UKBouldering.com

WCJ Cornice Conditions.... (Read 93330 times)

MrF

• regular
#75 Re: WCJ Cornice Conditions....
September 13, 2010, 05:46:56 pm
Anyone been since the 10th? Is it in condition?

JC

• addict
#76 Re: WCJ Cornice Conditions....
September 13, 2010, 07:55:53 pm
Most stuff fine on Sunday apart from seepage on Monsterosity & Albatrossity.

alaan

• regular
#77 Re: WCJ Cornice Conditions....
September 14, 2010, 11:06:27 pm
There yesterday and pretty dry - some seepage on jugs in the middle of Brachiation Dance and on Albatrossity but Free Monster totally dry. Fingers crossed for the end of the week!

Al

clgladiator

• menacing presence
  • a deceptively
    • Climbing Photography
#78 Re: WCJ Cornice Conditions....
April 04, 2011, 06:01:51 pm
has anyone been down yet this year, if so, hows it looking?

corniceman

• regular
#79 Re: WCJ Cornice Conditions....
April 05, 2011, 11:53:53 am

I have to say it always looks good!!

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#80 Re: WCJ Cornice Conditions....
April 05, 2011, 04:18:09 pm

I have to say it always looks good!!

Simon, get your arse back on rock!

clgladiator

• menacing presence
  • a deceptively
    • Climbing Photography
#81 Re: WCJ Cornice Conditions....
April 28, 2011, 11:40:21 pm
Thinking of heading down tomorrow, does anyone know if the crimp rail is back on the weakling, was thinking of trying it.

205Chris

• forum hero
#82 Re: WCJ Cornice Conditions....
May 06, 2011, 05:29:11 pm
Anyone been down recently and know what state it's in?

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#83 Re: WCJ Cornice Conditions....
May 06, 2011, 07:21:29 pm
I walked down the dale a couple of times over Easter. There was a bit of damp under Zeke/Bastard bulge. That's it. Everything else I could see was bone dry inc Moat and Central buttresses. Looked from across the river, but Cornice appeared dry. The whole dale is I think.

tomtom

• forum hero
#84 Re: WCJ Cornice Conditions....
May 06, 2011, 07:26:49 pm
I'm not that clued up on places, but if its 'the cornice' near Rubicon, then... when i was walking back from Rubicon I bumped into a couple of gents crossing over from the other side of the valley with ropes/clpisticks etc.. one who was beaming having done his first 8a... and they said 'the cornice was in great condition'.... I'm not sure if that helps or not!

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#85 Re: WCJ Cornice Conditions....
May 06, 2011, 07:37:16 pm
same dale, same cornice.

205Chris

• forum hero
#86 Re: WCJ Cornice Conditions....
May 06, 2011, 07:40:10 pm
and they said 'the cornice was in great condition'.... I'm not sure if that helps or not!

Thanks Tom. Sounds promising to me, unless of course it's code for something else.........

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#87 Re: WCJ Cornice Conditions....
May 06, 2011, 09:23:46 pm
Very good apparently, bumped into a mate today who did Glue Machine last month, he said most things including Free Monster, Brachiation etc were dry.  Only wetness on the extremities I think he said.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#88 Re: WCJ Cornice Conditions....
May 06, 2011, 11:17:28 pm
Been there tonight and last night. Preternaturally dry.  Backs of the pockets and everything.

account_inactive

• forum hero
#89 Re: WCJ Cornice Conditions....
May 07, 2011, 07:16:02 pm
and they said 'the cornice was in great condition'.... I'm not sure if that helps or not!

Thanks Tom. Sounds promising to me, unless of course it's code for something else.........

Free Monster Chris.......Free Monster ;)

Paul B

• forum hero
#90 Re: WCJ Cornice Conditions....
July 17, 2011, 07:57:54 pm
All dry as of 7pm ish today. I'm amazed that we only bumped into two people who were walking out. I gained a foothold from Free Monster from said meeting and will endeavour to stick it back on when things dry out a bit. LF hold between 1st and 2nd bolt although there are plenty of methods to completely avoid it?  Coincidentally someone commented that the jug on rumble was rocking, can anyone confirm this?

The upper roof's of Rumble/Auctioneer/Monsterosity etc. had some worrying looking dark patches by the end of the day but that's about it.

Holds at the top of Free Monster etc. stayed dry enough until around 3pm then from then on the wings started to suffer from runoff i.e. Incapacity benefit, Disilussioned.

Stu Littlefair

• forum hero
    • http://www.darkpeakimages.co.uk
#91 Re: WCJ Cornice Conditions....
July 17, 2011, 11:32:13 pm
The jug on rumble was  a bit wobbly when I did it (about a month ago). If you're going to be there with some glue it could be worth a look...

Steamboat Stello

• menacing presence
#92 Re: WCJ Cornice Conditions....
July 18, 2011, 10:19:27 am
That would be me that broke the hold on Free Monster, apologies. Its still do-able without it but I personally found it a bit harder and not as nice and judging by the amount of boot rubber on this hold I'd assume a lot of other people use it as well. Thanks a lot for offering to put it back on Paul, I was thinking of trying Rumble as well at some point so if you want any help with gluing I'd be up for helping out if you need it. I've not got many free weekends but lots of free evenings. Cheers.

Steamboat Stello

• menacing presence
#93 Re: WCJ Cornice Conditions....
July 19, 2011, 10:15:48 am
Anyone been since Sunday? Will it be dry tomorrow  :-\ ?

DaveRedpath

#94 Re: WCJ Cornice Conditions....
July 19, 2011, 11:56:32 am
I'd like to know too before I drive 200 miles, update please?

Steamboat Stello

• menacing presence
#95 Re: WCJ Cornice Conditions....
July 19, 2011, 01:27:14 pm
When are you heading down Dave? Unless I hear negative reports I will risk a trip tomorrow (its only 20 odd miles for me!) evening and can let you know what its like. Anything in particular your keen on?

DaveRedpath

#96 Re: WCJ Cornice Conditions....
July 19, 2011, 10:28:53 pm
I was keen for Rumble, at WCJ. Think we might start at Plum as getting down afternoon-ish.

Any update would be great!

Paul B

• forum hero
#97 Re: WCJ Cornice Conditions....
July 20, 2011, 10:44:22 pm
I was keen for Rumble, at WCJ. Think we might start at Plum as getting down afternoon-ish.

Any update would be great!

Tonight conditions were fine until the end of the evening then things rapidly turned greasy.

Nothing was obviously affected by runoff/seepage (although anything with Cornice gloop was a little damp). However, when we left it started raining very HARD and continued to do so until we were back in Sheffield.

Paul B

• forum hero
#98 Re: WCJ Cornice Conditions....
July 21, 2011, 11:48:47 pm
Drier tonight.

For anyone on the Auctioneer N.B. the foothold used for/after crossing the last roof (the signature Auctioneer moves) are crumbling badly. A fairly decent sized lump broke off tonight (and landed pretty close to the belayer on FM) and the central foothold (used after the crux) is captive but loose and I don't think it'll take much before this crumbles further, supposedly there was a heel toe here in past years, this has also gone. The bit I knocked off broke into crap on the floor.

I'll add this to the list of glue-jobs needed down here but I'd be grateful if people were careful and informed anyone trying the route.

Paul B

• forum hero
#99 Re: WCJ Cornice Conditions....
July 24, 2011, 12:17:01 am
I feel like I'm talking to myself here but anyway I glued up a few things today:

Foothold on Free Monster (if this comes off I suggest it gets thrown in the river)
Auctioneer,
and the jug on Rumble, this was (and still could be) a nasty surprise waiting for someone as the glue/sika had fractured around the whole hold. I did my best to secure it but without it ripping off and being glued fully it could deteriorate again.

If anyone encounters a greasy residue on any of the glue-jobs, sorry, its the nature of the resin and will disappear in a while.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal