UKBouldering.com

Satisfaction (Read 7597 times)

cider nut

• addict
  • Monkeying around
Satisfaction
March 17, 2007, 10:12:01 pm

I just got lost from UKC, and somehow managed to decipher the frustrating registration form, so now I get to post a thread :)

So... until recently I never really *got* bouldering, partly because I've always been hopeless at landing - my knees don't seem to do that whole shock absorbing thing and I either jar my back or collapse in a heap.  I discovered Keele Uni bouldering wall before Christmas though and have been down quite regularly as it's pretty local and there's often a good, encouraging crowd down.  I've taken the opportunity to drop off at height until I felt comfortable with landing (on big crash pads).  So I think I'm finally over my 'fear of anything above 3 foot 6' as one of the regulars put it.  I can land okay if I deliberately jump off, and am happy with falling off as long as I trust my spotter.  (I've also got the hang of the fact that it's okay to get beta and watch other people, and it still counts, in fact is encouraged too).  I still don't totally get bouldering, but it now has a purpose for me...

I was at Ramshaw on Friday and it was a bit blowy to do routes so we bouldered instead.  I had a go at the mantel problem (6a) near the Rammer, got up on the small foot ledge but backed off the actual mantel bit.  Then saw a friend did it and thought 'hold on, that looked easy, I can do this'!  After playing around with hand positions (and finding the place without lichen), I did it and was sooooo chuffed.  The reason being, is that on routes last year I hardly ever got out of my comfort zone of cracks, and if I tried something different it's easy to get scared on a route.  I wasn't scared on the mantel, as I had a nice soft landing (a mat or a body), so it was a good opportunity to try something else, at the top of my technical ability. And I succeeded!

On to the question then - What type of boulder problem do you get the most satisfaction from?  Something hard?  Something that involves a technique you don't normally use (like me)?  Something a friend of yours couldn't do?  Something you flashed?

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#1 Re: Satisfaction
March 17, 2007, 10:20:12 pm
On to the question then - What type of boulder problem do you get the most satisfaction from?  Something hard?  Something that involves a technique you don't normally use (like me)?  Something a friend of yours couldn't do?  Something you flashed?
Yes.

cider nut

• addict
  • Monkeying around
#2 Re: Satisfaction
March 17, 2007, 10:30:28 pm
Ha ha, you have to pick one...

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#3 Re: Satisfaction
March 17, 2007, 10:33:43 pm
Something hard and involving a technique that is my weakness,  which I've flashed and my mate couldn't do.

dontfollowme

• Trusted Users
  • junky
#4 Re: Satisfaction
March 17, 2007, 11:13:31 pm
I get the most satisfaction from completing a problem I have worked.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#5 Re: Satisfaction
March 18, 2007, 09:45:59 am
 Unclimbed lines where you have no idea how hard it will be or even if you stand a chance of doing them.

dave

#6 Re: Satisfaction
March 18, 2007, 10:28:11 am
best satisfaction is from somthing quality, regardless of the grade.

Or alternativley, burning someone off will do.

Somebody's Fool

• forum hero
#7 Re: Satisfaction
March 18, 2007, 11:18:51 am
I'm surprised cofe hasn't piped up yet extolling the virtues of a post climb shit. 

Apparently satisfaction is curling one out, pen in hand, making a solitary mark next to whichever GLT (Graded List Tick) you've climbed that day. 

Only the first page counts mind.

cider nut

• addict
  • Monkeying around
#8 Re: Satisfaction
March 18, 2007, 11:36:07 am
Unclimbed lines where you have no idea how hard it will be or even if you stand a chance of doing them.

Does that mean you have to be the first to succeed on that problem, or can you still get the same satifsaction even after seeing someone else do it (because even though someone else has done it, that doesn't mean it's easy for the next person). 

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#9 Re: Satisfaction
March 18, 2007, 11:59:12 am
satisfaction for me comes in many forms.
from spending a quiet day doing easy stuff with girlfriend, to a very good board session.

but perhaps the biggest satisfaction is discovering something new, like being able to do a problem previously thought impossible, regardless of actually doing it. its discovering the possibilities, opening new future that give me the biggest satisfaction, like doing a progress and feeling motivated for going further.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#10 Re: Satisfaction
March 18, 2007, 12:21:30 pm
but perhaps the biggest satisfaction is discovering something new, like being able to do a problem previously thought impossible, regardless of actually doing it. its discovering the possibilities, opening new future that give me the biggest satisfaction, like doing a progress and feeling motivated for going further.

Yes, I find that.

With bouldering, I gain the most satisfaction from pushing myself, whether that is many attempts working a problem and unlocking it's deviancies, or a determined all out battle on the flash. But as Nibble says, it's specifically the discovering possibilities that comes from pushing myself - doing something I didn't know I could, digging deeper than previously before, learning new techniques, using holds I didn't think could work. Obviously the quality of problem and beauty of movement is important, otherwise I'd be trying to discover possibilities on Blind Date or T Crack or the Cave... But I like exploring my physical and technical limits in bouldering.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#11 Re: Satisfaction
March 18, 2007, 08:15:57 pm

Does that mean you have to be the first to succeed on that problem, or can you still get the same satifsaction even after seeing someone else do it (because even though someone else has done it, that doesn't mean it's easy for the next person). 

If the question is 'what gives the most satisfaction' it has to be the FA. That's not to say other stuff can't be just as rewarding, but the FA of a good quality hard prob is guaranteed gold.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 08:23:58 pm by Bonjoy »

a dense loner

• forum hero
#12 Re: Satisfaction
March 18, 2007, 08:23:00 pm
on the other side of the coin, recently i've done a few things that i had been trying. when i eventually did them i was simply just pissed off that i hadn't managed to do them before. i wasn't happy with them at all. you can't win sometimes

cider nut

• addict
  • Monkeying around
#13 Re: Satisfaction
March 18, 2007, 09:31:22 pm
on the other side of the coin, recently i've done a few things that i had been trying. when i eventually did them i was simply just pissed off that i hadn't managed to do them before. i wasn't happy with them at all. you can't win sometimes

I sympathise, although for different reasons.  I just went bouldering down the edge, didn't want to do anything too pumpy, and wasn't even fussed about getting to the top, so thought I'd try and do some hard-ish but still acheivable moves on slopers.  But I hardly managed to do any, and I'd tried really hard, and was pissed off that I'd put the effort into to doing something specific to improve (rather than just pissing around on juggy stuff) and didn't succeed!

Somebody's Fool

• forum hero
#14 Re: Satisfaction
March 18, 2007, 10:33:28 pm
Don't sympathise with him.  He's just saying it so people will think 'This guy climbs a new 7c+ and isn't happy.  He must climb so much newer and harder before he is.'

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#15 Re: Satisfaction
March 19, 2007, 07:49:24 am

Dense, why does this not surprise me. Does anything ever make you happy?

I agree with Bonjoy that doing a FA of something you have no ideo of whether it is possible (to you) or not feels really good. Nothing psyches me to up my game more. Otherwise satisfaction is where you find it; a great move, working out an elusive sequence or just boning down hard to nail something. It is elusive mind and may come from unusual places.

BenF

• forum hero
#16 Re: Satisfaction
March 19, 2007, 08:26:42 am
'He must climb so much newer and harder before he is.'

What like climbing an 8b but forgetting it and then doing the first ascent again later on?  Two first ascents; one prior to the first ascent and one after the first ascent.

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#17 Re: Satisfaction
March 19, 2007, 12:38:30 pm
satisfaction for me comes in many forms.
from spending a quiet day doing easy stuff with girlfriend...

Allright the Nibulator!  :shag:

Satisfaction can have many forms, whether its downgrading your mates hardest problems, flashing their projects or simply a full length mirror. MMMM HMMM :-*

Ru

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#18 Re: Satisfaction
March 19, 2007, 12:49:05 pm
I think all this talk of satisfaction coming from completing hard projects or first ascents is all very well, but really everyone knows this is nothing compared to the true satisfaction of spending a day on the crag with some good mates, burning them off. Like dave said.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#19 Re: Satisfaction
March 19, 2007, 01:06:28 pm
Especially if they are having a really off form day and you are playing a blinder.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#20 Re: Satisfaction
March 19, 2007, 01:11:17 pm
 To be honest much as it's nice to be on top form I sometimes find it a bit uncomfortable burning people off (on the rare occasion it happens) who are supposed to be better than me. Especially when said people are clearly peaved by it. Does nobody else get this?  :shrug:

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#21 Re: Satisfaction
March 19, 2007, 01:36:43 pm
i think i can recall just one occasion when burning someone off gave me satisfaction, but just cos these two guys at the gym had been really annoying (and still are) and, pretending to joke were very rude. i was very pleased to flash their problem, i was happy when they left it without doing it, but this happiness lasted very short, cos i realized i was climbing with two complete assh***s, thereby basically losing and spoiling my time. it made me sad.

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#22 Re: Satisfaction
March 19, 2007, 01:41:19 pm
It does people good to be humbled once in a while. There's nothing worse than climbing with a vainglorious egomaniac. If you happen to burn them off (for what ever reason,m and let's face it, every dog has its day, some day) just enjoy it, they'll sure as hell be revelling in self adoration the rest of the time. And if they can't see the funny side, fuck em off and go and climb with someone else less consumed by their own godhead status.

Andy B

• forum hero
  • fishie in a dishie
#23 Re: Satisfaction
March 19, 2007, 01:43:11 pm
Much as I like a bit of friendly competition, burning friends off is not as good as everyone in the team getting up stuff, because I find the best days are when everyone in the team has a good session and gets up what they wanted to, and is buzzing together. It's much better to end the day with everyone happy and bubbling with enthusiasm, than to be sitting smugly in the car whilst everyone else is disappointed. As for others at the crag, that depends on the vibes that I feel from individuals. If I feel that they are psyched and genuinely keen for others to succeed then I will try to be supportive of them, but if I feel their eyes burning into my back, willing me to fall off everytime I pull on then I will be pretty keen to try and burn them off, especially if they seem a bit up themselves. Of course this philosophy means that I could read vibes wrong sometimes...

I definitely think that the most satisfying days are when everyone in the team climbs well.

monkey boy

• forum hero
#24 Re: Satisfaction
March 19, 2007, 02:10:22 pm

I definitely think that the most satisfying days are when everyone in the team climbs well.

Yeh i fully agree, when everyone gets up something they really wanted then it makes for a wicked atmosphere! Plus the  :beer2: taste better for everyone in the evening!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal