UKBouldering.com

Satisfaction (Read 7575 times)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#25 Re: Satisfaction
March 19, 2007, 02:20:40 pm
It does people good to be humbled once in a while. There's nothing worse than climbing with a vainglorious egomaniac. If you happen to burn them off (for what ever reason,m and let's face it, every dog has its day, some day) just enjoy it, they'll sure as hell be revelling in self adoration the rest of the time.

Kind of what i meant, as my comment only really applies to someone you are close enough to that they will take getting burned off the right way. I'm fortunate enough to have very few people I have ever climbed with who are any distance up their own arses.

Paz

• junky
#26 Re: Satisfaction
March 19, 2007, 03:54:01 pm
I'm satisfied if I find dry rock.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#27 Re: Satisfaction
March 19, 2007, 04:11:22 pm
I like the moment when something clicks when you work a problem.  You know the ones- where you can't do a move despite trying and trying.  Then one day you tilt a bit this way, or move a finger slightly and POW- that's the move.  The feeling of revelation is excellent.

cofe

• forum hero
#28 Re: Satisfaction
March 19, 2007, 06:07:11 pm
I'm surprised cofe hasn't piped up yet extolling the virtues of a post climb shit. 

Apparently satisfaction is curling one out, pen in hand, making a solitary mark next to whichever GLT (Graded List Tick) you've climbed that day. 

Only the first page counts mind.

that's what it's all about. crude as it may be.

saltbeef

• forum hero
#29 Re: Satisfaction
March 19, 2007, 06:30:07 pm
Lee, I know what you're saying. I feel generally mild relief once I've finished something I've had to put effort into. I generally get satisfaction when something is hard enough to make me feel like I'm pulling, but not so I have to work it into submission,ie I do it quick before its so dialled its a path. Jon, you're forever burning people off... (and you know you love it.)
satisfaction is actually getting to climb outside, doing something new, having some banter, you're mates ticking stuff, no one getting injured, oh and post climbing patisserries.

andy popp

• forum hero
#30 Re: Satisfaction
March 19, 2007, 06:41:36 pm
Despite being as keen as ever I've been able to climb less and less over the last couple of years - literally once every few months - so you'd think just getting out would be satisfying enough but its actually made it almost harder to enjoy. I probably place too much store in it but haven't got the form to really climb as I'd like, which can be frustrating. I don't mean numbers, I don't mind climbing much easier than I used to, but I hate climbing badly as in not very competently. So now all I want is to get out with some good mates and feel like there's something still there, a basic level of competence.

Baron

• obsessive maniac
#31 Re: Satisfaction
March 19, 2007, 07:46:34 pm
Word Mr. Popp. Climing something well, yeah. Johnny Daniels once said of Sean Myles "he lays the rock back". Kind of always aspired to that.

Jacqusie

• stalker
#32 Re: Satisfaction
March 19, 2007, 09:10:34 pm
#1 Going whacking about o'er moor and woodland and finding some new rocks (that probably have been done before   :whistle:) and starting a new project. Always gives a sense of exploration which when the probs are done give emense satisfaction - no guides - no maps and no people around...

#2 Bouldering with mates and banter - when I manage something that I thought previous was improbable with good spots and encouragement manging to top out - grin's a mile wide...

Ying and yang... all good!

Oh and Font. That place is satisfaction personified!!

Si

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#33 Re: Satisfaction
March 20, 2007, 07:38:45 am
#1 Going whacking about o'er moor and woodland and finding some new rocks (that probably have been done before   :whistle:) and starting a new project. Always gives a sense of exploration which when the probs are done give emense satisfaction - no guides - no maps and no people around...

And you are asking about documenting these problems and denying others this self same pleasure?

Jacqusie

• stalker
#34 Re: Satisfaction
March 20, 2007, 08:39:27 pm
Asking being the word. Just an open question for opinions - and I think we have come to the answer on the other thread...

There has been loads that we have done and never documented - sometimes we were right not to - sometimes we may have should have done...

Plenty do for their own sucess and name in the record books... I'm never a big head about these things (I can't be!) and I often give projects to mates that can do them. For the Lawrencefield little upper tier in the New Burbage guide -I decided that the problems were worthy of publication - but didn't do them all myself as was projects in Froggatt woods etc..

Its a Judgement call - and you do get excited by new rock - these days its hard not to - common sense prevails most of the time I reckon...

Cheers

si

cider nut

• addict
  • Monkeying around
#35 Re: Satisfaction
March 26, 2007, 08:11:13 pm
To be honest much as it's nice to be on top form I sometimes find it a bit uncomfortable burning people off (on the rare occasion it happens) who are supposed to be better than me. Especially when said people are clearly peaved by it. Does nobody else get this?  :shrug:

I can't say whether I enjoy burning people off, as I don't boulder hard enough.  I do know though, that when I climb routes my head stops me succeeding far more times than my technique, and I often feel like everyone's overtaking me.  With bouldering though, there's not even enough time for the head to get in the way, so I can sometimes succeed on something that a friend who whooped me at trad is nowhere near, and that does make me feel better.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal