UKBouldering.com

The tube (Read 5944 times)

reeve

• obsessive maniac
The tube
February 20, 2007, 09:07:25 pm
Hi there, hoping to be enlightened by the wise souls of this site. Where exactly is the above mentioned bouldering spot? Saw a vid of it on youtube, looks a decent summer venue. Any suggestions where I can find a topo or other information would be grand too ta

chappers

• forum hero

Somebody's Fool

• forum hero
#2 Re: The tube
February 20, 2007, 09:14:49 pm
The new Peak Topo page has some information on it.  It does indeed look a fine venue.
Link here: http://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php/topic,6905.0.html

It appears you beat me to it chappers. 

reeve

• obsessive maniac
#3 Re: The tube
February 20, 2007, 09:18:52 pm
A bloody fine service there, cheers.

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
#4 Re: The tube
February 21, 2007, 12:46:40 am
Definitely worth checking out. Not lots to do, but what there is worthwhile, and it's in a very pleasant location.

Conditions are still a mystery I think, as it was only discovered this summer - so whether it seeps or not (and when it is best to climb) has not yet been tested. (woz) may correct me, but I think it was dry all summer long - may even be dry now, who knows? Anyway, he's the man to pm if you have any further questions.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#5 Re: The tube
February 21, 2007, 08:52:07 am
 The map and location notes on that link are somewhat confusing. The circle on the map shows it being just east of the river Dove, a short way south of Milldale. Am I right in saying that it's actually in a tributary valley on the west side of the Dove? It also mentions parking in the village, but not which village, the ring on the map is close to Milldale, isn't it Stanhope where you park?

etjoset

• addict
  • Twiddle that knob
#6 Re: The tube
February 21, 2007, 10:16:49 am
The map and location notes on that link are somewhat confusing.

Bonjoy -  I'm glad that you posted that because I was seriously doubting my abilities to find it from the description on the topo. Can anyone post a grid reference? Is "the village" mentioned in the description is actually Milldale?

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#7 Re: The tube
February 21, 2007, 10:49:53 am
From the other Tube thread:
The cave is in Hall Dale, just off Dovedale. You can park in the village of stanshope, about 15mins walk away. Unfortunatly the cave is quite hidden so I will knock up an approach map.
dan
I usually park in Stanshope, and then follow the path into Hall Dale through a couple of fields. Once over the last wall, I turn left and go up the steep slope formed by the side of the valley, right to the top by the wall. Now follow the wall along (passing two gates) to where a short barbed wire fence leaves the wall, and goes diagonally towards you, down the hill. Walk between the end of this and a small rocky knoll, heading down the hill. The cave is pretty much directly beneath this knoll - just where the bushes and trees start.

When at the cave, you can get down to the main path again by going straight down the steep scree bank (This might form an easier approach when you know exactly where to go up) - but I prefer to go back the same way.

r-man

• forum hero
#8 Re: The tube
February 21, 2007, 11:06:47 am
Good point. I just copied the map that (woz) sent me, but the red circle is slightly out. It's a little more accurate here:

http://www.bouldr.net/?z=15&long=-1.79901123046875&lat=53.08062114179568

Click Satellite to see the valley. I might not be spot on with the exact location, but that's the valley. I'll update the topo later.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 11:15:44 am by r-man »

r-man

• forum hero
#9 Re: The tube
February 21, 2007, 12:14:57 pm
Revised directions and altered maps. Bonjoy, can you edit the link in the sticky please? Just need to change Tube3 to Tube4.

http://www.snapdrive.net/files/53447/The%20Tube4.pdf

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#10 Re: The tube
February 21, 2007, 01:07:43 pm
Will do

(woz)

• forum abuser
#11 Re: The tube
February 21, 2007, 04:04:51 pm
Conditions are still a mystery I think, as it was only discovered this summer - so whether it seeps or not (and when it is best to climb) has not yet been tested. (woz) may correct me, but I think it was dry all summer long - may even be dry now, who knows?

We first went there around this time last year. It was generally dry, but several crucial areas of the roof were damp through seepage. I climbed there several times over summer in absolute pissing rain, and on days after it had rained when other peak limestone areas were soaked.
Dawn Raider gets the sun all day, so can be too warm in summer (hence being first climbed at about 7am after a night in the cave - very atmospheric!). The rest of the problems are nicely shaded. I've just checked out the maps on the topo, and as far as I can tell they are spot on.
Enjoy

(woz)

• forum abuser
#12 Re: The tube
March 28, 2007, 04:57:18 pm
Update:

I got a phonecall from my dad last night saying that he had been up to the Tube on a walk yesterday. Apparently the cave is 99% dry, with all problems being climbable.
Also, the large block on the topo has come off (don't say I didn't warn you) thus destroying the 7b version of Dawn Raider. No new holds were created, so maybe only the 7c original is possible now(hopefully ;))

Mark Lloyd

• menacing presence
#13 Re: The tube
April 07, 2007, 08:57:21 pm
Checked out the tube today, everything was dry.
Did climb a problem up the brown groove where the loose block was.
Starting from dawn raider and traversing the lip to a sharp pocket at the bottom of the groove then up to jugs.

(woz)

• forum abuser
#14 Re: The tube
April 08, 2007, 10:28:37 am
Excellent, I'm glad you managed to find it. If you send me some details of the problem then I can add it to the topo.

Mark Lloyd

• menacing presence
#15 Re: The tube
April 17, 2007, 02:38:07 pm
The groove can be started from standing, but I thought it was better to start from the jug of dawn raider to add a few more moves.
So from the jug at the start of dawn raider use a couple of the low crimps to span to small sharp pocket at the bottom of the brown groove. I then used large flat undercut out right to gain a pocket mid way up the brown groove,  sort your feet out then use further crimps to obain some jugs in a higher break.
I did try and carry on along the lip from the groove, which I thought was dawn raider until I saw your video.
I think it might be possible but a bit hard for me, this was only my third time out climbing this year.
The way I climbed the groove was about english 6a, havent done much climbing this year to really give any better guess than that.

(woz)

• forum abuser
#16 Re: The tube
April 18, 2007, 12:43:34 pm
Cheers for that, I'll check it out next time i'm there.

Mark Lloyd

• menacing presence
#17 Re: The tube
April 18, 2007, 10:12:24 pm
The lost sequence pictures om 8a site look good, is that in dovedale as well ?

(woz)

• forum abuser
#18 Re: The tube
April 19, 2007, 10:01:25 am
nope ;)

Still got a couple of things to try at that crag, but will post up on here when it's done. Tis a nice spot - sunny, crimpy and highball.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal