should piss it starting an hour and a half earlier. (The previous comment should fit well into the forthcoming 'famous last words' thread, i reckon)

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#699 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 13, 2008, 07:17:05 pm
oh fuck...

Ok. see you at 12 at the beauchief!!

snake, closed... cool!!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal