UKBouldering.com

Lancs Quarry Clean up Dates (Read 2746 times)

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
Lancs Quarry Clean up Dates
March 19, 2007, 03:45:01 pm
"Love Your Lancashire Quarries"

Quote from: Jon Dittman
Hi chaps,
Just to let you know that the following cleanups have been given the go ahead by the relevant authorities so pop these dates in your diary. I will be doing more publicity nearer the time for each one.

Saturday 21st April - Wilton 2 : Removal of the rubbish in the pit and general overhaul.

Saturday 2nd June - Hoghton
: General cleanup of routes and major climbing session / guidebook photoshoot. (remember that access is only allowed at this crag for a couple of months per year so this is a good day to get ticking)

Saturday 30th June - Egerton : Removal of rubbish from pond (TBA), tree felling, general tidy up, BMC Area meeting + BBQ.

This takes us to June. Where else needs doing? We also need loads of photos for the guidebook so if anyone fancies suggesting a meet at a crag for photogenic purposes let me know.

This is going to be the year of the Lancashire Quarry. There is lots of work to do, but there are new routes of all grades to be had and a new guide hopefully coming out next year so come and join in and be a part of it.

Cheers

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=233203

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#1 Re: Lancs Quarry Clean up Dates
March 19, 2007, 10:02:44 pm
Good stuff.
Got me wondering:  I know Brownstones has had a clearing of the top-outs before, but is it time to sort them out again??  Most are OK, but the LBW isn't inviting to top-out and is seeing less activity.  Since it holds some good routes, this is a shame.
Any thoughts?

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
#2 Re: Lancs Quarry Clean up Dates
March 21, 2007, 10:40:58 am
Geoff Mann has been tending Brownstones topouts for years. As far as I know, every year he prunes a different section of heather.

But I'm sure if you organised a heather removal/bramble chopping day, you'd get a reasonable response.

As for making the long back wall more popular, I think that's going to be down to the guidebook to inspire people. Perhaps we need a long back wall meet sometime - lots of pads and spotters, lots of highball ticking, and lots of good photos for the guidebook.

The other thing that might help is giving some of the routes proper grades. The taller routes are just too tall to be boulder problems for all but the very brave. Give them route grades and they might see new interest. Some abseil/belay stakes at the top would probably also be a good idea if this is the way forward. ...What does everyone else think? I have reservations about changing the atmosphere of the long back wall by encouraging gear and ropes and faffing and all that, but it might be a good way to keep the vegetation down.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#3 Re: Lancs Quarry Clean up Dates
March 21, 2007, 11:10:39 am
As for making the long back wall more popular, I think that's going to be down to the guidebook to inspire people. Perhaps we need a long back wall meet sometime - lots of pads and spotters, lots of highball ticking, and lots of good photos for the guidebook.
That is a most excellent suggestion.  Let me know when and I'll bring my cameras.   :great:

clm

• forum hero
#4 Re: Lancs Quarry Clean up Dates
March 21, 2007, 06:13:19 pm
The lbw needs afull on ab rope with spade and pick axe job as the soil/rubble has slumped since jeff did it in 90 summat.  Maybe something for a rainy day.  I a lso rckon some ab stakes along the top of there would be an advantage, not for abbibg but for hand over handing back down.  its a bloody long walk round for a 20ft problem and the 10 feet of rubble is death.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#5 Re: Lancs Quarry Clean up Dates
March 21, 2007, 07:53:14 pm
True CLM.  I rarely do problems that go to the top on LBW because I can't be arsed downclimbing and topping out is a real pant-filler.  45 degree heather and choss just ain't my thing.  Maybe a hanging rope to top out with would be an idea but even that feels like cheating.
HorseCrack is looking chossy again.  Has it been done more than once?!?!?  One for the LBW meet.   :great:

clm

• forum hero
#6 Re: Lancs Quarry Clean up Dates
March 22, 2007, 06:22:09 pm
i did the crux throught o the last move and jumped off about 6 months ago.  Its really easy to clean now the top is done.  a quick scrape cleans out the fingerlocks and that green streak dries out good and proper in drier times.  As soon as the clocks change i intend put some hours at the brown to take the broughton fingers to the next level.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal