UKBouldering.com

Nearest / Best Venue to Crewe (Read 2591 times)

davek

Nearest / Best Venue to Crewe
April 22, 2007, 10:54:39 am
Hello All,

Could someone give me clue on the nearest and est venus to crewe please, or the guide book req'd if there is one.

Thanks
davek

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#1 Re: Nearest / Best Venue to Crewe
April 22, 2007, 11:16:20 am
Roaches/ Five Clouds/ Ramshaw etc I guess meets your requirements.

davek

#2 Re: Nearest / Best Venue to Crewe
April 23, 2007, 08:04:46 am
Yeah, I know of the roaches but guess I was hoping for a venue a little nearer than an hour after work.

Thanks though.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#3 Re: Nearest / Best Venue to Crewe
April 23, 2007, 08:28:37 am
Bosley cloud, Mow Cop, Heighley Castle quarries, ERF rocks are all a fair bit closer. In the other direction, could be worth checking how long it takes to get to the Shropshire/ Cheshire Sandstone crags.

Bosley is probably your best best though

BenF

• forum hero
#4 Re: Nearest / Best Venue to Crewe
April 23, 2007, 12:14:25 pm
In the other direction, could be worth checking how long it takes to get to the Shropshire/ Cheshire Sandstone crags.

I'd guess around 30 minutes to get up to Frodsham/Helsby (driving direct through Cheshire and avoiding the motorways) and about ten more minutes to get to Pex.

The Churnet may be worth a stab after work.  I sometimes go there after work in the summer and I work in Northwich but live in Liverpool.  Takes me under an hour to get to the Churnet and just over an hour to get home - luckily I can get out of work at around half three though.  Heighley Castle is also somewhere down your way isn't it?  Never been so have no idea exactly where it is or what it's like though.

old cheese

• obsessive maniac
  • does my arse look big in this
#5 Re: Nearest / Best Venue to Crewe
April 23, 2007, 07:46:32 pm
I'm with JB (good local knowledge there!!!) I went to college in crewe and would regularly cycle out to heighly castle. In the old staff guide book and the rockfax peak bouldering guide. Very good for traversing and loads of eliminates on fairly ok rock. Keep your head down though as iffy access at the mo i think. Keel uni has a wall 3 mins up the road from there also.

Next nearest is bosley and mow cop which aint much kop, bosley good though.

go to the castle, thats for winners. 15 mins from crewe station by car

haydnw

#6 Re: Nearest / Best Venue to Crewe
May 18, 2007, 09:52:22 pm
Does anyone know of any venues a little further west? My parents live in Chester and I'm heading over there for the weekend - just wondering if there's anything around that area / online guides or a book I might be able to pick up locally? Or even a book which covers the areas already mentioned (not sure if it's in the Peak Bouldering Guide, but that's on my list anyway!). Cheers.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal