UKBouldering.com

What's the cheapest way to get a car over The Channel? (Read 3631 times)

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Off for a bit of France holiday action soonish -m ight even snatch a sweaty day at Font if I'm lucky.

What's better/cheaper - the chunnel/ferry/others?

T.H.

• obsessive maniac
I took my little fiat across last November (see Jonny Kirk's Seven Days.... article) and the ferry from Portsmouth to Le havre was definitely the cheapest offer going.

But just do an internet price comparison between all the various crossings.  They've all got on line booking services.

Don't get drawn into a 14 day trip across europe though, it costs a lot in replacement parts when you get back. :wink:

14 days, 2000 miles, one 900cc engine!!!

dave

in terms of a channel ferry it seems norfolkline are the cheapest by far.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Thanks for that.

nik at work

• forum hero
At the last bank holiday weekend we went over to font on the chunnel. They had a special offer do-dah on and it was only £59 for a car and up to four passengers, and it does seem to be quicker and more convenient than the ferry.
I think the cheapest ferry for that weekend was about £100.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Just had a check on the official Eurotunnel site and it's about £330 !

Might be cheaper to hire a car out there at those rates.

nik at work

• forum hero
Bloody Hell - oh well thats inflation for ya :D
I think the one we got was so cheap because it was just a weekend, if you are going for longer then the price goes up rapidement - as they (probably) say in France.

dave

I think any one of the ferry/tunnel operators can be cheapest on certain dates depending what offers they have on (we used seafrance for 1st 2 font trips), but if you can't drop on a good offer then I'd be surprised if you can find a standard fare cheaper than norfolkline. In fact i think i posted a thread in october when i was looking for cheap ferry frogside, they were under £100, the rest were £200+.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Norfolk are stating £269 (we're going for about 8-9 days) which is reasonable I spose - I'll have a good look round tonight. The other alternative is to fly to paris and hire a car when we need it. Might work out cheaper.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Fly / hire car via expedia.co.uk is about £269 each so not that much of a bargain, even after taking fuel costs getting there into account.

Scouse D

• forum hero
Norfolkline is usually about 100 notes to get a car across Dover-Dunkirk. If you can't find the price on the net just phone them up, they'll usually have a bargain fare going somewhere.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Scouse D is tha man!

Phoned up Norfolk Line and it's only £129 on special offer - rock bottom prices means more holiday fun  :D

dave

if you're on a morning sailing on n-line be sure to check out the 7-item breakfast, you can get fried bread etc and its dead cheap. Also if you can look scruffy like a lorry driver you get a discount.

andC

I thought taking the ferrie to vancouver island was expensive at $60CDN, they realy shaft ya over there!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal