UKBouldering.com

Easy Peak District bouldering / a guide (Read 11786 times)

haydnw

Easy Peak District bouldering / a guide
March 02, 2007, 09:12:10 pm
Hi,

My brother and I have just started bouldering, and are currently climbing V0 - V2 routes which (understandably) seems to be limiting our options a bit for locations with a decent number of problems. I was just wondering if anyone can suggest anywhere in the Peaks that might have a proliferation of lower-grade problems, and/or any suitable guide(s) which may be available for the area?

Cheers!
Haydn

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
It depends where you are based, but I'd say go to Burbage armed with the latest BMC burbage guide.  The Peak district: bouldering guide is also very good, but has a slightly harder emphasis.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
You should still be able to get hold of a copy of the RockFax Peak Bouldering guide.  Ignore the B-grades.
Or just go out and try some stuff.  Burbage South (sorry, Bizzle Shizzle or whatever) boulders are definitely worth a look.  Go out, have fun.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
If your passing then go to Ramshaw and do Shark's Fin. Its about HS (predates bouldering grades) but is about V0. Its nice.

Somebody's Fool

• forum hero
Or instead of walking ten minutes for one problem, go to the Roaches. 

I started bouldering there without a guide and used to have a whale of a time.  A bit of exploring will throw up many superb problems in your grade range.  There's all sorts of boulders that guide writers don't deem to be worthy of a write up, yet provide excellent sport for beginners. I'm welling up just thinking about it.

haydnw

Thanks very much for all the responses (sorry it's taken me so long to reply!). The Roaches seems like a good starting place as it's halfway between my house and my brother's!  :)

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
the roaches, burbage south or cratcliff tor are all good places to go when your just starting out

haydnw

Just got back from the Roaches, it was ace  ;D    Thanks all.

AndiT

• forum abuser
Damn right! There's a load of problems described in your grade range in the BMC Roaches guide i.e Peace of Mind Boulders, Lower Tier + Upper Tier Boulders. When you've exhausted them, Doxey's Pool and Skyline Boulders are also a great place to visit with loads to go at. There is a guide called 'High Over Buxton' too which you might get from Jo Royle in Buxton, this covers a load of esoteric areas too in the Three Shires Head region, and if the Limestone sections are avoided, is actualy worth having.

Get to it!

haydnw

Get to it!
I'm doing my best - went to Burbage South today and had a nice play around there too.  :) Will have a look at the other books you mentioned, cheers.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal