UKBouldering.com

Leg shavers anonymous (Read 573405 times)

saltbeef

• forum hero
#650 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 07, 2008, 11:37:47 am
Houdini Fuck off.
I earn my wages. I spend my money on what i like. i graft HARD. I deserve what i get. This thread is quite useful for both mountain biking and roadie stuff, especially as a beginner. your posts are off topic, and smack of attention seeking... most people i know who post on ukb generally get out and do the sports they spend money on. I may not be an ace biker, i don't want to be, i'm an enthusiastic amateur. i work too hard and spend too much time climbing to be good, but i don't get fucking overtaken cycling to work. generally i find your sentiments entertaining but put a fucking sock in it and stop trolling. if you post anymore shit on hear i'm gonna fucking smite you hard.
for you other peeps, just been on the turbo for my hour session, found it on some triathlon site, my legs are fucked. (hopefully it won't affect my punter toproping session at the wall this evening.)

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#651 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 07, 2008, 11:52:16 am
houdini mate, you just dont get it. Find someones light road bike and take it for a spin, then you'll realise why my roadbike is on 0% interest free credit!

Oh, and change your daughter's name by deed poll, Joquasta is a name she will hate you for forever.

Perc... i agree with the horrendous weather!! it's been 10mph max for me up the abbeydale road over the last few weeks, yesterday i was in the 2nd lowest gear my compact has  :o

windtunnel or what!!

I'm up for some rides, my substandard is clear for all to see, anyone blazing off will drop me - like i care!

I'll be out every sunday morning I'm not working from now till mid april... 70 to 90km at the mo, all local to sheff: abbeydale, baslow, grindleford, abney, eyam, calver, back to grindleford, hathersage, castlton, then back to hathersage... up to burbage (easy way via higgar) then across to the owler bar and holmesfield to a61 and back to sheff via norton..various bits get cut out of the ride depending on weather / knee / back... this vaguely mimics the hills / elevation of the cheshire cat sportive - though it's not as lonng...

in this weather 4hrs... with choccy bar at castleton and choccy bar at burbage...

saltbeef

• forum hero
#652 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 07, 2008, 12:02:16 pm
sounds good, this weekend i'm working. following weekend i might well be down, just depends on whether i'm preparing for job interviews, but they seem to be backwards in coming forward at the moment...

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#653 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 07, 2008, 12:11:15 pm

saltbeef

• forum hero
#654 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 07, 2008, 12:15:59 pm
its not uncommon for me to say that. you don't get a medal.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#655 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 07, 2008, 12:19:08 pm
Ditto.  Captain Defensive.

Puntering won't change my opinions Boeuf - come down hard, no.  Hardest of all.    Wouldn't it be shit if everyone thought the same?

Relax brother

webbo

• forum hero
#656 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 07, 2008, 12:32:54 pm
will you be running your 1/2 marathon barefoot.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#657 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 07, 2008, 12:43:13 pm
I'll be doing it on my hands, pops  ;)   But probably not in a 200 quid pair tho.

(Off topic but that's sometimes the beauty of the internet so bear w/ me or skip this post.  NO no no - boeuf is right and wrong in equal measure in his rant up top.  1st his attention seeking gag is daft and doesn't bare much resemblence to how I conduct and have conducted myself in my life (and climbing - if you want) .  That's the nature of the forum:  I seek your opinion - you seek mine by replying.  I fight against exactly what beef overly defends himself with.  Yes it's your money spend it how you wish but the logical conclusion to everyone doing such is we end up w/ the USA, 6% population and 60% consumption.  I think people are spend and gear crazy.  That was the point underneath my posts - FatDoc is quite some consumer, his posts display that.  I don't like this charcteristic - but like a lot of things in life it's not something I can change.  As for the karma system: phooey w/ a side order of bullshit.  Do as you will.  Balls if we don't share opinions - it don't matter - all that matters is that we get to express them.)     

webbo

• forum hero
#658 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 07, 2008, 12:51:27 pm
 i wait with bated breath to hear your time.will it be a new european record or will they be timing you in with a calendar.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#659 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 07, 2008, 12:52:52 pm
(Probably w/ planetary position Webbo  ;D  If I can actually juggle work and get it on.)

saltbeef

• forum hero
#660 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 07, 2008, 12:53:47 pm
Wouldn't it be shit if everyone thought the same?
yes.

but... what the fuck is your point? everyone who has posted on this thread appears to be keen enough to be getting out regularly on their steeds. there aren't any freeloaders, all have paid for their bikes, and have probably sacrificed something else for that. so why not? I got mine cheap.
 you're having a pop at the wrong people. its obvious that what irks you is people who have "all the gear and no idea" It pisses me off too. but what pisses me off more is being labelled as that.

(anyway, you've got some running to do,  i'll see you at the end of the half mazza for a beer)

now back to cycling...

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#661 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 07, 2008, 12:59:16 pm
One can understand the angst and concerns the escapologist has.

valid and interesting points, but with all respect I feel the above posts have at least confronted those for you.

If you were to start a new thread on consumerism I'm sure many on here would have much more to say. After all, the middle class activity of clambering over rocks is wonderfully eccentric and can be a rather aloof pastime.

Good luck on the running.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#662 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 07, 2008, 01:11:09 pm
I think you're both very sweet - and ta for the encouragement - I will try.

(Satire - the finest weapon of all . . .)

Fatleg

• addict
#663 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 07, 2008, 01:53:04 pm
Does it really matter if you spend thousands on a bike. As long as the wife gets a new handbag and the kids fed. Who really cares. I have a couple of nice bikes - one gets used all year for commuting, the other for training around the peaks etc - and yes its bloody hilly. I frequently overtake a chap on a nice cervelo on my way home - and yes I would love one - but don't have that kind of spare cash. He's heading towards 50 and probably falls into 'all gear, no idea' crowd, but at least he is trying to keep/get fit. When I first overtook him he was fat, slow and looked about to die. Now he gets up to a good speed. Yeah he doesn't need a bike which is used on le tour, but if he needs something nice to get out on to motivate him to improve his health and fitness then so be it. At least then he's less likely to need the use of the NHS.

Fatdoc I'm sure you are not that much of an amateur cycler if thats your Sunday route around the peak.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#664 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 07, 2008, 03:16:14 pm
I agree, it probably stems from professional jealousy or my micro . . .   :whistle:

webbo

• forum hero
#665 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 07, 2008, 03:20:43 pm
. I frequently overtake a chap on a nice cervelo on my way home - and yes I would love one - but don't have that kind of spare cash. He's heading towards 50 and probably falls into 'all gear, no idea' crowd, but at least he is trying to keep/get fit. When I first overtook him he was fat, slow and looked about to die. Now he gets up to a good speed. Yeah he doesn't need a bike which is used on le tour, but if he needs something nice to get out on to motivate him to improve his health and fitness then so be it. At least then he's less likely to need the use of the NHS.
how do you know he not in the last couple of miles of a 100 mile ride and therefore rather fatigued.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#666 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 07, 2008, 05:55:07 pm

Fatdoc I'm sure you are not that much of an amateur cycler if thats your Sunday route around the peak.

But i'm totally fucked after.... the extra flat leg to and from castleton is true murder. esp in the wind. if the weather keeps up i'll trying to do it in 4hrs on sunday  :'(

Baron

• obsessive maniac
#667 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 07, 2008, 07:02:29 pm
I bought a Giant SCR1 through cycle scheme last summer and put an 07 filte gel on it. Then my school pulled out of said agreement leaving me with an extra £400 of debt. Nice.

Whatever, I kane it from Heeley to Hillsborough every day pretty much. 10 mile round trip. When the weather's nice I might even go for a ride in the Peak. I guess I'm saying I would be interested in going for a potter with you guys sometime. My knee hurts occasionally, and could we stop at a cafe too? I always thought that cycling to Raven Tor would be rather glamorous. Imagine doing Mecca in Lycra. Oh hang on, that were 1986.

Incidently, is it true you can buy excellent shorts from Aldi?

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#668 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 07, 2008, 07:12:32 pm
Shorts from ALDI?  I'll look tomorrow for you.

Baron

• obsessive maniac
#669 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 07, 2008, 07:21:16 pm
Splendid. It might be Lidel but I couldn't remember how it was spelt.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#670 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 07, 2008, 07:25:54 pm
They're adjacent to each other where I live.  What product?   EXACTLY.

Baron

• obsessive maniac
#671 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 07, 2008, 07:35:51 pm
Hmm, lycra shorts with padding. I've only ever owned one pair and they're 6 years old. Is that a bit wrong? Cost per wear has turned out quite well. I even wash them.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#672 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 07, 2008, 07:39:52 pm
I'll see what I see.  I'll look in Penny Markt too and cover all low-rent options.  ;)

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#673 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 07, 2008, 07:45:12 pm
Incidently, is it true you can buy excellent shorts from Aldi?
Not sure I'd call them excellent, certainly cheap. My mountain biking winter tights are Aldi specials, very good for about £6, ideal for stuff that gets worn out/ripped fast. For basic cycling shorts/tops Decathlon are also super cheap. Aldi have biking stuff pretty regularly, but on occasion Lidl have some too but not nearly so often. Because their specials change 2 or 3 times a week if you want something specific subscribe to the newsletter at http://www.aldi.co.uk/ that will give you a heads up a few days ahead of them getting stuff in.

Fatleg

• addict
#674 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 08, 2008, 04:33:32 pm
dhb shorts from the Mr Wiggle company aren't bad. I use the bib tights for commuting to work. The pad is fine for rides up to 3 hours, and they seem to wash pretty well. The long tights are £30, not as good as Assos etc but for thrashing around town they are fine.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal