UKBouldering.com

Hen Cloud *** HVS's (Read 2991 times)

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Hen Cloud *** HVS's
April 10, 2007, 05:25:52 pm
Me and a pal spent all Saturday up at Hen Cloud.  I'm ashamed to say that in many years of climbing I've only ever been once before so we decided to make my 'first day tradding in 2007' something different.  I was under the weather (in fact I spent all day Sunday and Monday on the settee) so decided to have something of an 'easy' day and ticked the four big HVS's.

Warmed up on Bachelors Route - A classic character building traditional route and very enjoyable.

Bachelors Left Hand - Absolutely superb... finger cracks, delicate slab moves, thuggy wide crack.

Hen Cloud Eliminate - Deceptive.. relatively straightforward until you think you've reached the end and then it's nails.

Encouragment (OK it's an E1, but it felt no different to the others) - A superb route Rich fell off the first pitch making the move L and I chucked myself of the second, pumped and full of what I then realised to be a very bad cold.

Delstree - Superb but absolutely nails... what a finish to an exhausting day.

All these routes are pretty demanding and I'm pleased that they stayed at the grade for the reasons outlined in the grade.  Go to it if you've never done them, it's a great day out.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1 Re: Hen Cloud *** HVS's
April 11, 2007, 07:48:47 am
Is Encouragement just right of Central Climb? Saw someone throw themselves off the second pitch once or twice when we were last there, looked nasty.

AndiT

• forum abuser
#2 Re: Hen Cloud *** HVS's
April 11, 2007, 10:43:16 am
A fantastic effort chosing Hen Cloud as your venue for an 'easy day' would hate to be with you when you're looking for a challenging day out! A great set of routes you ticked there. It soon becomes painfully obvious why there are so few E1's and E2's when you get on the HVS's. One of the reasons for this is that a great effort was made to preserve the Hen Cloud HVS, it's be a real shame if they were ever any other grade.

The next grade-group starts at E4, a strange phenomenon I always thought...

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#3 Re: Hen Cloud *** HVS's
April 11, 2007, 11:07:00 am
Chris - Yes, that's the one.  It's actually OK, just steep and a little awkward.. It would be pretty steady once you'd got a few cracks under your belt but I was fannying around putting too many runners in.

Andi - I'm delighted Grimer and the guidebook team stuck to their guns and put a well phrased HVS disclaimer in there.  I was also wondering where your project is..... 

AndiT

• forum abuser
#4 Re: Hen Cloud *** HVS's
April 11, 2007, 11:15:47 am
Projects are....

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#5 Re: Hen Cloud *** HVS's
April 11, 2007, 01:34:22 pm
Chris - Yes, that's the one.  It's actually OK, just steep and a little awkward.. It would be pretty steady once you'd got a few cracks under your belt but I was fannying around putting too many runners in.

Funny, that's exactly what the aforementioned flyee did. Looked awkward indeed.

As for cracks under the belt, I only have one.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#6 Re: Hen Cloud *** HVS's
April 12, 2007, 02:01:11 pm
 :thumbsup:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal