UKBouldering.com

Leg shavers anonymous (Read 573338 times)

Palomides

• forum abuser
#2475 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
April 30, 2012, 09:40:11 am
Really impressive to see how he's learnt from the last three years. After crashing out of the Tour last year I remember seeing comments about how he'd wasted lots of opportunities to take other wins, as he'd focused exclusively on the Tour.

This year, even if he breaks some part of his spindly body in the first week, he's already had a good year! Unlike Cadel, and the Schlecks, who have either been ill, unmotivated or unfit.

Mind you, I'm not sure how he can even walk down a cobbled street without these ankles just snapping:

Talking of the Schlecks, wasn't Bruyneel threatening to send Fränk to the Giro without Andy some months ago? Now it's announced that Fulsgang has had a "training accident" and will be replaced in the Giro team by... Fränk   :-\

underground

• forum hero
#2476 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 05, 2012, 01:19:23 am

Lovely video of the CiCLE Classic...

(I seem incapable of embedding it though)
Are they riding 'proper' road bikes? You see my friend might just have become inspired to try one, but he is also thinking of doing the morning commute which a lot of the way of could be done on bridleways... Part of me keeps telling him to do as much of the off road as possible, and the other part says fucking have it, get used to it like those London couriers etc....

So, this friend is torn between a road bike, with 2 chainrings and a 'cross bike with a triple and all the screw holes....

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#2477 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 06, 2012, 05:19:06 pm
Compact chains and acarbon frame. Don't leave the road, and find a hilly route home.

The imortal words of Webbo om
N here...

Hills are be savoured

Your friend will learn agreat deal from the experience.

underground

• forum hero
#2478 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 06, 2012, 08:51:39 pm
My friends thinks that sounds expensive, and wonders what he should look out for in terms of potential used good buys?

And is that all-carbon, or forks with an alu frame?

fatkid2000

• junky
#2479 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 07, 2012, 09:09:01 pm
You could consider a cross bike - there's a few around with disc breaks now.

Or go for the proper roadie experience on a 53/39 & man up.

underground

• forum hero
#2480 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 07, 2012, 09:29:31 pm
Proper roadie experience it's to be. On a Bianchi

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#2481 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 07, 2012, 09:34:44 pm
Be warned, fatkid has thighs of steel....

When's the breaking in of the virgin ride?

fatkid2000

• junky
#2482 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 07, 2012, 09:56:31 pm
At least some Italian heritage there.

My new chris king wheel set arrives this week.

I'm currently thinking of a new road bike. It looks like disc breaks will become the norm once the uci gives in, when they do I'm very tempted with a parlee.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#2483 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 07, 2012, 10:09:59 pm
You damn bastard... Doing occasional roadie  50km training Runs to help me DH. Mtb I've got ever more scared of riding hard on the road...

Now I need to consider a new road bike  wheel set and all, just to  get a 15 yr old technology that actually makes me stop.this has has been a loooong time comin IMO

Arse....

About time, are they any good?

fatkid2000

• junky
#2484 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 07, 2012, 10:19:16 pm
Colnago's top end bike - p59 ? Is disced up. I think cannondale have one as well.

Think the only major issue from a stress / metal fatigue  is reworking the front forks.

Oh fatdoc - you have heard about electronic shifting?

Dolly

• forum hero
#2485 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 07, 2012, 10:25:45 pm
You damn bastard... Doing occasional roadie  50km training Runs to help me DH. Mtb I've got ever more scared of riding hard on the road...

Now I need to consider a new road bike  wheel set and all, just to  get a 15 yr old technology that actually makes me stop.this has has been a loooong time comin IMO

Arse....

About time, are they any good?
I've got a day01 steel framed crosser with alfine hub and discs. It's very good fun despite Norton warning me that they are what Southerners use for mountain biking. I've taken it onto Parkwood springs and Graves Park a couple of times and it's fine both on and off(gently) road. Stopping power is good as you'd expect and I didn't really notice the weight.

webbo

• forum hero
#2486 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 08, 2012, 01:41:59 pm
Just bought one of these http://www.orbea.com/gb-en/bicis/modelos/orca-slt/#presentacion .This was with the money I got in compo when I got knocked off.
I went for a compact as I felt age and general decrepitude's was making it harder to get up them hills. I liked the idea of a life time guarantee on the frame, alot of companies only offer a couple of years.

underground

• forum hero
#2487 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 09, 2012, 09:05:34 pm
Well, I did my first 10 miles last night. It was great - kind of a bit harder and a bit easier to pedal at the same time. It was a nice feeling to be sort of 'propelling' myself even in the easier gears rather than the way it seems on a mountain bike, spinning like f**k and crawling along up a hill. I didn't feel like I wanted to stop, nor waste the momentum I could carry even on harder stretches. I found that at 30mph downhill, it felt really fast, and although there was no way I was close to using all of the big gear or close to spinning out, I couldn't really pedal much harder/faster. A road bike is certainly no magic replacement for hard work but I'm going to enjoy putting it in.

Also found that my mini pump wasn't up to the job of 100 psi plus, nor were my cheap Decathlon shorts or DH gloves at cushioning me from the road, and skate shoes / toe straps are shit. And why you don't see roadies in baggy DH shorts or carrying a Camelbak.

fatkid2000

• junky
#2488 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 09, 2012, 09:26:49 pm
Underground get some proper pedals & shoes. The power transfer is so much better.

I'm near back to full fitness 15 min 25 for froggart hill - just another 1/2 stone to shift.

Duma

• forum hero
#2489 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 20, 2012, 04:57:54 pm
giro today was fucking amazing!

mr__j5

• menacing presence
  • Peter J
  • tall, bendy and weak
#2490 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 20, 2012, 06:25:45 pm
Yes it was. I find the Giro is generally more exciting than Le Tour.

More proper mountain stages and more people prepared to give it some aggression.

mikester

• regular
#2491 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 20, 2012, 06:38:48 pm
Just bought one of these http://www.orbea.com/gb-en/bicis/modelos/orca-slt/#presentacion .This was with the money I got in compo when I got knocked off.
I went for a compact as I felt age and general decrepitude's was making it harder to get up them hills. I liked the idea of a life time guarantee on the frame, alot of companies only offer a couple of years.

Nice wheels Webbo. I went for a compact too last year because I'm a wuss. Can't say I've really missed 53x11 around here, but confess to using the the 34x25 in the Moors. Oh yeah :strongbench:

First time out on the road bike for months today - the mind was willing but the body resisted for the whole of the paltry two hour ride. Got caught up in the bloody Yorkshire Road Race Champs as well - felt like a right wally as I crested a hill flanked by spectators, photographers, team cars etc.

Dutch

• regular
#2492 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 20, 2012, 10:31:12 pm
Looking for a bit of advice really and figured here might be as good a place as any to ask. Was thinking about getting back into some road cycling having not really done any for the last 6-7 years and was wondering if anyone had got any ideas on a decent bike(£600-700). Have looked at the usuals, specialized, cannondale, bianchi but not sure about others eg. Felt. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

mr__j5

• menacing presence
  • Peter J
  • tall, bendy and weak
#2493 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 21, 2012, 09:39:45 am
At that price range, I'd also look at Boardman, they are said to be good value for money.

clm

• forum hero
#2494 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 21, 2012, 05:38:13 pm
GET BACK TO THE CITY!!  :furious:

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#2495 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
May 21, 2012, 10:18:42 pm

fatkid2000

• junky
#2496 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
June 13, 2012, 10:09:00 pm
USADA have charged Lance Armstrong with providing blood samples consistent with EPO use or blood transfusions in 2010 triathlon season.

Will this confirm what we all suspect?

tomtom

• forum hero
#2497 Leg shavers anonymous
June 13, 2012, 10:23:03 pm
Just read Washington post article (soz no link) which suggests he was part of a large well organised doping ring going back to 1999... Lots just coming out on this and he's been barred from competing in Triathlons (his new game..)

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#2498 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
June 13, 2012, 10:47:27 pm
USADA have charged Lance Armstrong with providing blood samples consistent with EPO use or blood transfusions in 2010 triathlon season.

Will this confirm what we all suspect?

lets just fookin hope its the tip of the iceberg

Stubbs

#2499 Re: Leg shavers anonymous
June 13, 2012, 10:53:57 pm
Just read Washington post article (soz no link)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/lance-armstrong-faces-fresh-doping-charges-from-usada/2012/06/13/gJQAefnPaV_story.html

Banned from triathlon sounds like a reward rather than a punishment  ;)

In the 15-page charging letter obtained by The Post, USADA made previously unpublicized allegations against Armstrong, alleging it collected blood samples from Armstrong in 2009 and 2010 that were “fully consistent with blood ma­nipu­la­tion including EPO use and/or blood transfusions.” Armstrong has never tested positive.

Not sure I understand this

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal