UKBouldering.com

Chalk, Litter n' Shit.... (Read 20071 times)

Jacqusie

• stalker
Chalk, Litter n' Shit....
April 03, 2007, 10:20:16 pm
Not that I'm not as guilty as the next man - but fk me the state of some of our bouldering area's look bloody awfull - had a trip out to the Secret Garden the other day and the place looks an eyesore - chalk splats everywhere - no attempt to clean it off it seems and its ground into the rock...that and shit loads of litter everywhere (not blaming boulderers as such) but there was a fair bit of finger tape & fag ends all over the place too...

Not being sanctamonious - but take a brush & give the rock a tickle now and again between attemps & clean up a bit where you can peeps please!!

We have already had the Eagle Tor fiasco - lets not spoil anywhere else!!

Cheers

Si
BMC Peak Bouldering Access Rep

PS the lines at the Sheep pen (Higgar) look awesome - effort!

climbalive

• regular
#1 Re: Chalk, Litter n' Shit....
April 03, 2007, 10:25:42 pm
i agree with that even though i am very bad for the fag ends bit but i allways take other litter home with me and agree with the fact that chalk should be brushed of as much as possible rather than leaving white patches all over the rock, another example for this is the bowerstone ladder face, i know it gets a lot off traffic and is surprisingly hard to clean the chalk of but we could all make a bit more of an effort. i do suppose i am as bad as everyone else for it tho, just realized i cant really say anything about chalk marks.

Jacqusie

• stalker
#2 Re: Chalk, Litter n' Shit....
April 03, 2007, 10:40:31 pm
Stuff that gets the rain usually washes off - but stuff like the Bowderstone etc - overhanging - needs brushing - I'm as guilty as you - but I do try to do my bit by bit...

- Litter always pisses me off tho & I hope its not climbers - but finger tape all over the place is not on IMHO...

si

Dr T

• forum hero
#3 Re: Chalk, Litter n' Shit....
April 03, 2007, 11:34:07 pm
agreed - every time I go down the boulderfield I end up bring back more lucozade bottles and finger tape than I take in  :wall:
it's just not acceptable and as for people crapping at the crag, well having a piss behind a tree is one thing having a crap is another totally, go before you leave and go again when you get home
without going on a hippy trip about it the rocks have been there longer than we have and will outlive us and messing up these areas with litter and excess chalk is as offensive as chipping, I'm sure everyone on here is  so serious about the daft pastime of climbing small rocks that they respect the places they climb so this thread is probably preaching to the choir but those that don't respect the environment fuck it up for the rest of us and require a  :spank:

Somebody's Fool

• forum hero
#4 Re: Chalk, Litter n' Shit....
April 03, 2007, 11:55:25 pm
well having a piss behind a tree is one thing having a crap is another totally

It's twice as bad if my maths serves me correctly.

Jacqusie

• stalker
#5 Re: Chalk, Litter n' Shit....
April 04, 2007, 12:23:22 am

I've seen top cimbers literally brushing chalk on holds  - trying the problem & failing them fucking off. When I've asked if they are going to help clean the hold - most of the time I've been told that its going to be cleaned by the rain..

Par example - T Crack - Cratcliffe - Nah- use yr brains...

Its just senseless non?

si

richdraws

• obsessive maniac
#6 Re: Chalk, Litter n' Shit....
April 04, 2007, 12:55:25 am
I think I have been guilty of seeing the Bowderstone as training and have never thought much about the caked on chalk. I take the spanking and will try and remember the  impact we have....

I am not sure why  it has not occured to me though as the bowderstone gets a lot of non climber attention unlike Kyloe or many other venues?

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#7 Re: Chalk, Litter n' Shit....
April 04, 2007, 09:01:52 am
Lets be realistic here. The only way to clean chalk off the Bowderstone would be by using a pressure washer. Toothbrushing will remove the loose stuff but have no effect on decades old caked n stuff.
A guy used to pressure wash the perma-dry Sydney crag Sissy on a regular basis i'm told. It worked well but was back to square one within a month or two.

Paul B

• forum hero
#8 Re: Chalk, Litter n' Shit....
April 04, 2007, 11:32:32 am
A guy used to pressure wash the perma-dry Sydney crag Sissy on a regular basis i'm told. It worked well but was back to square one within a month or two.

There are some pics in one of John Shermans books of people doing this kind of thing somewhere over the pond, sounds like a good idea to me for the 'stone at least.

climbalive

• regular
#9 Re: Chalk, Litter n' Shit....
April 04, 2007, 12:44:26 pm
i agree that brushing the stone wont do much and know that a few of the locals have thought about pressure wasahing it but never actually done it due to lack of water and power without breaking into 1 of the huts.

dave

#10 Re: Chalk, Litter n' Shit....
April 04, 2007, 07:07:47 pm
i hear that someone (pete robbins?) paid to have jerry's roof in the pass pressure washed. the anecdote goes that it was back to square one again in a few days. hardly seems woth it expect for the fact you can't put a value on a good anecdote like that.

tc

• junky
#11 Re: Chalk, Litter n' Shit....
April 04, 2007, 07:29:05 pm
i agree that brushing the stone wont do much and know that a few of the locals have thought about pressure wasahing it but never actually done it due to lack of water and power without breaking into 1 of the huts.

You don't have to break in. Just ask the NMC, if that's still the club that owns the hut.

Jacqusie

• stalker
#12 Re: Chalk, Litter n' Shit....
April 04, 2007, 10:48:55 pm
Somebody kindly left an empty plastic bag at Burbage South today for me to put all the finger tape in - empty chalk balls and other shite including an old sock!

The non climbing arseholes that come out of the city and strew shite across the Peak - I kind of understand their mentality - they are fairly inbred after all - but climbers & boulderer's - there is no excuse - is there?

I am wondering of we need another Peak litter clean up - but part of me wonders why we should pick up other peoples shite and the last one saw 4 people turn up - all BMC volunteers - no one cares it seems...

Ah well.. cest' la vie!

si

:wall:

Somebody's Fool

• forum hero
#13 Re: Chalk, Litter n' Shit....
April 04, 2007, 11:17:31 pm
While your intentions here are honourable, your view of climbers vs. non-climbers is very naive and frankly wrong. 

As climbing has become more popular the old stereotype of environmentally aware, non team sport playing, sexually backward geeks who spent their school years yomping round the Yorkshire Dales doesn't ring true any more.

Because of the promotion and accesibility of climbing the number of climbers has risen so much that climbing as a community is increasingly resembling society at large.  And that means more climbers who are arseholes.

With regard to litter picks the two I've been to at The Roaches have been well organised and well attended.  I believe it was Dave Bishop (AndiT will know for certain) who organised them.  Perhaps the advertising was done differently.  There are plenty of people out there who are willing to help,  it's just a matter of reaching them.

EDIT:  I should make it clear I'm not suggesting Casanovas or those handy in front of goal are necessarily arseholes. 
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 11:29:06 pm by Somebody's Fool »

Jacqusie

• stalker
#14 Re: Chalk, Litter n' Shit....
April 04, 2007, 11:25:08 pm
Well - that may be true - I may be just hoping that its not climbers in the main that litter the crags - but then again who leaves chalk balls & finger tape everywhere??

The last Peak litter pick was well advertised through Jez Portman at Outside & the BMC - true it was a rank day - only good for litter picking I guess! Shame no one turned up!!

- We will organise another soon I hope.? Fair play to the Roaches clean up - Dave Bish is a top man...

Maybe we all just need to help out on a day to day basis and tell the twonks that litter  - its not cricket - & pick up as much as we can -

cheers

si

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#15 Re: Chalk, Litter n' Shit....
April 04, 2007, 11:29:39 pm
I'd join you at Burbage South but pretty sure the eco miles to get there from the North West would be too great to warrant a litter pick  ;)

In all seriousness though, as SF says there are plenty of willing bodies out there. A message on here would work wonders I would imagine, and if there was one in the NW I'd make a point of going. 

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#16 Re: Chalk, Litter n' Shit....
April 05, 2007, 09:14:51 pm
BTW Si, if you want, you could ask Bubba and he'd put a special BMC Peak Bouldering Access Rep tag under your name and maybe have name and tag in gold. Just in case we forget your exalted status...

But yes, good to keep calling this, although it is a bit preaching to the converted on here.

Jacqusie

• stalker
#17 Re: Chalk, Litter n' Shit....
April 05, 2007, 11:02:58 pm
BTW Si, if you want, you could ask Bubba and he'd put a special BMC Peak Bouldering Access Rep tag under your name and maybe have name and tag in gold. Just in case we forget your exalted status...

That would be good - golds not my colour tho - kneel at my exalteness! I keep trying to resign - but they won't let me - fancy having the role & actually doing some kind of work for a change?

« Last Edit: April 07, 2007, 08:47:19 am by Bonjoy, Reason: [/quote] missing »

underground

• forum hero
#18 Re: Chalk, Litter n' Shit....
April 07, 2007, 09:36:55 pm
The non climbing arseholes that come out of the city and strew shite across the Peak - I kind of understand their mentality - they are fairly inbred after all - but climbers & boulderer's - there is no excuse - is there?

That's a pretty shitty statement Si, and i believe Somebody's fool has put it very well already- there are certainly climbing arseholes about... but equally, being a non-climber doesn't make someone an enemy of the environment, or an arsehole ffs.

I think it's more a case of any arsehole  :spank:

whispering nic

• player
#19 Re: Chalk, Litter n' Shit....
April 07, 2007, 11:45:26 pm
I guess we should pick the litter up when we encounter it?

Holds can be cleaned by giving them a skoosh of water and then scrubbing with  a toothbrush. Best done at the end of the day to prevent messing up someones send of a problem...

I've chinned people before about litter and bbq's etc and always had a positive response - if you look like you've been climbing a while, punters tend to see you as a role model and take your views on board...(as long as you approach the subject tactfully)

andy_e

• forum hero
#20 Re: Chalk, Litter n' Shit....
April 10, 2007, 10:11:07 pm
Someone had pitched their tents right under Stall at Gib Torr at the weekend, proving climbers can be twats...  :thumbsdown: :wank:

Eddies

• forum hero
#21 Re: Chalk, Litter n' Shit....
April 10, 2007, 10:16:10 pm
Unbelivable!! I hope you ripped the pegs out and dragged the tent into the woods!?
I cant belive a climber would have pitched there tent there... MUPPETS

andy_e

• forum hero
#22 Re: Chalk, Litter n' Shit....
April 10, 2007, 10:18:57 pm
No, there were a few of them, youths mostly, and i was on my bill so I didn't want to do anything...

dontfollowme

• Trusted Users
  • junky
#23 Re: Chalk, Litter n' Shit....
April 10, 2007, 10:59:32 pm
Did you get a go on Stall? It feels desperate for the grade to me.

Dude

• addict
#24 Re: Chalk, Litter n' Shit....
April 11, 2007, 09:43:37 am
i agree with that even though i am very bad for the fag ends bit but i allways take other litter home with me and agree with the fact that chalk should be brushed of as much as possible rather than leaving white patches all over the rock.
Why can't u take your fag ends with you as well, I used to when i smoked in years yonder past. It pisses me off when you go out to some lovely boulders and some dick's left their fag butts underneath the problem, usually next to their finger tape remnants. :spank:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal