UKBouldering.com

Leg shavers anonymous (Read 573479 times)

Fatleg

• addict
#600 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
January 31, 2008, 10:03:20 pm
I popped into la bicicleta today to get some knee pedals. I rode speedplay and hated them, too much float. So I've gone for some time. The whole shop is like the cabinet you see in a normal bike shop which you have to ask to be opened. They have some lovely frames and seem to be able to build bikes with no weight, certainly sub UCI limits. They will even source a frame if its not one they normally stock, very friendly chaps - but I am getting married this year so I'll have to ban myself, although the Mrs wants a new bike as well!!!

Bowie

• addict
#601 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 01, 2008, 10:26:48 am
http://www.labicicleta.co.uk
I just made a mess looking at the the dalkiia carbon frame.
and it is affordable isn't it? (if i cut back on food. drink. mortgage etc)

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#602 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 01, 2008, 10:38:46 am
I'm asking bicicleta to have a look at my position when i've got my new pedals on my bike. I just need to be sure I'm not shagging my knee myself (if you know what I mean).

I'm in the process of coming out of denial that i need the attention of a surgeon.... could really do with out this i have to say. I'll persevere a bit longer!!

those speedplays i just dont on with them... they feel too slippy.... perhaps I need the renegrade knee brought back into line... I'm gonna give some Times a go I reckon..

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#603 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 01, 2008, 06:01:45 pm
http://www.shimano24.com/

How about a UKB team? I'd be keen... Teams of 5. Looks like fun?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#604 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 01, 2008, 07:28:27 pm

You have to remember that Fatdoc is the most accident prone man in the world - if you team up with him be prepared for some bizarre accidents resulting in horrific injury.

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#605 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 01, 2008, 07:32:51 pm
 ;D Good point well made, Bubs! There's a speeded up video of the course on the website, and some of the descents look like classic Fatdoc territory for a spectaular cropper! Roadrash, anybody?!?

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#606 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 01, 2008, 07:59:31 pm
Even more worrying then is the fact that I just entered the Cheshire Cat sportive, and Mr Cort is doing that too. I'll follow the trail of blood.....

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#607 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 01, 2008, 08:21:46 pm
it's DR to you.

anyways, I'm on the short course.. i'll be eatin yr dust i'm sure.

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#608 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 01, 2008, 08:47:13 pm
Whoops. Sorry, doc.

You still get Mow Cop on the short course? You won't want to miss that... only as steep as Winnats for the last bit so they say

Yossarian

• forum hero
#609 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 01, 2008, 08:50:07 pm

i'd be up for that. i have some fucking bright light and motion lights, and would be happy to take the night shift.

Fatleg

• addict
#610 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 02, 2008, 09:44:23 am
No Mow cop is not on the short course. You get an award this year for getting up it in one go.

Dolly

• forum hero
#611 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 02, 2008, 11:33:17 am

I might well be up for that - I wouldn't be very good mind but maybe thats not the point.
FD you up for it ?

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#612 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 02, 2008, 11:49:18 am
it does look very good...

need to check how that conflicts with the legbreaker... and i'm not able to log on to cyclosportive.org.

anyone?

dont worry about lights, i've got access to 2 enduro Maxx lights, that i'll give us 6 hrs on 700 lumens... you can DH on that!

Fatleg

• addict
#613 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 02, 2008, 02:23:24 pm
Get the extra bettery option and you'll run at maxx for even longer.

saltbeef

• forum hero
#614 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 02, 2008, 09:33:23 pm
word up home's got myself a condor italia from ebay. 380. ridden for 15 miles. fucking psyched....

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#615 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 03, 2008, 08:57:24 am
just let me know when you want your youth and natural strength to go out and pan my beer ridden soul matey...

BTW, not a good sport option when it's windy, got blown off on my big ride last sunday, not off the bike, horizontally lifted and blown onto the verge in the peak while still riding!!! MTB on a carbon road bike at 20 mph... interesting!

Bowie

• addict
#616 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 03, 2008, 08:58:19 am
word up home's got myself a condor italia from ebay. 380. ridden for 15 miles. fucking psyched....
:great:
nice work dude: the obsession begins.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#617 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 05, 2008, 12:19:54 pm
OK..

got the time off work and i'm free the friday afternoon...

need to talk to the missus about the shimano 24 to get the pass out for the weekend.

dont forget i'm not very good at this roadie lark... cant get the vid to work here at work so i'm totally oblivious to the true severity of the course - provisionally i'm up for it anyway!!!

Perc, I expect some sort of climbingworks sponsorship (i.e some clothing to keep warm when waiting for change overs... :P)

I'll bring huge wads of dressings and antiseptic. lights will be covered by Yoss & me...

a i have a 24 hr race already planned this year I'm not sure i can get to do this, BUT i'll try to get myself free..

As it stands:

Perc

Yoss

Me

saltbeef??? c'mon mate!!

Dolly??? get in matey!!!

webbo

• forum hero
#618 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 05, 2008, 12:37:54 pm
you will need a b.c.f. licence as its a race.also if you have no previous recent racing performances you still might not get in as it appears to be open to elite cat riders and they might not want punters :whistle: crashing in to them.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#619 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 05, 2008, 07:17:03 pm
fuck.

it has to be said that the 1st 24hr road race in the UK is well off IMO. where's the open category?

dont get me wrong, props to all the elite guys, but for fuck's sake, it's the 1st one - we all wanna go.

fair point with me being slow on the ups.... but what? with Yoss and me being more than happy to fly off drops at 25mph in a wood onto rooty landings i dont think we'd go slamming into them on the downs... it's a road!! how many of them night ride flat out regularly anyway? Most elites train like demons, which in winter means on a turbo....

it's sponsored by shimano, bunch of cunts. I have 4 bikes, and not one big S componant on any. oh, sorry... I have one skewer...

what's the appeal to the elites anyway? I thought the race calendar was full, with more than enough BC / UCI ratified events to go round. Surely the target audience should be the sportive rider? It's the growing market in roadie riding in the UK at present. 24hr riding on MTB has a wide and diverse following - not just the NPS XC racer types.

I'm well unhappy at this, it's too up it's own arse for it's own good.

>:(

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#620 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 05, 2008, 07:23:44 pm
Easy now.... Yes, you need to have a racing licence - British cycling are doing a deal on membership and licences for this event so it will involve money changing hands but should be no problem. If no one in the team has a current licence, we just join up and register for this event as Cat 4 racers..... The event is supposed to be open to Elite cat down to lowly cat 4's as far as I'm aware. Details on the website.

Yossarian

• forum hero
#621 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 05, 2008, 08:31:51 pm
i got a form through to renew my (vastly under-utilised) 2007 license the other day...

i never used my lights to jump off things at 25mph. they were mainly used when i went out for road rides last winter. i remember one occasion when an owl was sitting on a fence post eyeing me suspiciously as i rode panting towards him. quite eerie.

anyway, i'm up for it, as i could do with something to train for, so let me know if we're going to go firm (as they say...)

Dolly

• forum hero
#622 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 06, 2008, 12:17:50 am
I'm well unhappy at this, it's too up it's own arse for it's own good.
I agree mate. Typical bloody English roadie scene.
It appears to be all encompasing but then turns out to be the opposite - which explains the increase in the number of sportives in the last few years IMO.
No licence, no club, just turn up and ride for fun FFS.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#623 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 06, 2008, 08:12:24 am
Ok.

i was upset y'day i admitt. if you have to spend some wad on a licence thingie then fair enough. I reckon if it's that easy then  the event will be full of the sportive type rider anyway...

I'll look at the family calendar and get back today on whether I can go. If I can we'll pressgang Dolly.

Yossarian

• forum hero
#624 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
February 06, 2008, 05:30:23 pm
Why not just organise a nice long group ride for the UKB road club?

If there are 8 - 10 people it would be more fun that being in a group of 5 getting beasted for 24 hours against a load of whippet-thin cat 1s... wouldn't it?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal