UKBouldering.com

Better inside or outside (Read 2992 times)

Krank

• junky
  • VIVA LA CHAPEL
  • Its meant to be hard
Better inside or outside
April 26, 2007, 10:39:49 am
I have been bouldering at my local wall with a lad who is much better than me, inside i can push out V6 on a good day and he shoots up them no probs and can do the V8's which i cant touch. I bouldered with him outside for the first time last week and despite him being much better than me inside and having, in my opinion, much better footwork and better general style i could get up quite a few things he couldn't (I did itchy fingers at the newstones after a few tries but he didn't manage it). Do people find that they are better inside or outside or are most people similar at both aspects. cheers

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#1 Re: Better inside or outside
April 26, 2007, 10:42:50 am
I think training inside makes you good at climbing inside.  Plus indoor grading is often a little out.
The rock is where it's really at.

Krank

• junky
  • VIVA LA CHAPEL
  • Its meant to be hard
#2 Re: Better inside or outside
April 26, 2007, 10:48:49 am
Yeah thats what i think out is far better. It wasn't the grades so much as the large gap between our ability inside (him bein better) compared to outside (where i was better), just thought it would be the same but i guess i was wrong.

abarro81

• forum hero
#3 Re: Better inside or outside
April 26, 2007, 12:05:35 pm
i'm well crap indoors; it always surprises me how many people i chat to down the wall who seem way better/fitter/stronger than me and it turns out they climb the same stuff as me on real rock.

dave

#4 Re: Better inside or outside
April 26, 2007, 12:24:06 pm
its very easy to look like a good (or strong) climber indoors, particularly if you always go to the same wall, go very often, get to know the footholds, the tricks, get used to the style of problem setting etc. you see this at every wall. outside can be a different ballgame, particularly if you're at a crag which exposes any particular weaknesses, which many crags do.

Krank

• junky
  • VIVA LA CHAPEL
  • Its meant to be hard
#5 Re: Better inside or outside
April 26, 2007, 01:00:51 pm
Glad to hear that all these people who burn me off inside may not be as good as they seem. Grrr bloody plastic climbers grumble grumble ;)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#6 Re: Better inside or outside
April 26, 2007, 01:59:33 pm
Climbing indoors means nothing, it's just training. You spend too long training indoors, you get good at climbing indoors. Generally you find outdoor climbing (especially bouldering) to be less steep, more technique and balance.

Krank

• junky
  • VIVA LA CHAPEL
  • Its meant to be hard
#7 Re: Better inside or outside
April 26, 2007, 02:09:51 pm
Yeah this sounds about right cos its a 45 degree woodie that he kills me on.

(woz)

• forum abuser
#8 Re: Better inside or outside
April 26, 2007, 02:54:21 pm
I think training inside makes you good at climbing inside.  Plus indoor grading is often a little out.

I disagree. I think that bouldering indoors = good indoors, but training indoors makes you better at both (in + out). If it doesn't then the training methods are obviously wrong.

re climbingjohn: lots of people who are good indoors are nowhere near as good outdoors. I reccomend only climbing with this guy outside, preferrably on slabs/mantles/tiny crimps, until you break his spirit and he gives up climbing.

Krank

• junky
  • VIVA LA CHAPEL
  • Its meant to be hard
#9 Re: Better inside or outside
April 26, 2007, 03:03:11 pm
I like the fact that he is much better than me inside, so when we go out on the rock i feel like I'm climbing like a champion.  :thumbsup:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal